Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated the way the Add-W1 catch-can hoses ran so I purchased an elbow for the 15mm side and some extra hose. I redirected the hose around to the side and I’m MUCH happier with it now. I don’t worry about the hose folding over and pinching when it gets hot and it just looks much cleaner.

I normally like to have my gear clamps facing out for easy access but I preassembled this little nipple section coming off the manifold haha

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also added some silver bolts w/red fender washers for some added cosmetics. I’m going for a red anodized color scheme in my engine bay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just starting to mod my car question how is the catch can making a difference? Is it a must have mod for the N? Notice That you seem pretty stock Besides the catch can.
Got my snorkel on during the weekend regret the color choice but o well

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just starting to mod my car question how is the catch can making a difference? Is it a must have mod for the N? Notice That you seem pretty stock Besides the catch can.
Got my snorkel on during the weekend regret the color choice but o well View attachment 3265
Yeah everything else is stock hah. I haven't installed any performance mods yet - I plan to, but I was doing a few protective/preventative mods before I started digging into adding performance. The catch-can is working, so far I've pulled a bit of oil out of the PCV blow-by, which would have otherwise been sucked into the intake manifold. GDI engines can accumulate carbon buildup overtime as a result of gasses/oil getting recycled through the PCV valve and re-directed back into the intake manifold. Emissions standards require this, as they used to just vent to atmosphere back in the day. I plan on having this car for a while so this is one way to slow down inevitable carbon deposits which can cause performance loss and mechanical issues down the road. The catch-can doesn't make any difference performance wise, it's simply a preventative measure to help protect my engine. I would say that if you plan on keeping this car for a while it's a must have mod, at least that's what my research has told me. I put the rally armor mudflaps on just the other day as well, which I'm hoping will help keep my paint in better shape, and I also think they look rad as hell hah. I've done a few other minor interior and exterior cosmetic modifications but I'm probably going to start focusing on performance next. Probably with an aftermarket rear motor mount and then a cold air intake/velossa snorkel from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gotcha thanks for the detail I assume similar engines need catch cans like a Gti lol
I will be researching and investing in one as I plan on keeping it for a good while.
Install simple and easy?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries, I've been nerding out on this stuff so I don't mind passing the info along. Think of it as a long term performance investment, since the catch-can will allow your engine to run at its maximum potential for a longer period of time! So in a way, I suppose it is a performance mod hah. Install is very simple, particularly if you purchase a kit that's designed specifically for the Veloster N. If I may make a recommendation though, don't go with the one that I have. I probably should have done a little more shopping around in hindsight. If i was purchasing one today I'd probably go with the Mishimoto, Sxth Element or Boomba cans. In fact, I may even replace the one I currently have installed. This one is baffled, meaning that there are multiple chambers that help condense oil out of the air, but there is no filter media on the inlet side that adds more surface area for further oil condensation. I could probably add one but I'd rather have a material that was designed and engineered for the job rather than rigging it myself. The build quality seems to be decent, but their directions that came with the can had the inlet and outlet side reversed, so I swapped them around. In fact, there were two sets of instructions, one generic set stating I should install it the correct way, and then a separate one that was supposedly specific to the N telling me to install it the other way around. Perhaps this was to keep the hoses from contacting the oil dipstick or some other reason, but I resolved that potential issue with some zip ties. Also, their grammar and spelling is horrible, particularly for a US based company - that should have queued me in from the start. In summary, I can't recommend this particular can, go with something else. I also bought a check valve from them but did not install it as I noticed there were some burs inside of the body of the valve that concerned me. I didn't like the idea of sucking little pieces of aluminum into my intake manifold. Just some food for thought!

Reactions: matt_greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
where did you buy the elbow hose? I'm thinking of purchasing the same catch can and I like the way that your setup is! it looks clean and i also wouldn't want to worry about the hose folding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where did you buy the elbow hose? I'm thinking of purchasing the same catch can and I like the way that your setup is! it looks clean and i also wouldn't want to worry about the hose folding.
I bought it from the Add-W1 website. I also purchased an extra 5 foot section of 15mm hose, I can’t remember what hose length the catch can came with was. I do know that it took about 4 feet to redirect it out and around like I did though!

Reactions: EvaUnit Type-N

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
140 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I hated the way the Add-W1 catch-can hoses ran so I purchased an elbow for the 15mm side and some extra hose. I redirected the hose around to the side and I’m MUCH happier with it now. I don’t worry about the hose folding over and pinching when it gets hot and it just looks much cleaner. View attachment 3262
View attachment 3263
I normally like to have my gear clamps facing out for easy access but I preassembled this little nipple section coming off the manifold haha
Use a hose coil. They slip over the hose can be tweaked to 90 degrees and protect the hose from chafing. They keep the hose from collapsing upon itself and causing a blockage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts