Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

6th gear hard to engage

17K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Perfomance blue vn 
#1 ·
Hello.

I've noticed a couple of time, coming out of tight long right hander in 4th or 5th gear (like an on-ramp access) at high speed, when I come to engage 6th gear it does not want to fully engage. I have to either go back to 4th gear, or shift down to

We have seen the same issue on Type-R where the shift lever was popping out of the gear...

Am I the only one here with that issue??

tks

#10 ·
The shifter has a really 'slotted' feel to me. I think you might possibly not be getting it far enough over. This is my first 6 speed, and I'm not used to pulling over and down in the far H. While being deliberate I've never had a problem Of course I haven't shifted under power climbing into 6th. That would be a speed I won't get close to.

#12 ·
I've got the 5th-6th gear problem with mine. At both oil changes at the dealership, I notified them about the difficulty to shift into 5th or 6th. They blew it off, as no big deal... they like I was shifting wrong, and tried to show me how to properly shift my car. (I've been driving stick shift cars and trucks for over 25 years).

The symptoms are: difficult to shift into 5th or 6th. And 6th gear it doesn't seem to matter if I shift from 4th or 5th. Nor does it matter if I try to shift slowly "nice and easy" or quickly. Double pumping the clutch does work.

#15 ·
I recently started using my N as a full on daily driver so before i was never really in 6th gear much, but now that im on the highway i notice 6th gear sometimes completely does not want to go in. I have to put it back into neutral and try again and then it works. Very strange, noticed it in other gears as well but never as often as 6th.

#19 ·
I have had the same problem, although I would call it more of an annoyance than a problem... No clunking or fighting, just wont go.

I have a 5 speed manual as well with the reverse slot on the right below 5th gear. If you try to row the gears at a stop on the car with the clutch down you can go 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th but not to reverse, you have to go into neutral than reverse. This is obviously not the cause of the trouble in the VN but it has the same physical feeling to the operator.

I only ever have this problem on the first 6th gear shift of the day though.

#23 ·
If it happens when accelerating and pulling lateral g's but not other times, I'd get under the car and check the trans and motor mounts. Sounds like something is loose allowing too much movement of the trans and the shifter linkages are getting out of whack.

#24 · (Edited)
Yep you need 5mm between the head of the adjuster and the end of the cable. It's a two fold process. The gear shifter needs to be locked into fourth gear first, with either the appropriate size drill bit or special Hyundai Tool. Don't attempt to adjust the cables until it is.

This necessitates the removal of the shift boot to access the shifter base and the location for the tool or drill bit. Put the shifter in fourth, secure the gear lever with the tool or bit and a tie wrap, then go to the cables in the engine compartment. Don't touch the cables until the shifter is locked into fourth gear. Pull back the adjuster until it frees the head and adjust as required by spinning the head.

Reinstall the cables and then remove the bit or tool from the shifter. Check for proper gear engagement. If you didn't get it right you'll know right away as it will be quite notchy when attempting to shift.

This is straight from the Hyundai Shop Manual and the proper way to adjust the cables.

#25 ·
Yep you need 5mm between the head of the adjuster and the end of the cable. It's a two fold process. The gear shifter needs to be locked into fourth gear first, with either the appropriate size drill bit or special Hyundai Tool. Don't attempt to adjust the cables until it is.

This necessitates the removal of the shift boot to access the shifter base and the location for the tool or drill bit. Put the shifter in fourth, secure the gear lever with the tool or bit and a tie wrap, then go to the cables in the engine compartment. Don't touch the cables until the shifter is locked into fourth gear. Pull back the adjuster until it frees the head and adjust as required by spinning the head.

Reinstall the cables and then remove the bit or tool from the shifter. Check for proper gear engagement. If you didn't get it right you'll know right away as it will be quite notchy when attempting to shift.

This is straight from the Hyundai Shop Manual and the proper way to adjust the cables.
Seeing as how these cars are still brand new and under warranty, this should be something the "certified" techs at the stealership should do vs we shade tree mechanics, don't you think?

#30 ·
Here's a little story. A little over a year ago I put on a Uniq collar kit on for my suspension. I needed an alignment after that so I brought it to the dealer. Well, I was sitting in McDonald's eating lunch, which is right near the dealer and I see the service writer hot dogging it up and down the street with my car. When I went to go get the car he says "boy that clutch is stiff".... lol... Needless to say my car is NEVER going back there... That was my lesson learned to do most things myself. Honestly, I have probably done more things to cars than 90 percent of the mechanics that work for Hyundai anyway. I just trust myself more... :)

Best regards,

-Mike

#31 ·
Glad to know I am not the only one with this sixth gear issue. Cold engine is more likely to not engage as smoothly, yet when its warm Its much less frequent. I tried to take it to the dealer for this issue in Tampa, yet they totally blew it off. Only a hand full of times did it try not to engage sixth, but not enough for anyone to notice if they don't drive it all the time like me.

I bit upsetting because, well no **** it shifts into sixth 95% of the time, but it just does not feel right 50% of the time (not as smooth as all other five gears). If I were a mechanic, I could see how its minor (because it technically still works). Yet, even if your car is under warranty, something has to actually be broken and not just a little off sometimes (transmission or not lmao). They knew what was up... they just didn't wanna fix it until its broken.

#32 ·
Hello.

I've noticed a couple of time, coming out of tight long right hander in 4th or 5th gear (like an on-ramp access) at high speed, when I come to engage 6th gear it does not want to fully engage. I have to either go back to 4th gear, or shift down to

We have seen the same issue on Type-R where the shift lever was popping out of the gear...

Am I the only one here with that issue??

tks
Same issue here. HVN only 6 weeks old but I've slipped back to 4th a number of times....I have had to basically flip my hand to force it to 6th....seems to be okay for now but have had this issue a number of times before I fixed it....first stick shift in 15 years never had 6 gears so weird to me.....

#36 ·
I have an occasional issue too but I cured it. Everyday before I pull out of the garage I go through the gates about two times. First to second to third to forth to fifth and then to sixth with the clutch pushed in. I do this every day and then have a two mile ride till I get to the highway. If I do this I never have a problem engaging sixth. Worth a shot....

Best regards,

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.