Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I did my first oil change today (second ever for this car, first of my ownership) and noticed that the oil level post fill up was a bit different than other users reported here and wanted to get some opinions.

To start I put the both fronts up on jackstands and drained the oil pan, then removed the old filter. First thing I noticed is that the oil plug had no crush washer on it from the last fill up which I thought was a little strange. Also, the previous person who changed it had put a generic white Napa oil filter on there.

After letting all the oil drain out, I put the drain plug back on with an OEM Hyundai crush washer, torqued to 25 ft-lbs. I put the OEM Hyundai oil filter on (26300-35504) and torqued to 10 ft-lbs (per service manual).

Afterwards, I lowered the car back down and put in 4.5 quarts of Amsoil 0W-30 full synthetic, then started up the car and let it idle for a couple minutes. After idling for a few mins, I shut the car off and checked the dipstick to see where it was at. The level came in just above the L mark, so I put the last of the remaining quart in, and after re-checking the dipstick, the level still only came to about 3/4 of the way to the F mark:

Is this acceptable, or should I get another quart of 0W-30 to try to fill up to or possibly slightly above the F mark? I noticed on here that several users remarked about how their oil level was above the F mark after filling the oil, and even on my own car I had checked it before draining the oil and it was several millimeters above the max line on the dipstick.

Just want to check to see if the level it's currently at is acceptable or not, unfortunately I need to order the Amsoil online because nobody near me carries it so its a bit of a pain for me to order just one quart...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would check it after it's been sitting for a while to let all the oil drip down. I don't think our motors are that special that it needs to be checked right after startup. I think it's just the Mazda Skyactiv engines that require you start up the motor first before checking. Heck, when I do my oil change, I don't even bother checking the dipstick. Manual calls for 4.8qts and I just dump all 5qts in and call it a day.

On a side note, NAPA oil filters aren't bad. I think even their cheapest are WIX filters, which are known to be good filters. But to not put in a new crush washer, that's risky. Screw the tech that did that!

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check it after it's been sitting for a while to let all the oil drip down. I don't think our motors are that special that it needs to be checked right after startup. I think it's just the Mazda Skyactiv engines that require you start up the motor first before checking. Heck, when I do my oil change, I don't even bother checking the dipstick. Manual calls for 4.8qts and I just dump all 5qts in and call it a day.

On a side note, NAPA oil filters aren't bad. I think even their cheapest are WIX filters, which are known to be good filters. But to not put in a new crush washer, that's risky. Screw the tech that did that!
Yeah I checked the dipstick again this morning after letting the car sit overnight and it read just a hair above the F mark. Seems like you’re right, I just needed to give the oil time to settle back down into the crankcase. Interesting at any rate why some users report filling over the mark when adding 5 qts, it seems that changing the oil with the nose in the air gives a more complete drain of the oil pan.

I wasn’t too concerned about the filter, but the lack of crush washer was puzzling lol. I figured it’s better to add one to not risk damaging the oil plug surface.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Use nothing but a Hyundai oil filter, nothing, overfilling is accommodated for thru engineering and a GDI fuel blow up and fuel dilution.

Don’t ever go into a Hyundai dealer for service with anything but a Hyundai oil filter. They are excellent filters and engineered to provide the necessary oil pressure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here you go. Spec for drain and fill is just a hair over 5qts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts