Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo,

Looking for some new tires to throw on my Base VN. Anyone got any suggestions? The Pilot Sports I got on ran though rubber a bit too quickly for the grip they give.

-Johnny

·
Registered
122 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact Sports are the best tire Ive driven on in wet and dry....outside of pure race slicks or R compounds. When I throw my new wheels on they will have Contis on them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 to ECS. I loved them on my mustang. Great tire for the price. I might possible get them for my car too

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went through two sets of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires on my 2001 mustang gt convertible. They did well on spirited canyon driving and autocross, especially considering the vehicle was over 3,400 lbs. My favorite part about the tire was that I could get easily get over 20,000 miles out of a set.

I’ve been curious about the Conti Extreme Contacts; what cars were you guys running them on? How long did the tire last? Any track days or autocross?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had it for about a year on the mustang. I did 7-8 track days. One of them was HPDE. Tire did well. It would get greasy in an HPDE session. It was great in the rain, though. I still had a lot of tread left.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Indy 500s

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.
Had them on my Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT, great perfomance tires at a good price!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.
Had them on my Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT, great perfomance tires at a good price!
I heard a lot of good things about this tire too. Great in the wet. Can be lackluster at the track after few hot laps. But if you aren't tracking, excellent tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The tires that come with the base N are the best street tires out there. The MPSS are better than what comes on the PP even. If you are looking for longer tire life, you will sacrifice grip.

Reactions: SAWKVN

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the Firehawk Indy 500s on my 2015 Mustang and my 2016 Focus ST at the same time. I would not recommend them on the Veloster unless they have changed the sidewalls. I don't know if they used the same sidewall no matter what size tire it was on or what but the ones I had on my Focus ST were very stiff and every speed bump felt like a mountain. They rode perfectly on my Mustang and even did a 2 day track day on them at Barber when the high temp got to 26deg F. I stand by the Conti Extreme Contact Sports.
@Shredosaur I did multiple autocrosses on my Contis and drove to work on them everyday. My brother has done multiple autocrosses on his too. Both 2016 Focus STs with mods. I got 15,000 hard miles out of them. I live in east TN and those had multiple Tail of the Dragon runs on them along with multiple Devils Triangle runs too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How many sets of tires do you go through before it's cost justifiable to get a set of wheels for daily driving, a set for snow, and a set for track?

I don't track any of my current cars, but I do run a dedicated set of snow wheels and three season wheels on my daily and I get tons of life out of them. No driving like on tail of the dragon or a track day, but I can see having a set of track only tires if the tread life is so short and the cost so high.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How many sets of tires do you go through before it's cost justifiable to get a set of wheels for daily driving, a set for snow, and a set for track?

I don't track any of my current cars, but I do run a dedicated set of snow wheels and three season wheels on my daily and I get tons of life out of them. No driving like on tail of the dragon or a track day, but I can see having a set of track only tires if the tread life is so short and the cost so high.
Track day only tires and wheels are necessary when you experienced enough to extract everything out of the car and tires are the biggest limit. Let's say you want to upgrade to metallic brake compound. You can't run those with lower grip street tires. You will trigger ABS frequently.

Cost of going through summer tires don't really justify it. It's just the sensation of increased grip and performance.

Reactions: WoodmanMN
1 - 11 of 11 Posts