Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has do any HPDEs with their DCT. I’m a manual guy but trying to weigh the differences before I purchase. The DCT is of course faster but has anyone pushed it at the track? I’m coming from a daily driven but track prepped supercharged v6 5th gen camaro. No stranger to manuals and I know it’s more engaging. But I want to hear from the DCT guys/gals on this one!

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
101 Posts
I drove my DCT as hard as they let me at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA as part if their all day racing school. Had several track sessions. Drove a session in each of the transmission settings available and also left track sense on. Also did some manual shifting with it. The car did great and didn't have any issues. As likely expected, it felt kind if dogish in normal mode as it would shift seemingly more economically and took too long to shift when accelerating out of corners or when I was waved to pass. The other settings and manual mode were great though. The shift speed is phenomenal and didn't run into any issues during back to back 20 min sessions. Mods I had at the time were Mando BBK and supplied pads, stainless brake lines, high temp brake fluid, camber bolts (-2.2 in front and -1.9 rear), and motor mounts as wheel hop in the car can be bad at times.

My last several cars were all manuals (last was a 585 whp supercharged 6th gen coyote) and wanted to try out a DCT this time around. I have actually been loving it tbh. Really let's me focus on the other aspects of driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove my DCT as hard as they let me at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA as part if their all day racing school. Had several track sessions. Drove a session in each of the transmission settings available and also left track sense on. Also did some manual shifting with it. The car did great and didn't have any issues. As likely expected, it felt kind if dogish in normal mode as it would shift seemingly more economically and took too long to shift when accelerating out of corners or when I was waved to pass. The other settings and manual mode were great though. The shift speed is phenomenal and didn't run into any issues during back to back 20 min sessions. Mods I had at the time were Mando BBK and supplied pads, stainless brake lines, high temp brake fluid, camber bolts (-2.2 in front and -1.9 rear), and motor mounts as wheel hop in the car can be bad at times.

My last several cars were all manuals (last was a 585 whp supercharged 6th gen coyote) and wanted to try out a DCT this time around. I have actually been loving it tbh. Really let's me focus on the other aspects of driving.
Awesome I’m glad to hear that, I did hear that about “normal” mode on the DCT when track driving, but hey that’s what N mode is for! And that’s exactly why I’m considering a DCT the aspect of letting me focus more on the track. Any special prep needed for the DCT for track driving?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I switched from an upgraded 2019 R-spec manual to a DCT N for track use primarily because I was being too cautious in my downshifts. Also, there were times in my manual where I could benefit from shifting from 4th to 5th briefly like down a long straight, but in order to save an extra downshift I would just breathe the throttle until my braking point. Even with all of these limitations, I'm not a lot faster in my DCT N, but it is easier to drive.

HOWEVER,

I did extensive testing in my multiple track days this year (6). Sometimes I shifted myself using the flappy paddles. Sometimes letting TrackSense shifting do the automatic shifting for me. Always in N mode. Most always with Traction Control and Stability Control off. TrackSense was always faster than me. This was a big blow to my ego that even with all of the aids, that I could not shift as smartly as the car left to its own devices.

Four of the track days were SCCA Time Trials where the 5th and 6th sessions are timed and counted. I would always let TrackSense takeover for these. For the practice sessions and other fun track days, I would shift myself using the paddles. It's more fun.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
29 Posts
I've done 2 track days in the N, and it's great having the DCT. I'm coming from a 6 speed manual in a Mazdaspeed3 with about +100whp. I'm already 2-3 seconds faster at my local track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts