Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, here is my position. I really hope someone can help. I have a 2021 veloster n dct. It is Bone stock. I am planning on putting mods interior and exterior, and also engine upgrades. Before I do that, I thought it would be wise to add an android infotainment system where I can Constantly Monitor my engine for any trouble after the engine mods. I found dash Command”. It is exactly what I’m looking for. I understand that it is iPhone and android, I also understand that I could mirror my iPhone. But I want something that is dedicated to gauges, and if I want to play a music video, or load any apps, then I can. I also understand that I cannot remove the factory infotainment system, as it is linked to the entire car . To the point. Is it at all possible to add an additional android infotainment system to this car? If so how? Do you have any recommendations?

your information is extremely valuable to me. Thank you for taking your valuable time.

Vegas

·
Registered
467 Posts
IMO constantly monitoring something engine related is just causing an unnecessary headache. You can get an OBD2 gauge that displays multiple parameters (like an Aeroforce gauge), and mount it on the dash. But by all means you could certainly wire in an android tablet / mount to the car. You could also just get an EK1 Pro from SXTH element which would monitor stuff and allow you to tune the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Guys, here is my position. I really hope someone can help. I have a 2021 veloster n dct. It is Bone stock. I am planning on putting mods interior and exterior, and also engine upgrades. Before I do that, I thought it would be wise to add an android infotainment system where I can Constantly Monitor my engine for any trouble after the engine mods. I found dash Command”. It is exactly what I’m looking for. I understand that it is iPhone and android, I also understand that I could mirror my iPhone. But I want something that is dedicated to gauges, and if I want to play a music video, or load any apps, then I can. I also understand that I cannot remove the factory infotainment system, as it is linked to the entire car . To the point. Is it at all possible to add an additional android infotainment system to this car? If so how? Do you have any recommendations?

your information is extremely valuable to me. Thank you for taking your valuable time.

Vegas

Vegas
IMO constantly monitoring something engine related is just causing an unnecessary headache. You can get an OBD2 gauge that displays multiple parameters (like an Aeroforce gauge), and mount it on the dash. But by all means you could certainly wire in an android tablet / mount to the car. You could also just get an EK1 Pro from SXTH element which would monitor stuff and allow you to tune the car.
That was going to be my suggestion as well. I keep my phone mounted on the dash and run the Torque Pro app. You can pull all sorts of sensors, and/or engine codes if you get any.

Font Line Technology Electronic device Screenshot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but I dont like using my phone, its just too small. So, if you hear of a way to add an a seperate android unit, please PM me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can just dashboard mount one, I don't know what other type of solution you are looking for. There is no more space on the dash itself to put one. You can't put it in front of the passenger because of the airbag, and if you put it in front of you its blocking your vision. You could mount it behind the original screen and angle it towards you, but seems like a lot of non-reversible modding for a tablet.

·
Registered
2022 DCT VN, 2005 Honda S2000
75 Posts
Thanks guys, but I dont like using my phone, its just too small. So, if you hear of a way to add an a seperate android unit, please PM me.
If size is the issue why not just use an ipad or an Android tablet? an ipad mini is cheap and is slightly bigger than our own infotainment system. You could easily mount it on the dash or even find a way to attach a mount to the passenger side are of your transmission tunnel.

In general though i am curious why you are doing this? Are you monitoring for track use? If thats the case actual gauges will be much more accurate and are more recommended for track use. Are you monitoring just to monitor? I mean what do you hope to see other than the car is just working as intended? Even if you plan on going big turbo and tuning, i still would recommend gauges as they will, again, be more accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can just dashboard mount one, I don't know what other type of solution you are looking for. There is no more space on the dash itself to put one. You can't put it in front of the passenger because of the airbag, and if you put it in front of you its blocking your vision. You could mount it behind the original screen and angle it towards you, but seems like a lot of non-reversible modding for a tablet.
Yes, I am planning on a dashboard unit. I was told that there is no way to add an android unit and keep the existing infotainment unit. This true?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, I am planning on a dashboard unit. I was told that there is no way to add an android unit and keep the existing infotainment unit. This true?
not at all, just get an android tablet and a OBD2 Bluetooth module and connect the tablet to the module via bluetooth and then run the apps that can read the information that the module is sending to the tablet. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
not at all, just get an android tablet and a OBD2 Bluetooth module and connect the tablet to the module via bluetooth and then run the apps that can read the information that the module is sending to the tablet. Easy peasy.
Yes but it wont integrate with the factory system in any way. You can't "extend" the display.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes but it wont integrate with the factory system in any way. You can't "extend" the display.
Correct but i dont think thats what he is asking. He just wants to run monitoring software and play music from it instead of his phone. All of this is possible, just connect teh USB cable from the tablet to the car, and use Android Auto to play music and use maps and whatnot, while its connected via bluetooth to the OBD2 module to run a monitoring system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you guys. I’m going to mod the engine, and I want to watch for trouble with something like torque pro or dashcommander. Then once in a while play a music video. Your answers are awesome!!

One last question, should I buy torque pro or dash commander or other? Which obii adapter? I have veloster n 2021 dct.

thank you in advance.

Vegas

·
Registered
467 Posts
You will want real gauges, not an OBD reader / adapter to monitor engine conditions. Most of the readings that the OBD adapter shows are calculations. I'm not sure what exactly you want to monitor as far as engine goes, but most people install oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, transmission fluid temperature, and Air / Fuel gauges. If you cannot interpret these gauges and correlate them to any potential vehicle issue e.g. low oil pressure = oil problem, coolant too hot / cold = coolant problem, air/fuel too rich / too lean = fueling issue then they are superfluous and just for show.

A tablet displaying gauges, in my opinion, isn't going to alert you of any potential issue unless you can understand the readouts and know what the general operating range of any given value should be. Even then the CEL will likely illuminate before you figure out that the read outs mean anything. Cars are super smart these days, and don't need to be monitored the same way that older ones did. However the ability to read set, pending, or history codes is always handy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have an android phone with Android Auto, you could use AADD to mirror your phone to your android auto and then use torque pro to add gauges. Alternatively, there are android plug in units that hack the car play functionality to allow a full android tablet experience on your car. They run about ~200 USD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts