Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an AEM cold air intake and filter on my veloster N, and have been driving with it for about two weeks (I installed it on Dec 13).

Today, I washed my car and decided to pop the hood on a whim, and immediately noticed that the air filter had somehow loosened itself and fallen off of the intake pipe completely and had been rattling around inside the heat shielding :eek:

I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but I had last checked the intake on Dec 17 to show a coworker and it was fine then. Unfortunately, I made a couple of hour+ long trips since then and put a good couple hundred plus miles on my car in that time.

How ****ed am I? I know running without an air filter is bad for cylinder walls/rings, but also really bad for the turbo right? Obviously I screwed that sucker back on as tight as I could to make sure it won't come loose again, but is there anything else I should do now? I looked it up and some people recommend changing the engine oil immediately, but I just changed it three weeks and a few hundred miles ago :rolleyes:

I suppose the only silver lining here is that all of the driving I have done in the last week or so has been on road, and it has been somewhat rainy/moist out so the level of air contaminants was likely diminished...

·
Registered
598 Posts
No one can tell you for sure, but in all likelihood you’re fine. Changing the oil can’t hurt, and is about all you can do to mitigate any damage, assuming there really was any at all to begin with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one can tell you for sure, but in all likelihood you’re fine. Changing the oil can’t hurt, and is about all you can do to mitigate any damage, assuming there really was any at all to begin with.
Would you recommend changing the oil and oil filter, or do you think just changing the oil would be fine since the filter was changed recently?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I recently installed an AEM cold air intake and filter on my veloster N, and have been driving with it for about two weeks (I installed it on Dec 13).

Today, I washed my car and decided to pop the hood on a whim, and immediately noticed that the air filter had somehow loosened itself and fallen off of the intake pipe completely and had been rattling around inside the heat shielding :eek:

I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but I had last checked the intake on Dec 17 to show a coworker and it was fine then. Unfortunately, I made a couple of hour+ long trips since then and put a good couple hundred plus miles on my car in that time.

How ****ed am I? I know running without an air filter is bad for cylinder walls/rings, but also really bad for the turbo right? Obviously I screwed that sucker back on as tight as I could to make sure it won't come loose again, but is there anything else I should do now? I looked it up and some people recommend changing the engine oil immediately, but I just changed it three weeks and a few hundred miles ago :rolleyes:

I suppose the only silver lining here is that all of the driving I have done in the last week or so has been on road, and it has been somewhat rainy/moist out so the level of air contaminants was likely diminished...
You’re fine. Simply pull the air box and check the intake tube for debris. Inherently there will a light coating of oil film inside the intake pipe. Simply remove it and clean the pipe out.

If there was going to be any issue it would be with the turbo as it’s directly in line with the intake tube.

Changing oil or filter will do nothing.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re fine. Simply pull the air box and check the intake tube for debris. Inherently there will a light coating of oil film inside the intake pipe. Simply remove it and clean the pipe out.

If there was going to be any issue it would be with the turbo as it’s directly in line with the intake tube.

Changing oil or filter will do nothing.

Happy New Year
Thanks Red, this makes me feel a bit more relieved 😅

I'll check the intake pipe for debris and clean it out. Hopefully no significant damage was done to the turbo compressor.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
No worries, we used to run open port fuel injection, open Mikuni Carbs, with velocity stacks on cars and motorcycles for much longer periods of time, with no ill effects. Just make sure everything is reassembled as it needs to be. Nah the turbocharger will be fine. You'd have to be ingesting pure dust over a much longer period of time, to cause any bearing damage.

You're good!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts