Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blizzak WS90

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I finally chose my winter wheels, now its time for some sweet winter tread!

I'm having some difficulty comparing my last few options. The reason being, I'm between straight up winter/snow tires and performance winter tires.
Here is the current list I've been looking at.

Performance Winter:
Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4
Blizzak LM001
Blizzak LM-60

Studless Winter/Snow:
Michelin X-Ice(Snow)
Blizzak WS90

I understand the Performance Winter Tires will not grip in the snow quite as nice as the Studless Winter/Snows.
Here in NE Ohio, Winters can be a toss up. Some years we get tons of snow, and some years its mostly dry pavement all winter long. Something like the WS90s seem like they would heavily compromise cornering with all that aggressive treading. On the other hand, the Michelin PA4 seem closer to an all season tire, and I don't think would offer all that much extra snow performance over a regular all season.

Would the Blizzak LM001 or Blizzak LM-60 bridge that gap between a super aggressive winter tire like the WS90 and the almost all season PA4s?

Does anyone have experience with any of these tires? The Blizzak LM001 on paper, seems to be the tire I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only input I can give regarding the listed, is the Michelin X-Ice I had on a previous WRX were outstanding in snow and icy conditions along with long tread life. Now on a Veloster N I have Cont Viking 7 and rate them right up with the Michelin's only time will tell on the tread life. One thing to note if this your first go around with snow tires they are in a whole different league then A/S but also be aware snow tires generally have a softer sidewall that will change the feel of the car, kind of squishy feeling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased the Michelin PA4's recently and threw them on my OEM wheels. It'll be funky running 245/35's but it was one of the only options that fit the OEM wheels. I live in Washington and we have similar winters. From the reading and research that I have done the PA4's do pretty well in snow, and I read a couple reviews of people putting them on Alpha Romeo's and Focus ST's and being very happy with their snow performance. I have them on my OEM set now however have not had the opportunity to test them out, so if you'd like I could let you know when I do

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a set of Sparco Terras in 18x8 +45 and put some 224/45 WS90s on them. If i was staying with stock wheels I would have gone with the PA4s but I couldn't justify the cost of those vs downsizing with new wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts