Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost finished installing the turbo back system on my N. Just some minor adjustments needed and heat shields to be put back. However, the downpipe from afe has two o2 sockets before the catalytic converter and there's only one o2 sensor for them. Which socket is the sensor supposed to go to? And what about the other hole? Should it be plugged or unplugged? Nothing mentioned about the two holes in the instructions. That's no plug of sorts that came with the downpipe either nor is it listed in the parts list.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
There should be a hole right after the cat and you need a j bend to properly install the rear O2 sensor. One of the other two holes does need to be plugged. Not sure which one. Best thing to do is test fit the top shield and see where the hole is on that and match it up to the pipe and plug the other one.

Hope this helped?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the j bend prevent the o2 sensor from fouling or something? If I'm suppose to just leave the 2nd hole open, then I'm more or less done. The o2 sensor prior to the car goes on the upper hole then, considering that's where the hole for heatshield is too.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
The J bend prevents it from throwing any codes. If you do not use the j bend you will get a P0420 code. Don't leave any holes on the DP open. Two are for O2 sensors and the 3rd one is for an air/fuel gauge using an O2 sensor like fitting but this is optional and if not using it then plug it so you don't get a leak. Hope this helps you?

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Im about to install mine, been sitting on it a few weeks.You can buy a plug to plug the extra hole, Just be sure to use thie highest temp antiseize you can incase you want to use it later. Look mine, the first hole off the entrace and the last hole just after the cat is the for the O2 sensors. The 2nd hole is for the wideband sensor, and is the one you want to cap if not using now.

Many (infact I have not found 1) people say that the AFE does not throw a code even if the 2nd sensor is not Jpiped. For instance, Nstylemotorsports on here ran his exactly as it came and is fine, youtube/ google/ even AFE says it is good to go. I picked up a J pipe like what Ghost mentioned just to be safe since installing it after the pipe is on looks like a PITA. I found mine for $18 local. They sell on Amazon for 30-40 and some members even have some to sell.

Pick up new studs and hardware at the turbo before install. Make sure you use anitseize. The higher temp the better. I have a bottle of loctite N5000 anitseize, that is metal free and rated for 2400F, its used in nuclear generators. Even back when I had a DSM, exhaust manifolds, wastegates, O2 housings, never had an issue when I used this stuff. 20 years later, still recommend this one antiseize for super hot parts. Get the best you can while you have it apart.... trust me.

I beleive everything entered above is accurate but you will know which place to install the top O2 sensor when you get the facotry off, but I honstly think it is the first 1 from the flange.

FYI, run a tap or O2 thread cleaner in the bungs before installing since AFE did a shoddy install on some of the o2 flang installs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The J bend prevents it from throwing any codes. If you do not use the j bend you will get a P0420 code. Don't leave any holes on the DP open. Two are for O2 sensors and the 3rd one is for an air/fuel gauge using an O2 sensor like fitting but this is optional and if not using it then plug it so you don't get a leak. Hope this helps you?

Br,

-Mike
Kinda odd it didn't come with a plug. You know what size and thread the hole is? Otherwise I may have to take out my o2 again to check.

I did get a p0030 when I finished installing the downpipe, but after clearing the code it hasn't appeared since. Drove about 30 miles afterwards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im about to install mine, been sitting on it a few weeks.You can buy a plug to plug the extra hole, Just be sure to use thie highest temp antiseize you can incase you want to use it later. Look mine, the first hole off the entrace and the last hole just after the cat is the for the O2 sensors. The 2nd hole is for the wideband sensor, and is the one you want to cap if not using now.

Many (infact I have not found 1) people say that the AFE does not throw a code even if the 2nd sensor is not Jpiped. For instance, Nstylemotorsports on here ran his exactly as it came and is fine, youtube/ google/ even AFE says it is good to go. I picked up a J pipe like what Ghost mentioned just to be safe since installing it after the pipe is on looks like a PITA. I found mine for $18 local. They sell on Amazon for 30-40 and some members even have some to sell.

Pick up new studs and hardware at the turbo before install. Make sure you use anitseize. The higher temp the better. I have a bottle of loctite N5000 anitseize, that is metal free and rated for 2400F, its used in nuclear generators. Even back when I had a DSM, exhaust manifolds, wastegates, O2 housings, never had an issue when I used this stuff. 20 years later, still recommend this one antiseize for super hot parts. Get the best you can while you have it apart.... trust me.

I beleive everything entered above is accurate but you will know which place to install the top O2 sensor when you get the facotry off, but I honstly think it is the first 1 from the flange.

FYI, run a tap or O2 thread cleaner in the bungs before installing since AFE did a shoddy install on some of the o2 flang installs.
Kinda wish I knew some of this before installing everything back, but it's whatever. Unlikely I'll take it apart anytime soon. You know what plug I can use for the open hole?

·
Registered
178 Posts

Cheap, prime shipping so you will get it fast. FYI if you are running with a 18MM hole in your downpipe, you will get some carbon build up and burns near this open hole. Might be able to hit up a local exhaust or auto shop for a similar thing but have it in minutes not 48 hours.You will also need a copper crush washer as this thing does not come with one. But they are easily avialable at any decent auto part shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Any updates? Take it you plugged the hole. What do you think? Any issues post install? Hope you had a great weekend man.
I finished plugging the hole 1-2 days ago, and you definitely need to. As expected, the exhaust gas burn a small hole through the heatshield. There's less whooshing sound, probably from the exhaust leak, which is good. No cel code after clearing the first code.

Brought the plug and some high temp anti seize from Amazon and a copper washer from advance auto. Probably cheaper if I just go to some other hardware store. They do not sell the washer by itself.

Now I need to find out how to tune the jb4 for the downpipe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks brother and keep us updated. Following your build too now.....
Well I've done a lot to it already. Got the afe exhaust installed along with the downpipe. Got an aem intake, jb4 and pedal module, and a bunch of suspension mods done to it (Pierce MS braces, boomba rear motor mount), Mando adaptive suspension module, short shifter adapter and bushings, and now a turbo inlet adapter coming in from Yames. Not to mention several cosmetic stuff.

Really close to being "done" for the time being. Just need an intercooler and some winter wheels/tires for the rest of the year. And last is a turbo upgrade, but probably after the warranty is up.

Maybe I'll do a comprehensive mod post

1 - 12 of 12 Posts