Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like an easy mod. Turn in is already sharp in this car. My 2011 WRX got sharper with thicker bars.

I understand they played with sway bar tuning in the N vs the Turbo Veloster.

Does anybody have positive experience with different swaybars?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am forward to hearing about sway bars. I want to get one for the rear to have the car rotate more at the track. Haven't decided which one to get. There seems to only white line and Pierce Motorsports. IDK if the Pierce one fits the Ns with PP.

Also does anyone know how thick the factory rear bar is?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am forward to hearing about sway bars. I want to get one for the rear to have the car rotate more at the track. Haven't decided which one to get. There seems to only white line and Pierce Motorsports. IDK if the Pierce one fits the Ns with PP.

Also does anyone know how thick the factory rear bar is?
I got a response from Pierce and it does fit our cars. Theirs is adjustable and 19mm 4130 Chromoly. The factory bar is 18mm mild steel.

Reactions: RPMrush

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rear bar is the first thing I would do for Autox besides tires. Noticed severe understeer with mine at the last autox and the rear bar would help it rotate quicker. Im in for results for whoever gets one first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been had my Whiteline 22mm bar in with Whiteline end links for pretty much this whole summer. It's absolutely needed when running much stickier tires. I have my rear toe setup to .17 on both side and had the 255 71R tires at 50psi and it just would not rotate with the stock bar.

With the bar set at the soft setting, I'm playing with the rear pressures between 42psi to 50psi as I found anything above 42psi to be great for cone attack. Since it's almost the end of the season, I'm planning on running the stiffer setting and then playing around with pressures below 42psi so that it would rotate slightly faster but still have the tire grab when on throttle instead of overshooting me in a 180.

Whiteline end links also have poly bushings on the bottom while the stocks are rubber. Never noticed a difference when I was running the stock end links. But the OEM lock nuts for the end links worked their way off, thus why I just went ahead and bought the Whiteline end links. Which with the Whiteline end links, it has 4 washers that you use in between the bar and end link to prevent that.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
**** 50psi sounds insane. Did you remove the front bar? That should help you have more front grip.

I ordered the Pierce Motorsports Rear sway bar today. Looking forward to it. Can't wait to see how it changed the way car handles on track. I will also install the white line camber bolts to add some negative camber in the front.

Down the line, I will also need to get the adjustable endlinks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking of running the Whiteline 22mm with stock endlinks and just add washers or even lock washers to make sure they stay tight..If i end up breaking them, then I'll turn to the whiteline endlinks.

The 24mm bar they offer is designed to be run with their 24mm front swaybar. I don't want anything stiffer up front. Turn in and roll already feel pretty good. I do get a little lift off oversteer at higher speeds already so the adjustable 22mm I feel will be plenty for street/autoX.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I'm thinking of running the Whiteline 22mm with stock endlinks and just add washers or even lock washers to make sure they stay tight..If i end up breaking them, then I'll turn to the whiteline endlinks.

The 24mm bar they offer is designed to be run with their 24mm front swaybar. I don't want anything stiffer up front. Turn in and roll already feel pretty good. I do get a little lift off oversteer at higher speeds already so the adjustable 22mm I feel will be plenty for street/autoX.
I want to try the 24mm in front and back but for the time being was considering just changing the $hitty rubber bushings with black poly ones. The back ones look like a piece of cake but the front ones are a different story all together. BTW, just blue locktite the bolts, they shouldn't back off at all with that on there.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to try the 24mm in front and back but for the time being was considering just changing the $hitty rubber bushings with black poly ones. The back ones look like a piece of cake but the front ones are a different story all together. BTW, just blue locktite the bolts, they shouldn't back off at all with that on there.

Best regards,

-Mike
https://www.veloster.org/threads/sway-bar-diameters-between-2-0-turbo-n.89126/

I would be hesitant to put on a stiffer front bar. Looks like they have a smaller front bar on the N to help put power down. This thing needs all the help it can get with that.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
https://www.veloster.org/threads/sway-bar-diameters-between-2-0-turbo-n.89126/

I would be hesitant to put on a stiffer front bar. Looks like they have a smaller front bar on the N to help put power down. This thing needs all the help it can get with that.

Thank you for the advice. I may just put some poly bushings all around and see how that goes. If I want anything more I will go with the 24 mm rear bar and forget the front one. Thank you in advance.

-Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Ok, I spoke to White Line about using their 24MM bar with the stock front one. Here is what he said:

"Yes you can use the 24mm by itself, it will be more substantial if you are on stock springs. If on lowering springs, I would opt for the 22mm bar" That came from Mitchel Yardley from White Line.

Guess what I am about to order? :)

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Ok, just ordered the WhiteLine 24MM bar from Summit Racing. They have free shipping for orders over 99 bucks. It was $179.99 which is the going rate for this bar, but it is free shipping. Should be here next week sometime.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am curious as all H E L L how lift throttle oversteer is with that. It may be on my list next depending on your review. Oversteer is so fun. I've learned to catch it quickly, but I had too heavy a bar once and in AutoX I've spun my FWD car way too easy. Would just snap. It was a Ford Contour with a manual. I had an SRT-4 with hotchkiss front and rear bars and it would oversteer, but much more controllable and wouldn't snap.

Looking forward to your install.. staying on stock endlinks for now?

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I'm going to stay with stock end-links for now since I barely have 8K miles on the car. I will however use some blue lock-tite on the threads and let it dry for at least an hour after I am done so the nuts don't back off. I should be just fine if I do that. I think the VN will be more like the SRT-4 was. The Contour is like auto-crossing a Chevy Lumina. lol.... I can see why it would want to turn on ya. I am in search of a sharper turning and a flatter tuning vehicle. I think the 24mm bar will help with that. The outer holes are like a 22mm bar and the inner most bolt holes are like a 24mm bar. I am going to put mine on the 24mm setting. Screw it! lol....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am thinking on pairing the 24mm rear sway bar with this:

2019 Hyundai Veloster Rear Trunk Brace - Pierce Motorsports

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Well, I said screw it and bought it. I think it will work rather nicely together. I guess we will see. Ha, ha....
Well ****..That brace doesn't seem wide enough to do much. It claims to tie in the rear shock/spring area, but appears far short of the area.
My understanding of the rear suspension could be wrong. Extra stiffness to the rear couldn't hurt though.

Ya the Contour was a plowing dog. That heavy bar helped AutoX immensely as long as I didn't lift in a corner...lol
The SRT-4 was a tripoding fool with bars and would spin if heavy handed, but you could usually catch it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My brother did the rear trunk brace on his Focus ST and it made it way too stiff in the back. I drove it about 2mi and told him I wouldn't pull it out of the driveway like that.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Now you have to put it on one at a time to test the effect of each.
The sway bar came in today and all I can say is it is BEEFY!!! Going to put it on on Saturday with my son. He's very excited! I haven't got the trunk brace yet so I have no choice to review them separately. I wish Saturday was tomorrow! lol... I will let everyone know how the install is and the effects of the bar.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My brother did the rear trunk brace on his Focus ST and it made it way too stiff in the back. I drove it about 2mi and told him I wouldn't pull it out of the driveway like that.
I can guess why, but would you elaborate? I would imagine boxing in the rear could be too stiff as well given the N already has extra welds and bracing. I would hate to see someone who drives calmly box the rear in and then come into an emergency situation and lift in a corner and snap spin the car.

They chose to lighten the front bar on the N vs stiffening the rear to gain more front end grip without making it heavily oversteer off throttle.

At least the 24mm has some adjustability. The 22mm has 2 points as well.

I need a whole lot more corner time before I decide. I find this car's cornering limits so high and it's character forgiving and I kind of want to keep the forgiving nature intact due to how hard you have to drive to reach the limits. I enjoy hitting a corner hot and lifting to induce oversteer, but at the speeds required for this car to break away, I really want that to be progressive with zero snap. I can already feel the rear rotate in stock form.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts