Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the AEM intake on their VN? Bought it for the sound I saw in multiple YouTube videos, like the flutter sound without a BOV. But I can't hear it at all. Just a woosh when you get on it, but no flutter.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
118 Posts
All you want is a woosh. That fluttering noise is the sound of a turbo operating in compressor surge, as the compressor 'chops' through the air rather than pushing the air into the engine. Flutter is not a good thing. Flutter is different than air venting from a BOV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is the flutter that you're referring to the 'gobble' or 'chatter' sound when one let's off the throttle under boost? I just picked up a 2019 PP 6MT that had just under 17K on the odometer when I took it home. The previous owner installed an AEM cold air intake, so I figured that this might be the place to ask the question.

This is my first car with forced induction, so I don't really know if the sounds I hear are correct or not, but when I accelerate and the boost comes in things seem to sound probably like they're supposed to...can't hear the turbo 'whine' but can hear what sounds like a whooshing noise, assumedly more air being sucked into the system, and my boost gauge indicates a positive rate. However, when I let off the throttle to shift, I hear what I can only describe as a 'gobble.' It sounds like a turkey.

So, is this normal? Is this 'flutter?' Is the BOV not doing what it's supposed to be doing? Should I check and make sure that everything is tight and installed correctly? The previous owner was nice enough to keep the stock intake in the box and the dealer delivered it with the car, so I am honestly thinking about taking it back to stock and seeing if that gobble noise disappears so I can at least have a baseline.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Post a video so we can hear what your specifically referring to.

Most likely your hearing the diverter venting into the intake tube and with the air pulse from the turbocharger.

Flutter, as some have described, is not flutter. Flutter is uncontrolled venting of boost pressure. What your hearing is simply induction noise and boost venting from the diverter .👍🇺🇸

1 - 9 of 9 Posts