Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around and I can't seem to find the 0w 30 Quaker State recommended in the owners manual. I'm looking at doing an oil change here soon and would like to run the Quaker State but if I can't find it what is a good alternative? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at Walmart, Auto Zone or O' Reilys. One of the three ought to have it. However if you're not from a northern tier state, I wouldn't use 0W anything. Start with a 5W30 etc.
I'm in Colorado and during the winter it tends to get pretty cold where I'm at and then in the summer months I'm looking at temps in the 70's to 90's. That being said, would you suggest running the 5w-30 year round?

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
Just below you in upstate NM. IMO, yes. You'll find more protection in 5w30 than in 0W30.
I am curious why 5w would offer more protection than 0w? I use 0w-40 in my Gen Coupe and it actually runs better with that grade of oil. With 132k miles of year-around driving I think it is doing pretty well. I used 5w-30 on my first oil change for the VN as there was no 0w-30 anywhere that I shop. Since it's winter vacation is in my garage the lower number is not critical.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Keep in mind that if your car lives in an enclosed garage you can probably get away with a heavier cold viscosity than what the manual states. Also keep in mind that cold viscosity only matters when the engine is, well, cold. Within minutes of starting, the second number is the only one that matters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts