Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to post this on the main discussion about Oil Cans because I am asking for advice. The other post was discussing more technical issues which my post would not be adding anything to.

I am new to turbo engines and because I am at the older end of life I have not worked on engines for years.
I have a few questions about Oil Cans.
1/ Does installing an oil can cause any problems with the Hyundai warranty.
2/ Some people have said they thought Hyundai may have added a built-in oil separator because of engine failures in previous small engines. Because you get an engine warranty this would be cheaper for Hyundai than having to repair engines. You think it would be cheap to add something during manufacturing.
3/ The price for oil can kits is quite a wide band, from $50 to $500. The better ones have a fine filter at the top to prevent vapors going back into the engine and they have a proper metal oil separator mesh filter inside. I have seen Blackforest ($350-500), Mc Nally($230) and Mishimoto ($115-240). Without paying $200 more for one which looks pretty and has a name engraved on the lid, is there a good quality oil can. I do not mind paying for a quality oil can which will last and does the job well. What are the properties that make a good oil can, so I can use the list of properties when I start looking to buy one. My car only has 600 miles on it so this is the time to add one.
4/ Is there a maximum physical size which can fit in the VN+PP engine bay.

Any advice would be great, I just do not want to fall into a basic mistake because of not knowing what I should be looking for. My car is not a daily run around, when I start the car I usually do a minimum of 50 miles and it is not stop and start driving.
Thanks Dave

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
You will have absolutely NO warranty issues using a catch can unless you forget to empty it and it causes something to fail. Other than that you are fine. I went with a Mishimoto one made for the Veloster 1.6L turbo. It fit fine and works great. Plus, it on the less expensive side. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have absolutely NO warranty issues using a catch can unless you forget to empty it and it causes something to fail. Other than that you are fine. I went with a Mishimoto one made for the Veloster 1.6L turbo. It fit fine and works great. Plus, it on the less expensive side. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike
Thanks Mike, I have ordered this oil catch can and it should be here in the next few days. After looking through many posts on this forum I have found a lot of good advice.
I think I may mix some of the ideas that I have seen in the installation photo's which people have posted.
I will add my photo's once I have installed it so others who are looking can see the various options on installation. They all seem to work, but everyone has their own ideas on what they like. I must admit that I would not have thought of some of the options that people have come up with, so this is a good thing. Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts