Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read that a lot of people use 5w-30 in their cars here., but I haven't seen any info about how cold of a climate is too cold for considering this. The manual has a nice little diagram showing oil weights and the temperature range they are good for but it doesn't have 5w-30 on it. Does anyone know what the lower end of the temperature range is for 5w-30? I live in a climate there most winters I will have to drive at least one or two days with temps close to -20F, but other than that it stays around 5F in the winter. I also can't find anything other than amsoil 0w-30 in my area and wouldn't mind have the variety that comes with 5w-30 if it's safe in those temps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
5W-30 will operate in as low as -30 celsius or -22 degrees Fahrenheit. Which is sufficient for most climates barring a few. If needed, 0W-30 can be run during winter months.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
How about a 0W40?

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
This is what I run in my Gen Coupe and I have for years. It is hard to put my finger on it but the engine does run better with this grade of oil.
I was thinking the 0W40 or the 5W40. Amsoil of course.... Can't decide? Thanks for the info AYP.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2019 NPP
44 Posts
... The manual has a nice little diagram showing oil weights and the temperature range they are good for but it doesn't have 5w-30 on it. ...
What year is your car? I have a 2019 and my manual does have 5w-30 listed in it. It's listed in an abbreviated fashion, however. The bottom row in the table that shows temperatures and oil grades has it listed as "0/5W-30, 5W-40", which I interpret as 0W-30, 5W-30, or 5W-40.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year is your car? I have a 2019 and my manual does have 5w-30 listed in it. It's listed in an abbreviated fashion, however. The bottom row in the table that shows temperatures and oil grades has it listed as "0/5W-30, 5W-40", which I interpret as 0W-30, 5W-30, or 5W-40.
I have a 2021 and the manual only lists 0w-30, 10w-30, 15w-40 and 20-w50 in the little chart about temperatures

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is what I run in my Gen Coupe and I have for years. It is hard to put my finger on it but the engine does run better with this grade of oil.
yessirs, im nearing 2,000 miles on my 10w-40 Redline and the engine still feels great.
when i was using oils simmilar to what you would find at costco, supertech, amazonbasics, ($12.50 for 5 quarts type of thing), it would feel like great lubrication, no vibration for a few hundred miles, but after some hot pulls, high temps, it would lose that "feeling" for the rest of its oil life..
this 10w-40 at 2,000 miles still feels great. maybe its just that viscosity alone thats giving that lube feel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts