Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
Besides the front bumper coming off. What other parts would you recommend to come off? Mirrors? I might leave the caps black on the mirrors. Also, where did you order the clips for the side skirts? Thanks.
Anything you take off the car will just make it easier for you to install and be able to wrap into areas deeper without having to worry about cutting or tucking into panel gaps.

Mirrors - Not necessary to take off as they are not door mounted like a lot of other cars, however they are easy to remove and will aid you in wrapping the doors and not having to tuck under where the mirror sits.
Door Handles - 100% necessary to remove, way easier to wrap off the car should you decide to wrap the handles. Also necessary to be able to wrap into the door cup without having an ugly seam.
Roof Rail Covers - A quick and easy piece to remove, makes wrapping the pillar and roof easier without having to tuck into and under the gasket.
Tail Lights - Not Necessary, but will make it easier to wrap deeper into the gap without having to work around the tail lights.
Head Lights - Not Necessary, but will make it easier to wrap deeper into the gap without having to work around the headlights and risk damaging them.
Antenna - If wrapping the roof, I always recommend removing the antenna, will make wrapping a lot easier without having to work around the antenna and will provide a cleaner end result. Access is fairly easy, remove clips in roof liner, pull down slightly front trunk area, and remove 19mm nut from antenna.
Rear Bumper - Not necessary, but will allow you to wrap deeper into areas and allows the separation of the lower black diffuser piece.
Front Bumper - Not necessary, but given the difficulty of this bumper, I would take the time to remove it and remove all grill, fog light inserts etc. from the bumper. Leaving only the painted bumper piece to wrap with no obstructions.
Side Skirts - I would recommend taking these off, allows access to the lower rocker of the car to be wrapped and wont have to worry about tucking between body panels and side skirts. Like previously mentioned, you will 100% break clips taking these off. I order new ones from my local Hyundai Parts Department. I can dig up the part # for anyone interested.

If anyone needs help removing any of these pieces, I am always here to help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Head Lights - Not Necessary, but will make it easier to wrap deeper into the gap without having to work around the headlights and risk damaging them.

Side Skirts - I would recommend taking these off, allows access to the lower rocker of the car to be wrapped and wont have to worry about tucking between body panels and side skirts. Like previously mentioned, you will 100% break clips taking these off. I order new ones from my local Hyundai Parts Department. I can dig up the part # for anyone interested.
Headlights - Not sure if its different between regions or model years, but I found it necessary to remove the headlights. (2021 USA Market) There is a 'gasket' around the headlight that snugs up to the fender. I wasn't able to properly tuck the wrap on the contour of the fender without removing the headlights.

I would be appreciative for those part numbers. I called my dealer a few days ago to replace the ones I broke and they could only come up with one part number. There are a few different clip types, so I know that is wrong. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Justroc

This bumper insert feels like im going to break it trying to get it out. Did you remove it? Is there a trick you would be kind enough to share?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Eureka!

I figured it out. I was doing it correctly, but the clips needed more 'love' to let loose.

The retain part of the clip is on the bumper itself, you give the insert a good amount of force while pushing the clips AWAY from the insert.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mr @Justroc

I am terribly sorry to keep asking questions, but this bumper is kicking my arse. If you would like, I would be happy to send you a few dollars for your expertise.

Similar to the boomerang, can you PLEASE mark up where you made seems on the main bumper? (A roadmap so to speak)

I am trying to get around the Yellow area but I can't seem to do it without ending up with too much stretch, or other dumbness of my own making.

If I do get the wrap around the corner and down I'm left with the bunched up material. Relief cut doesnt help as the amount of the wall that shows in the middle of the accent pcs is too deep.
Automotive lighting Hood Luggage and bags Sleeve Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
@Lunacy

We actually did the entire front bumper in 1 piece. Where you are putting your seam is definitely an easier alternative to tackling this bumper, so good thinking.

I marked up your bumper piece, hope this helps!

1. How you have the vinyl layed is perfect. From this point I would give the bridged area complete heat and using a wrap glove slowly start to feed the vinyl more in towards the recessed opening. Following the green arrows work your way around. Working this way should help you relieve any excess material as you can pull up and out towards the left hand side of the piece.
2. Once you have the vinyl layed in a bit further, you will begin to be fighting your bridged area. I would start with a small relief cut (Blue Line) dead centre of the bridged area. Give it a touch of heat and once again with your glove you should be able to work these areas in a bit deeper. Once you have reached the point where you are fighting your bridge again, make a bigger relief cut (Orange Circle) to finalize the lay in this area before making final cuts. Be careful with your relief cut though, it is very easy to leave an area short with how deep the recess is.
3. The harsh almost 90 degree angle here isnt a fun one. Your attempt here is actually decent, it is very hard to get around this corner and leave it wrinkle free. Unfortunately when piecing everything back together, it is still entirely visible and must be covered properly. The best way to do this is by using whats called the triangle technique. You are going to want to place one hand where ive marked each yellow arrow. pull the vinyl completely up so it is back flush with the surface. Get someone to give you a hand and gently heat where I have scribbled in Red. While doing so you are going to gently stretch in opposite directtions around the corner, making a triangle with your hands and the corner. This should be able to get you around the corner and move your wrinkles towards each end of where you grabbed from rather then on the actually bend.
4. https://www.amazon.com/FOSHIO-Wrapp...=1&keywords=wrap+tools&qid=1624365659&sr=8-11
I highly suggest you get yourself a set of these micro squeegees if you don't have one already. The Red (Medium Stiffness) is a great tool to help you tuck the vinyl around this bend and get rid of those wrinkles.
5. That entire elevation will take consistent lifting of small amounts, heating and squeegeeing to get wrinkle free. Be patient, it will be frustrating. Vvivid is a thicker material then most out there, so its going to be a bit harder to do so then Avery for example. As long as you have extra material, I would keep trying until you are happy the results!

Let me know if you need anything else!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm looking at buying a small roll to test a few pieces. I want to get enough to do the hood which is fairly easy and enough leftover to attempt some smaller intricate parts, door handle and maybe mirror caps. Where is a good place to buy the vinyl from? Is amazon a good place? I ordered a few samples and they came and they were presented professionally. Is it ok to just buy a 5x8 roll and assume it will all be in one piece?

That is what I am looking at getting in a 5x8 roll. I will also grab one of those wrap kits that have most of the tools needed to start. $150 to see if doing the whole car would be worth it. It's something that could keep me busy for a month or two as I slowly put it together.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
I'm looking at buying a small roll to test a few pieces. I want to get enough to do the hood which is fairly easy and enough leftover to attempt some smaller intricate parts, door handle and maybe mirror caps. Where is a good place to buy the vinyl from? Is amazon a good place? I ordered a few samples and they came and they were presented professionally. Is it ok to just buy a 5x8 roll and assume it will all be in one piece?

That is what I am looking at getting in a 5x8 roll. I will also grab one of those wrap kits that have most of the tools needed to start. $150 to see if doing the whole car would be worth it. It's something that could keep me busy for a month or two as I slowly put it together.
I am north of the border, so my suppliers would be different, however amazon is probably always the easiest. I would also check out Metro Restyling | Leading Worldwide Supplier of Car Wrap They may have cheaper pricing than amazon. When you select a 5x8 roll, yes it would be one continuous piece of vinyl. All wrap will always come 60" (5ft) x what ever desired length you choose. Best of luck on the hood! Avery is definitely the best starting material to work with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I have enough vinyl to attempt doing the front hood. Depending on how that goes, I can see if wrapping the rest of the car will be within my patience level. From what I see, doing the side skirts will be annoying with how many clips are breaking. Going to be a decent amount of money for replacement clips. Any tips for getting the door handles off? Is it removing the cover for the key slot, and then a screw or a bolt inside the door jam holding that in place?

·
Registered
138 Posts
From what I see, doing the side skirts will be annoying with how many clips are breaking. Going to be a decent amount of money for replacement clips. Any tips for getting the door handles off? Is it removing the cover for the key slot, and then a screw or a bolt inside the door jam holding that in place?
Side Skirts... You will break clips, Plastic bonder and some $$$ on clips. The main clips to keep intact are the ones that run up the 'sail' section at the rear of the skirt. If you break those, you will not get the sail to sit right against the car without some negative effects. The rest of them you can deal with only half of them. Its REALLY over and poorly engineered.

Door Handles are really easy. Driver side has the little lock you push in on the bottom to remove the cover, Passenger side does not. Both sides, remove the rubber cap in the door jam, and turn the bolt. The bolt is captured so it doesn't come all the way out. If you have a hard time getting the driver side out, keep turning the bolt while pulling on the lock with pliers. Not crazy hard, just enough so that it still makes the bolts threads drag on the hosing. I have also heard of people removing the bolt all the way, but I didn't want to risk having to fish the bolt out of the insides of the door.
Once you remove the rear part of the door handle, just unhook the wire and pull the handle towards the rear of the door. Took me 5 mins to get them on and off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good news. After a little over a month of using some of my free time I got her done.

This is my first time wrapping and I already have found a few issues once I pulled the car outside in the 95 degree sunlight.

The mistakes that I have found so far :
1) Bumper corners that I stretched into ( small corners ) are pulling back a little in 2 spots.
2) A random spot in the middle of a panel developed a wrinkle. No idea how it formed as its not even on a corner or near a stretch.
3) The front bumper has the fake vents with the two trim pcs. When reinstalling them to the bumper you have to press in and slide forward at the same time. That created tension on the wrap as the part was pulling on it. As soon as the wrap was in the sun, it relaxed and created a few small wrinkles in the direction of that pull.

All in all... Its not perfect and has a few small things that I will always know are there, but I'm happy with the result. I don't think I will ever use Vvivid again as it is rather hard to work with. I bought a little bit of Avery just to see the difference. Vvivid is thicker so it is harder to stretch properly, and has much more tack before its in the position that you want. Vvivid is also much harder to use on small and fine work. Avery was a little bit easier to tear, but being that its easier to work with, you're less likely to get into a tear condition as long as you aren't being negligent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Update : TLDR - Vvivid is not a brand I will ever use again.

The Grey is holding up alright with just a couple additional spots that failed after some sun heat cycles. (100 F kinda days)
The Green though.... Its pulling away, splitting, and has adhesive failure in spots that had ZERO stretch on a flat surface.
Tail light tint is doing alright. only one issue and it was my fault for not leaving enough material to tuck.

·
Registered
2020 VNpp tuned
30 Posts
I did my side mirror today and it was my first attempt and doing any wrap. It took me forever and only got one done. I still haven't decided if I want to continue it myself or just take it to a shop. I'm gonna try to do some of the interior parts to see they are any easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So, finally after this tube sitting in my apartment for 3 months, I wrapped the hood. Now this was just a test to see if it was doable and see how difficult it actually was. I'm happy to say the front hood turned out WAY better than I thought. Now of course, I think the front hood is the easiest of all of the surfaces. I feel confident with enough weekends I can do the doors, the front fenders and the rear quarter panel, as well as the small piece connected to the hatch. I think I will get a professional to do both bumpers as they look like a nightmare. Here are some pictures of the work. It's not perfect, there are some glue lines and 1 or 2 areas were a piece of dust got stuck under the wrap which is actually difficult to see. The amateur looking area is the trimming I did on the backside. It's very uneven and a part at the top of the hood near windshield has a very small overlap. It's tough to see though as it is a close color on the inside.

I'll update as I go on the other parts I work on. So busy with work so It may be a while until I get to the rest. I'm happy with the outcome. I am just wondering how much a shop will charge to do both bumpers if I provide the wrap and it's already off of the vehicle.

If anyone is interested in the wrap and the color it is Avery Dennison SW900 Satin Dark Basalt Vinyl Wrap.
Car Tire Vehicle Grille Hood
Hood Light Automotive tire Helmet Automotive design
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Car Plant Wheel Land vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

21 - 35 of 35 Posts