Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out if anyone has used either of these for longer periods of time, I've looked into both and know all the differences
as far as benefits, protections, power, installation etc. I like different things about each one for different reasons. Im not looking for
a featurs list im just looking for your real world opinion and information regarding reliability over time so I can make a choice.

Please answer any of the questions you have answers for:

Which one do you have?
What map and fuel do you run?
How long have you been using it? (Number of months/years/miles?
Have you had any issues or damaged/worn parts?
How many Miles on the car when you installed?

Any information would be appreciated

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jb4. Map 7. 91 with octane booster and WMI running a 33% mixture. Over 7k miles at least. Not a one, and actually jb4 monitors more parameters than stock-it’ll kick back into map 0. I’ve never heard of problems with jb4 ever tbh. I have heard of 2 instances of Rev6 weirdness. One on here and one from my friend.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
-JB4
-map 1&2, 93 octane top tier fuels with octane booster during summer. Map 0 and non ethanol 91 octane when getting the car ready for winter storage.
  • about a year ~6500 miles
  • only issue I've had is during a firmware update that didn't load properly car wouldn't start, disconnected and reconnected JB4 and reapplied update and everything worked fine. No mechanical damage as of yet.
-around 2500 miles at first install (had afe scorcher on prior to JB4)

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
Jb4. Map 7. 91 with octane booster and WMI running a 33% mixture. Over 7k miles at least. Not a one, and actually jb4 monitors more parameters than stock-it’ll kick back into map 0. I’ve never heard of problems with jb4 ever tbh. I have heard of 2 instances of Rev6 weirdness. One on here and one from my friend.
How do you like the WMI set up? Are you running a bigger intercooler too or did you go WMI to get away from changing the intercooler?

·
Registered
72 Posts
How do you like the WMI set up? Are you running a bigger intercooler too or did you go WMI to get away from changing the intercooler?
I love WMI and so does the car. I actually installed my WMI and intercooler at the same time. I would imagine for road duty you could get away with the stock but for track probably still not-at least not in a hot state.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
I love WMI and so does the car. I actually installed my WMI and intercooler at the same time. I would imagine for road duty you could get away with the stock but for track probably still not-at least not in a hot state.
Thanks for the feedback, I've already got a full forge intercooler set up on including boost pipe. I don't track the car and I live in the northeast so heat isn't too much of an issue most of the time. How much boost does the car push on that set up? I've contemplated going down the WMI road but thinking I'll probably wait until I'm fully out of warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Which one do you have? JB4

What map and fuel do you run? I had it previously on a Stinger where I would run high maps pushing a decent amount of HP. I brought it to my VN and I daily map 1. I run 93 octane fuel always.

How long have you been using it? (Number of months/years/miles? I had the JB4 on my stinger for 1.5 years and about 25,000 miles. I have had it on my VN for about 7000 miles for 5 months.

Have you had any issues or damaged/worn parts? I have not had any issue EVER with the JB4 for over 2 years combined used between 2 vehicles.

How many Miles on the car when you installed? Answered above.

The JB4 is great and super easy to remove for dealer visits(takes less than 5 minutes to uninstall. A little longer to install because of routing the OBD2 port).

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which one do you have? JB4

What map and fuel do you run? I had it previously on a Stinger where I would run high maps pushing a decent amount of HP. I brought it to my VN and I daily map 1. I run 93 octane fuel always.

How long have you been using it? (Number of months/years/miles? I had the JB4 on my stinger for 1.5 years and about 25,000 miles. I have had it on my VN for about 7000 miles for 5 months.

Have you had any issues or damaged/worn parts? I have not had any issue EVER with the JB4 for over 2 years combined used between 2 vehicles.

How many Miles on the car when you installed? Answered above.

The JB4 is great and super easy to remove for dealer visits(takes less than 5 minutes to uninstall. A little longer to install because of routing the OBD2 port).
I assume you changed your spark plugs?Is the car jerky at all if you have to run the factory map 0 with the colder plugs? Howw does it start in the winter with the colder plugs?

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
I assume you changed your spark plugs?Is the car jerky at all if you have to run the factory map 0 with the colder plugs? Howw does it start in the winter with the colder plugs?

Cheers
Yep, changed the plugs. Takes 10 minutes on Veloster N, takes 1.5 hours on my Stinger haha. I have actually noticed a bit of jerkiness running with JB4 off before taking car into dealer so I'm not sure if that was just something random or if it is with no tune and the plug but it was only noticeable at very low RPM's in first gear. I haven't had the car long enough to know how the cold affects it.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, changed the plugs. Takes 10 minutes on Veloster N, takes 1.5 hours on my Stinger haha. I have actually noticed a bit of jerkiness running with JB4 off before taking car into dealer so I'm not sure if that was just something random or if it is with no tune and the plug but it was only noticeable at very low RPM's in first gear. I haven't had the car long enough to know how the cold affects it.
perfect thank you

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So with the jb4 I could have problems w/ my warranty if I bring the car in for an issue?
If they want to find out they can even if you take it out. If they investigate a warranty claim fully they have the tools to tell if your car was running over normal boost and other settings. Depending on what the problem is with your car they may not look, but if you blow an engine and they do a full investigation they can tell.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If they want to find out they can even if you take it out. If they investigate a warranty claim fully they have the tools to tell if your car was running over normal boost and other settings. Depending on what the problem is with your car they may not look, but if you blow an engine and they do a full investigation they can tell.
Inside the car my boost never goes above 10psi. I don’t know what you’re talking about. How do they check it exactly?

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
In many cases the dealer may not even look for traces of a boost controller so if you remove it you should be ok. However if you were to blow an engine and Corporate gets invloved and they do a proper forensic investigation they have the diagnostic tools required to pull the data from the ECU. The ECU logs A/F Ratios, Boost Values, Timing corrections, air temperatures, oil/coolant temps, knock, error codes etc etc which they can access. Even Terry @ BMS says "if you can't afford to fix it, don't risk modifying it". I am still looking at getting one for my VN but you should know that there are risks invloved when it comes to warranty depending on the problem with the car.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You’ll better off with the REV6 IMO……👍🇺🇸
I like both for slightlly different reasons and am torn between the JB4 and Rev6. Im leaning more towards the Rev6 mysellf but there seems to be more people and information availablle on the JB4. Do you have a Rev6?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
No but I’ve done some considerable research on the REV6 & JB4 The REV6 is dynamometer tunable where the JB4 is not. This unit is made for the VN, where as the JB4 is not but a multi-model generic unit. Otherwise, one size fits all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts