Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any members here have the 2021 yet? I know they were released early in some places?

Anyway, I might be ordering a matte shooting Star Grey 2021 Veloster N this week but the forums have me a bit concerned about that purchase. Have they resolved some of the issues for the newer models?

Since Canada only has 5 year warranty I'm a bit concerned about some material quality like the stock floor mats getting holes extremely fast etc.

I'm also curious if they've fixed the leaking injector issue with updated injectors or if it's still a hit or miss whether you get lucky and order one with good injectors?

I've also been reading that the engine might be kind of a lemon? According to some threads here and this Hyundai, Kia offer lifetime warranties on cars with Theta 2GDi engine
It seems like the 2.0 might be unreliable, and might be extremely troublesome at high miles? Does anyone have any opinions on this? Again, I keep cars for 7-10 years, I don't like the idea of since of the ghost stories I'm reading so hopefully some owners can shed some light on the issues.

And finally are the quality of materials worth the cost if I plan to keep the car longer than 5 years? I'll be paying 40k CAD after tax and delivery on the 2021 and I'm thinking of cross shopping based on some of the stuff I've been reading.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a BK1 Genesis Coupe with over 131k miles and it still runs like a top. It is a 2011 model built on 10/27/2010. This has been the most trouble-free car that I have ever owned. I am not aware of any widespread problems with these cars or any other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a member that is getting/just got one - takes delivery soon so he might be able to answer some of your questions:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also should i get the DCT? I'm told it's significantly faster than the manual but I really enjoy driving manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also should i get the DCT? I'm told it's significantly faster than the manual but I really enjoy driving manual.
Imo, the only reason to get a 2021 is for the dct. They have unreasonably marked up the manual in my opinion. If you're looking for a manual I'd find a low mileage used 2020 or one still on a lot somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imo, the only reason to get a 2021 is for the dct. They have unreasonably marked up the manual in my opinion. If you're looking for a manual I'd find a low mileage used 2020 or one still on a lot somewhere.
There's no used or lot cars near me but the dealer is giving me a 2k discount to match the increase in cost because they can't find a 2020.

The seats in the 2021 are a big thing for me tbh, they look great so I don't mind. I'll be paying an extra 2000 for the DCT but I don't know if it's a good choice over the manual.

I'm worried about two things, if the DCT will be less fun to drive, i.e I won't be able to control the crackles as much and I lose the connectedness of the manual.

And I'm also worried about the power limits of the DCT, will it start to give out if I throw a JB4 and some bolt ons at it? Will it be reliable?

I'm stuck with the 2021 now whether i like it or not, the decision on that is made now I need to decide 6mt or DCT by Tuesday when I place the order.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think hyundai rated the dct for like 400 tq so it should take a jb4.
This car practically drives itself in manual even in traffic so i can personally recommend it. Its my first manual and i learned in a few days from how easy it is.
Im sure the dct is great but i dont trust it in the long run so i think the manual will be more reliable way down the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's no used or lot cars near me but the dealer is giving me a 2k discount to match the increase in cost because they can't find a 2020.

The seats in the 2021 are a big thing for me tbh, they look great so I don't mind. I'll be paying an extra 2000 for the DCT but I don't know if it's a good choice over the manual.

I'm worried about two things, if the DCT will be less fun to drive, i.e I won't be able to control the crackles as much and I lose the connectedness of the manual.

And I'm also worried about the power limits of the DCT, will it start to give out if I throw a JB4 and some bolt ons at it? Will it be reliable?

I'm stuck with the 2021 now whether i like it or not, the decision on that is made now I need to decide 6mt or DCT by Tuesday when I place the order.
I see. Well, to some degree it will probably be less fun. But yes realistically it will be faster unless you're a professional driver and launching your car at every stop. I would get the dct if if it was me. As far as the reliability of the engine, my understanding is that these engines are highly predisposed to carbon buildup. So you really need to stay on top of that. Otherwise there's nothing major.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think hyundai rated the dct for like 400 tq so it should take a jb4.
This car practically drives itself in manual even in traffic so i can personally recommend it. Its my first manual and i learned in a few days from how easy it is.
Im sure the dct is great but i dont trust it in the long run so i think the manual will be more reliable way down the road.
Yeah that's my feelings on it too, the 6mt is proven to work well, 400tq is easily reachable eventually through mods so having the DCT limit you would be a let down. If that's the case I'll probably just stick to the manual

I see. Well, to some degree it will probably be less fun. But yes realistically it will be faster unless you're a professional driver and launching your car at every stop. I would get the dct if if it was me. As far as the reliability of the engine, my understanding is that these engines are highly predisposed to carbon buildup. So you really need to stay on top of that. Otherwise there's nothing major.
I'm not a professional driver and I'll rarely be launching the car, the car will be my summer car that I slowly mod over it's life for more power/better aesthetics etc. I'd be sold on the DCT if I knew it could handle the increase in power I'd be putting it through with a tune, downpipe, intake, intercooler etc but it's hard to know right now where as we know the 6mt can handle it.

As for the engine the carbon buildup is normal direct injection stuff, dealt with it on my current summer car I'm trading in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you care about a few tenths of a second around a track or slightly better launches, get the DCT (or more realistically, get a different car - there are quicker things for the price). If you're getting the car for an engaging and fun driving experience, get the manual. I personally value fun over a marginal change in lap-times, so I put down on a manual.

A few other reasons to consider: the manual weighs less, gets better gas mileage, has the same exhaust as the 19-20s (note that the DCT exhaust IS different - it's quieter - check video comparisons of the Korean models for reference), and costs less.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not have any concern about the robustness of the Veloster N drivetrain.
Remember when the car was released the media were invited to drive the car on track, so Hyundai is promoting the car as race track capable.
Secondly, Hyundai offers one of the best and longest warranties on the Veloster N in the USA, a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
No worries.
I just don't understand why the US gets 10 years and Canada gets shafted with only 5 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would not have any concern about the robustness of the Veloster N drivetrain.
Remember when the car was released the media were invited to drive the car on track, so Hyundai is promoting the car as race track capable.
Secondly, Hyundai offers one of the best and longest warranties on the Veloster N in the USA, a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
No worries.
I just don't understand why the US gets 10 years and Canada gets shafted with only 5 years.
I have wondered the same about the Canadian warranty. Perhaps some obscure government regulation or maybe you guys drive like you play hockey! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why are you asking us if you should buy a manual or an automatic? That’s up to you. Do you want to drive a manual or an automatic? You should know that before you even look at what make and model you want. If I wanted an automatic I would of stuck with my genesis coupe 3.8 it was faster and a better interior. I wanted the Veloster N because I wanted a fun manual car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts