Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I thought I would share my thoughts on this car now that I’ve put a thousand or so miles on it.

I’ve been a motorcycle guy for 15 years. All sport bikes. Started on a 2004 Yamaha R6. Five bikes later, now I have a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10, and a 2017 R6 which I mostly ride at the track.

From the moment I began riding, cars did not interest me in the slightest. I considered having a car to be a burden. But when I had a kid ten years ago, I was forced to live the car life. I drove all manner of beater cars that were either borrowed or given to me. The most recent of such cars was a 2007 Prius.

The Prius is not a good car. It is the only heavy machine I’ve ever encountered that doesn’t have a soul.

So, in an effort to actually enjoy the time I spent in the car, I set out to find a car that would be fun to drive, that I could afford and also park in the tight spaces of the city I live in. I thought this car would be the GTI or WRX until I saw the youtube reviews of the Veloster N. So I bought one.

You guys, the N is good.

Let me say at this point that, because I never cared about cars, I don’t actually know anything about cars. I don’t know how to properly drive. My shifts aren’t smooth. I have been relearning basic things, like how to set up the driving position, how front wheel drive differs from rear wheel drive. I am a true neophyte.

However, I can say that every time I get into the car. Every. Single. Time. I am excited to be there. And I think it comes down to this: The N is the most motorcycle-like car one can drive.

Like my bikes, the N has power modes. It has a shift light. It has traction control, sure, but it doesn’t cut in on the fun. It builds revs quickly, delivers good power. I am good at blipping the throttle on downshift on my bikes. I have no clue how to “heel/toe” on cars. But it’s fine, because the N has auto-rev matching.

There is one thing the N does that my bikes can’t do: keep me legal.

My FZ-10 can do zero to sixty in something silly like 2.6 seconds. If I take each gear to redline, I’d be well past any posted speed limit by the time I shifted to second gear. So I always have to take it easy on the road, unless there are no witnesses or I’m at the track.

The N is nowhere near as fast as my bikes, but still pulls and provides all the engagement I’ve come to expect from a performance machine. And by the time I shift to third, I’m still going a speed that won’t get me in trouble with the law. It's basically like if a Ninja 400 was a car.

I take it back. The N can do many things my bike can't do. It can haul my kid and a ton of stuff. It can keep me dry when it's raining. It will play me the radio and tell me what my tire pressure is, and also change the exhaust note. How cool is that?

In short. The VN is great. It’s teaching me how to drive. I’m going to take it to the track. One day, I’ll get crazy like you cats and modify it. Though now, I understand that the best modification I can make is personal development as a driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I started with an early 2000's Mercedes, to a BMW 335i, then to a 370z. Yes.. RWD is fun for all the skids, drifts, donuts and whatever other fun or trouble you can get into... but those vehicles can't quite compare to the fun I am having when I get behind the wheel of the N. I just passed my 1000 mile mark like you and though we come from different backgrounds I couldn't agree with you more!! This is the most engaging and fun car I have every driven. Can't wait to see where these beautiful machines take us!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Love your review! And welcome to the club!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Enjoyed the review, do you mod the engine on the bikes? Coming from a 2009 civic si the N filled all my desires a simple air intake changes this car if you like turbo sound :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoyed the review, do you mod the engine on the bikes? Coming from a 2009 civic si the N filled all my desires a simple air intake changes this car if you like turbo sound :)
I made many modifications to my bikes, including a ECU flash that gained like 20hp on my FZ-10. Turbo sound, huh? What air intake did you install? That's probably easy to do, no?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started with an early 2000's Mercedes, to a BMW 335i, then to a 370z. Yes.. RWD is fun for all the skids, drifts, donuts and whatever other fun or trouble you can get into... but those vehicles can't quite compare to the fun I am having when I get behind the wheel of the N. I just passed my 1000 mile mark like you and though we come from different backgrounds I couldn't agree with you more!! This is the most engaging and fun car I have every driven. Can't wait to see where these beautiful machines take us!!!
It's so interesting, that you are coming from more powerful, more expensive cars, and yet you are having so much more fun driving. That just let's me know I made the right decision in purchasing this car!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Okay, I really need to chime in here. OP I think you are my twin. I too am a rider and I’ve been a rider from the UK since 04. The R6 was my first bike back then. Fast forward to 2017 and I sold my 2012 R1 50th Anni edition. I still have all my gear as I’m not done yet. Living in Canada now and I drive a 2018 Civic Si coupe. Yep, I like a little speed. This Monday just gone, my wife and I took her Tucson in for a service, while I was there I saw the 2021 Veloster n in the same red as my Si. I was asked if I would like to take it for a test drive and, well, it would have been rude not too. While driving the car I found myself grinning from ear to ear. My wife said, I haven’t seen a car do that to you for a very long time. I distinctively remember saying, “this car makes me want to do something naughty, it makes me feel like I could simply think of where I need to place it, and it would just go, the only other thing that can do that is the bike”
When you compared the car to the bike, it got me because it was exactly what I was doing. This car has so much personality, bike personality which is different to car personality. My Si still feels nice, but I know that it’s about to become the “x girl, as I’ve now found the next girl”. Thanks OP, keep it shiny side up man.
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I really need to chime in here. OP I think you are my twin. I too am a rider and I’ve been a rider from the UK since 04. The R6 was my first bike back then. Fast forward to 2017 and I sold my 2012 R1 50th Anni edition. I still have all my gear as I’m not done yet. Living in Canada now and I drive a 2018 Civic Si coupe. Yep, I like a little speed. This Monday just gone, my wife and I took her Tucson in for a service, while I was there I saw the 2021 Veloster n in the same red as my Si. I was asked if I would like to take it for a test drive and, well, it would have been rude not too. While driving the car I found myself grinning from ear to ear. My wife said, I haven’t seen a car do that to you for a very long time. I distinctively remember saying, “this car makes me want to do something naughty, it makes me feel like I could simply think of where I need to place it, and it would just go, the only other thing that can do that is the bike”
When you compared the car to the bike, it got me because it was exactly what I was doing. This car has so much personality, bike personality which is different to car personality. My Si still feels nice, but I know that it’s about to become the “x girl, as I’ve now found the next girl”. Thanks OP, keep it shiny side up man.
Mike
Oh man. The 20th anniversary R1, with the Red and White livery and the production number on the tank? I had an 05, 09 and 07 R1 before switching over to the FZ-10. I always thought that anniversary edition looked amazing.

I figured that I couldn't be the only rider who felt this way about the Veloster. It's wild, right? I spent so much of my life thinking that cars sucked because they weren't bikes, and then this thing comes along and changes everything.

I'm glad you are enjoying the car as much as I am. And if you still feel the need to ride, I can attest that the latest model R6s are amazing, especially at the track...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh man. The 20th anniversary R1, with the Red and White livery and the production number on the tank? I had an 05, 09 and 07 R1 before switching over to the FZ-10. I always thought that anniversary edition looked amazing.

I figured that I couldn't be the only rider who felt this way about the Veloster. It's wild, right? I spent so much of my life thinking that cars sucked because they weren't bikes, and then this thing comes along and changes everything.

I'm glad you are enjoying the car as much as I am. And if you still feel the need to ride, I can attest that the latest model R6s are amazing, especially at the track...
The very same. Mine was #0095 if memory serves me correctly, I’m getting old and I haven’t seen her since 2017. “I may be buying her back shortly”.
Yep, I got her brand new and she came with a signed letter from Yamaha, hard board mounted poster of Ben Spies test riding the bike, a leather wallet, leather backpack, metal money clip and a cap along with a thermos cup. I really regret selling her and the guy I sold her too doesn’t ride her as he boats in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter as well as works full time. So she’s sitting in his garage where I left here. Sellers remorse sucks big time lol. So I don’t have a Veloster n yet, I only test drove one earlier on in the week and your description was spot on. I hear that Yamaha will be stopping the production of the R6 going forward which is a shame. Lovely little rocket, my 2001 was the one that lit the fire for me back in 04.
Enjoy your rides man, both the bike and the Veloster n will give you what you need.
Mike

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Hey everyone.

I thought I would share my thoughts on this car now that I’ve put a thousand or so miles on it.

I’ve been a motorcycle guy for 15 years. All sport bikes. Started on a 2004 Yamaha R6. Five bikes later, now I have a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10, and a 2017 R6 which I mostly ride at the track.

View attachment 3438

From the moment I began riding, cars did not interest me in the slightest. I considered having a car to be a burden. But when I had a kid ten years ago, I was forced to live the car life. I drove all manner of beater cars that were either borrowed or given to me. The most recent of such cars was a 2007 Prius.

The Prius is not a good car. It is the only heavy machine I’ve ever encountered that doesn’t have a soul.

So, in an effort to actually enjoy the time I spent in the car, I set out to find a car that would be fun to drive, that I could afford and also park in the tight spaces of the city I live in. I thought this car would be the GTI or WRX until I saw the youtube reviews of the Veloster N. So I bought one.

View attachment 3439

You guys, the N is good.

Let me say at this point that, because I never cared about cars, I don’t actually know anything about cars. I don’t know how to properly drive. My shifts aren’t smooth. I have been relearning basic things, like how to set up the driving position, how front wheel drive differs from rear wheel drive. I am a true neophyte.

However, I can say that every time I get into the car. Every. Single. Time. I am excited to be there. And I think it comes down to this: The N is the most motorcycle-like car one can drive.

Like my bikes, the N has power modes. It has a shift light. It has traction control, sure, but it doesn’t cut in on the fun. It builds revs quickly, delivers good power. I am good at blipping the throttle on downshift on my bikes. I have no clue how to “heel/toe” on cars. But it’s fine, because the N has auto-rev matching.

There is one thing the N does that my bikes can’t do: keep me legal.

My FZ-10 can do zero to sixty in something silly like 2.6 seconds. If I take each gear to redline, I’d be well past any posted speed limit by the time I shifted to second gear. So I always have to take it easy on the road, unless there are no witnesses or I’m at the track.

View attachment 3440

The N is nowhere near as fast as my bikes, but still pulls and provides all the engagement I’ve come to expect from a performance machine. And by the time I shift to third, I’m still going a speed that won’t get me in trouble with the law. It's basically like if a Ninja 400 was a car.

I take it back. The N can do many things my bike can't do. It can haul my kid and a ton of stuff. It can keep me dry when it's raining. It will play me the radio and tell me what my tire pressure is, and also change the exhaust note. How cool is that?

In short. The VN is great. It’s teaching me how to drive. I’m going to take it to the track. One day, I’ll get crazy like you cats and modify it. Though now, I understand that the best modification I can make is personal development as a driver.
Nice write up, welcome.
Out of all the sporty hatchbacks out there the N is definitely the most fun and entertaining.
I've tested them all....Type-R, GTI, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Golf R, Focus RS and the one that put the biggest smile on my face was the N.
Fir the record the Fiesta ST came in second.
After owning an Ariel Atom for 7 years, I found nothing could give me the same visceral feel.
The Atom is really more like a 4 wheel sportbike than car.
With the Atom like a bike more of your senses are stimulated because it has no roof, doors etc.
The Veloster N to me is just more viscerally stimulating than the other hot hatches.
Enjoy.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts