Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at possibly wrapping the car myself. I have a black 2021 which was my second to last color preference but I was worried I wouldn't of been able to find another 2021 N Manual so I jumped on it. Black cars look amazing right after it's cleaned but after a rain or sitting outside one night, it looks like ****. I was looking at wrapping the car myself as I'm sure a quote would be probably $3-5k. The only parts I am worried about doing is the front bumper and the wing, I might just leave the wing black. I can get enough wrap for the car for under $600. So even if I go through a bunch of vinyl from learning, I could still be well below what the quotes I would get. I would also love to know how to do it for future cars. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Watching the pros wrap my hood on my R-spec was enough to know that I should not attempt it. And the hood is the most simple flattest part of the car. I asked for a quote to do the front bumper in clear paint protection film and the guy took one look at our bumper, shook his head and said $500. That bumper is a nightmare.

If you attempt it, have a buddy that is willing to help you for a full day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watching the pros wrap my hood on my R-spec was enough to know that I should not attempt it. And the hood is the most simple flattest part of the car. I asked for a quote to do the front bumper in clear paint protection film and the guy took one look at our bumper, shook his head and said $500. That bumper is a nightmare.

If you attempt it, have a buddy that is willing to help you for a full day.
Yeah, the front bumper is crazy, definitely would be done in multiple pieces. I probably wouldn't wrap it all in one sitting. It would be something that came along over a few days. I could leave my car sit as I have a second vehicle or just drive it while it's being worked on. I got quoted $2000 for PPF for the front 1/3 of the car. If I wanted the entire car wrapped, probably looking at ~$4000.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have wrapped my car twice, when I owned an s550 mustang, I had somebody damage I didn't want to pay a body shop to repair and paint. Tools and materials, and learning as you wrap. My second time was better but there are parts that I messed up on the paint and some on the trim. I really don't recommend wrapping a car unless it's 5+ years old or there is damage you want to cover up.

Wrap will never shine as paint.

Wrap loves pollen and leaves will stick unless you take care of it right away.

If it's your first time wrapping expect to spend 6-8 weekends on wrapping.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am wrapping mine right now. I went through the same thought process as you.

If you do tackle the project, feel free to message me and link up on facebook messenger or something to strategize.

Hope this helps....

TLDR :
1) Can you do it... yes.
2) Will it take you several weekends to get it done... yes.
3) To do it right, you have to take some of the car apart, be prepared for broken clips and some frustration. (you WILL break clips on your side skirts)
4) Is it worth it do do it yourself... If you like slow and tedious work and its your second car (like I do) then why not!

I have Plasti-dipped cars before and thought, why not try Vinyl. I ordered enough to do 1.5X my car knowing that I would have learning curve.

I started on the doors, nice flat & vertical surface. Removed the door handles and door trim and went to work. They turned out rather well. Wrapped the handles and put them back on. Moved to the front fenders. Messed the first one up at the end by cutting to far, so I ripped it off the car and restarted.

I just started the bumper yesterday. I now know why the quote I got was 3K+. The front bumper alone is going to take me a few days due to all the angles and inlays that are needed. I am also wrapping the red accents. The front red boomerang pieces I have tried twice now and cant get full coverage without stretching and glossing my matte wrap.

2.5 Days - Doors
1 Day - Front Fenders
0.5 Day - Rocker panels (behind side skirts)
1Day / Ongiong - Front Bumber

·
Registered
11 Posts
After working at a wrap shop for many years (but not as an installer), here are some tips from the top of my head.

Clean your area well before you start. Wet mop preferred. You don't want any dust moving around when wrapping, any dust under the vinyl will be visible.

Definitely wash well before with a soap that will remove any grease or wax on the paint. Maybe claybar before too. Any grit will show. Make sure car is DRY.

Have a heat gun/blowdryer handy, but don't overheat the vinyl. Don't overstretch either.

----
$4k for a wrap. Yes. It's all labor and time, plus a premium for a skilled trade. You get what you pay for.
Colour change wraps are inspected a lot more than a wrap for a plumber van and expected to last a lot longer.

Oh, and you will need to hand wash for the life of the wrap. No more hands-free carwash, it could peel up a corner or seam.

I'm sure I could spend hours typing more info, but I'm sure it's on youtube.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I commend you all for doing the wrap yourselves! Not an easy task at all, but changing the color of the car transforms its looks nice nothing else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am wrapping mine right now. I went through the same thought process as you.

If you do tackle the project, feel free to message me and link up on facebook messenger or something to strategize.

Hope this helps....

TLDR :
1) Can you do it... yes.
2) Will it take you several weekends to get it done... yes.
3) To do it right, you have to take some of the car apart, be prepared for broken clips and some frustration. (you WILL break clips on your side skirts)
4) Is it worth it do do it yourself... If you like slow and tedious work and its your second car (like I do) then why not!

I have Plasti-dipped cars before and thought, why not try Vinyl. I ordered enough to do 1.5X my car knowing that I would have learning curve.

I started on the doors, nice flat & vertical surface. Removed the door handles and door trim and went to work. They turned out rather well. Wrapped the handles and put them back on. Moved to the front fenders. Messed the first one up at the end by cutting to far, so I ripped it off the car and restarted.

I just started the bumper yesterday. I now know why the quote I got was 3K+. The front bumper alone is going to take me a few days due to all the angles and inlays that are needed. I am also wrapping the red accents. The front red boomerang pieces I have tried twice now and cant get full coverage without stretching and glossing my matte wrap.

2.5 Days - Doors
1 Day - Front Fenders
0.5 Day - Rocker panels (behind side skirts)
1Day / Ongiong - Front Bumber
Thanks for the tips, I will be deciding if I want to do it in a week or so. I may get a test sheet to see if i like the color. Would you say matte is tough to work with? What would be a good finish to work with? I'm assuming any textured or patterned wraps would look really bad if stretched to far, would gloss or satin be fine? I was thinking I wanted to go Blue. I am not the biggest fan of the Performance Blue that is offered. However of all the colors for the N, that would of been my preferred color. I was going to leave my roof black, which includes the A-pillar all the way back, the roof, the wing and the shark fin. So that would make that part easy. The only difficult part I see is the front bumper which looks like a nightmare to wrap haha.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Selecting a wrap is a task, but at least its fun picking your finish and color. Here is what I found during the startup process.

Pick your brand first
3M, Avery, Vvivid are the only three that I personally would look at. There might be other brands that are OK, but as far as quality and availability, those are the big three. I have been told horror stories on all three brands causing paint or clear coat issues, but I never found any proof (and I looked for a week). The only failures I found were people that did something dumb, or left the wrap on for way past the suggested life of the wrap.

• 3M : I was warned away from 3M as a first time ' rapper ' =D Glue lines and color degradation when stretching are common and until you have the experience to " read the wrap " as it was put to me, you'll be pulling up and restretching an area a few times until you learn what to /not to do.
  • Avery : Decent wrap, lots of options. I was told that this is the one you want for a first time wrap. Middle of the road in thickness so its less prone to stretching issues, while still being easy to work with.
  • Vvivid : The thickest in the list, with VERY tacky adhesive. I was warned that this is the hardest to use for first timers.

I picked Vvivid as I liked the finish of the Matte they have along with the thickness. The primary reason for me to wrap the car is to protect the delicate paint the N has. The thicker the film, the harder it is to damage it. It has created a few extra inlays for me, but I have found with it being thicker is that it is a little more forgiving for the heat and stretch method.

Finishes
The only types that I really researched are Matte, Gloss, and Satin. They all have their pros and cons, but in my honest opinion... Get what you want. You're obviously willing to put the effort in, why not take a little extra time to learn the nuance of whichever you pick. Matte and Satin can be messed up due to texture, but I have only caused it to gloss once so far due to being dumb with not paying attention to where the heat gun was pointing. The Gloss I played with could be messed up too, but not as easy. The one thing I noticed very clearly... Matte is A LOT easier to notice imperfections and any debris under the wrap because of the way the texture catches the light.

From what I have learned the real difference comes after the install. Matte and Satin finishes should never be waxed and you have to pick your solvents properly or you with damage the texture and make it glossy. In other words, they are a little more effort to maintain.

I went with Matte Black Metallic and love it. The anthracite color in direct light and a clean black without direct light. Makes the body lines of the car REALLY show.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Forgot to add.

Spend the extra dollar and dont bargain bin your wrap. I bought my accent color from one vendor on Amazon and a same-ish color came in and was an obvious knock off. I also got my main wrap from a wholesaler and it came in two different rolls. One was OBVIOUSLY not the same quality.

Only buy from a reputable dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
Hey everyone, new Veloster owner here. My wife picked up a 2020 Veloster N PP and is loving it.

We own and operate a wrap shop here in Toronto, Ontario. @Lunacy above has posted some great information for anyone looking to wrap their own vehicle. I would definitely recommend Avery Dennison to anyone attempting their own wrap for the first time. It is the most forgiving and easiest film to work with, that allows you to stretch the vinyl even without heat. I strongly recommend buying a full 25 yard roll, this will give you enough material to make mistakes along the way!

In regards to wrap finish, anyone looking for the Matte styling, I always recommend my customers to chose a Satin Finish instead. As mentioned above, Matte wraps are extremely difficult to take care of and even the grease from our hands in daily use can stain the wrap. With a Satin finish, you are still achieving the look of a matte wrap, however the wrap is a bit more forgiving when it comes to cleaning and regular maintenance. I do highly recommend anyone looking for a Satin or Matte wrap to ceramic coat the vehicle after wrapping, this will give you ease of cleaning and long-term longevity on the wrap.

We have just finished up wrapping our N, and can give some words of advice to anyone looking to do it themselves.
  • Overall our cars are fairly forgiving and have some easy panels. However, the Front Bumper is a completely different ball game. We have wrapped everything from VW Golfs to Lambos and R8s, and we can honestly say the front bumper was challenging.
  • Anytime we do a wrap, we completely disassembly the vehicle to ensure the deepest coverage possible and eliminate any possibilities of seeing the OEM Colour. We HIGHLY recommend doing a complete disassembly prior to wrap. Our front Grills are a massive pain to remove, with a bunch of stubborn clips and screws holding it together. When removing our side skirts, you will definitely break a lot of clips trying to get them off. We ended up just ordering a full batch of replacements to make things easier for reassembly.
Below is the finished product! We wrapped our N in KPMF Momentum Pink with Avery Gloss Emerald Green Accents and Pillars and Roof in Avery Gloss Black to complete the look! While the wrap was underway we sent the OEM Rims out for powder coating in a High Gloss White.

If anyone has any questions regarding anything wrap related, feel free to ask away!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone, new Veloster owner here. My wife picked up a 2020 Veloster N PP and is loving it.

We own and operate a wrap shop here in Toronto, Ontario. @Lunacy above has posted some great information for anyone looking to wrap their own vehicle. I would definitely recommend Avery Dennison to anyone attempting their own wrap for the first time. It is the most forgiving and easiest film to work with, that allows you to stretch the vinyl even without heat. I strongly recommend buying a full 25 yard roll, this will give you enough material to make mistakes along the way!

In regards to wrap finish, anyone looking for the Matte styling, I always recommend my customers to chose a Satin Finish instead. As mentioned above, Matte wraps are extremely difficult to take care of and even the grease from our hands in daily use can stain the wrap. With a Satin finish, you are still achieving the look of a matte wrap, however the wrap is a bit more forgiving when it comes to cleaning and regular maintenance. I do highly recommend anyone looking for a Satin or Matte wrap to ceramic coat the vehicle after wrapping, this will give you ease of cleaning and long-term longevity on the wrap.

We have just finished up wrapping our N, and can give some words of advice to anyone looking to do it themselves.
  • Overall our cars are fairly forgiving and have some easy panels. However, the Front Bumper is a completely different ball game. We have wrapped everything from VW Golfs to Lambos and R8s, and we can honestly say the front bumper was challenging.
  • Anytime we do a wrap, we completely disassembly the vehicle to ensure the deepest coverage possible and eliminate any possibilities of seeing the OEM Colour. We HIGHLY recommend doing a complete disassembly prior to wrap. Our front Grills are a massive pain to remove, with a bunch of stubborn clips and screws holding it together. When removing our side skirts, you will definitely break a lot of clips trying to get them off. We ended up just ordering a full batch of replacements to make things easier for reassembly.
Below is the finished product! We wrapped our N in KPMF Momentum Pink with Avery Gloss Emerald Green Accents and Pillars and Roof in Avery Gloss Black to complete the look! While the wrap was underway we sent the OEM Rims out for powder coating in a High Gloss White.

If anyone has any questions regarding anything wrap related, feel free to ask away!

View attachment 5849

View attachment 5850 View attachment 5851 View attachment 5852
View attachment 5853
Thanks for your reply! That N looks amazing! Was the car Black to begin with? I was also going to go with leaving the roof and the wing black. Less fuss with the wing and the shark fin. For the rear panel up by the wing and rear window, there is no separation in body so did you just cut it and leave it? Do you need to do anything to prevent edges from lifting if there isn't a panel gap to tuck it in?

I was going to go with a satin blue or a satin grey Avery wrap myself. I have ordered a few small samples to figure out what I want. So if you wouldn't mind answering, what would you charge someone to just wrap the front bumper? I have seen someone give a quote for $500 for just the bumper as it is a total pain in the butt. Let's say this person would bring you the bumper already off the vehicle. I was thinking the front bumper might be a huge headache which I wouldn't mind throwing a few hundred bucks at to get it done professionally. Again, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
But why pink?

I know, it's more noticeable for advertisement...................but pink! Nice job by the way and thank you for offering your expertise. Not many owners do for fear of losing business.

This is not my forte' surely. I could learn but it might be expensive. 🤣 (y)

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
Thanks for your reply! That N looks amazing! Was the car Black to begin with? I was also going to go with leaving the roof and the wing black. Less fuss with the wing and the shark fin. For the rear panel up by the wing and rear window, there is no separation in body so did you just cut it and leave it? Do you need to do anything to prevent edges from lifting if there isn't a panel gap to tuck it in?

I was going to go with a satin blue or a satin grey Avery wrap myself. I have ordered a few small samples to figure out what I want. So if you wouldn't mind answering, what would you charge someone to just wrap the front bumper? I have seen someone give a quote for $500 for just the bumper as it is a total pain in the butt. Let's say this person would bring you the bumper already off the vehicle. I was thinking the front bumper might be a huge headache which I wouldn't mind throwing a few hundred bucks at to get it done professionally. Again, thanks for your input.
Car was originally Chalk White! As a wrap shop owner, black cars are always our favourite to wrap. However, we got a great deal on the Chalk White and couldn't resist! Thus, having the car wrapped within the first week of ownership. In regards to the rear Pillar, our cars have a natural body line that runs angled upwards from the window to the hatch / wing area. We layed the pink first and used knifeless tape running along that body line to give us a straight cut. Then when laying the black overtop, we ran knifeless tape along this same body line, creating an 1/8" overlap on the base pink. As long as there is no stretch in this area, you will not have to worry about any lifting or peeling. You just have to be cautious when cleaning, not to catch the edge upwards as this will cause it to lift.

$500 is a reasonable quotation for our front bumpers. Our general going rate of only a front bumper wrap is usually around the $400 mark. Given the complexity and difficulty, $500 is definitely fair. If you are providing the installer with the film, I would say this number can be lowered, my $400 figure would include supplying the film myself rather than customer supplied. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
But why pink?

I know, it's more noticeable for advertisement...................but pink! Nice job by the way and thank you for offering your expertise. Not many owners do for fear of losing business.

This is not my forte' surely. I could learn but it might be expensive. 🤣 (y)
I honestly had the same reaction as yourself. Unfortunately it is my wifes car and not mine. What she says goes :LOL: Although I do enjoy the end results. You are correct though, she did chose a bright colour to help with advertisement purposes for our company while at shows and daily driving!

·
Registered
131 Posts
@Justroc
Not the color choice for me, but I do very much like the combo.

Thanks for the expert feedback. It helps us plebes that are just now getting into it.

How did you inlay the front bumper boomerang vents? (The red accents) I cant see a clever way to hide the overlay.

You mentioned Ceramic coating. I assume you have experience with Matte and Ceramic? Do you have a suggested brand?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car was originally Chalk White! As a wrap shop owner, black cars are always our favourite to wrap. However, we got a great deal on the Chalk White and couldn't resist! Thus, having the car wrapped within the first week of ownership. In regards to the rear Pillar, our cars have a natural body line that runs angled upwards from the window to the hatch / wing area. We layed the pink first and used knifeless tape running along that body line to give us a straight cut. Then when laying the black overtop, we ran knifeless tape along this same body line, creating an 1/8" overlap on the base pink. As long as there is no stretch in this area, you will not have to worry about any lifting or peeling. You just have to be cautious when cleaning, not to catch the edge upwards as this will cause it to lift.

$500 is a reasonable quotation for our front bumpers. Our general going rate of only a front bumper wrap is usually around the $400 mark. Given the complexity and difficulty, $500 is definitely fair. If you are providing the installer with the film, I would say this number can be lowered, my $400 figure would include supplying the film myself rather than customer supplied. Hope this helps!
Besides the front bumper coming off. What other parts would you recommend to come off? Mirrors? I might leave the caps black on the mirrors. Also, where did you order the clips for the side skirts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
8 Posts
@Lunacy
The Red Front Bumper Accent pieces are definetly a challange to wrap. Refering to the picture below, we first lay the most visible areas in yellow with an inlay. Each inlay is cut slightly inside the natural body lines. We then lay the orange inlays using knifeless tape to overlap the areas overtop of the yellow inlays by 1/8". Once these areas are covered, we then lay the blue, main piece of vinyl covering the entire piece. When laying the blue, fully squeegee the vinyl over all flat areas of the main piece, this will cause the vinyl to be bridged over top of the recessed openings. Once the vinyl is bridged, make a small relief cut dead center of the recess to allow you to now feed the film over top of your inlays. Once the vinyl is fed in, you will now carefully cut just past your inlays, which will leave you with about an 1/8" overlap all around. This will be the easiest and best long term hold for this type of piece. If you need any further help, feel free to message me!

In regards to Matte and Ceramic Coating, I have done many of these and 100% recommend you to do so. The ceramic coating will help to seal the matte wrap and will brighten and intensify the colour. You will end up with a result closer to a satin finish after coating, however the way the coating highlights body lines on a matte wrap is insane! As far as brands go, we are an IGL Coatings Certified Shop, so we stay loyal to IGL. IGL is a great company with affordable pricing and an easy application. Their line of "IGL Shield" is specifically meant for Wrap and is as easy as wiping it on with a application sponge and simply buffing it off with a dry microfiber. There are tons of ceramic coatings on the market currently and I am sure you have heard of Ceramic Pro before, personally I would be cautious and stay away, I have seen a lot of bad things happening with Ceramic Pro lately, at least locally in my area.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts