Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, this is my first manual car and I'm approaching 4k miles.

When shifting into 5th, I feel a resistance like cables are in the way or not allowing to smoothly shift fully into gear. I dont feel that with any other gear, and I'm not sure what it looks like underneath to properly describe it. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening until 2k miles or so. I want install a short shift kit but not if its already abnormal.

I'll appreciate any feedback, thanks everybody!

·
Registered
184 Posts

When shifting into 5th, I feel a resistance like cables are in the way or not allowing to smoothly shift fully into gear. I dont feel that with any other gear, and I'm not sure what it looks like underneath to properly describe it. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening until 2k miles or so. I want install a short shift kit but not if its already abnormal.

I would try to check the adjustment on the cables, I haven't seen anyone report issues with 5th but I have seen (and experienced) issues with 6th. I was able to get the 6th issue to go away by installing the boomba shifter and base mounts and then swapping the transmissions fluid to redline mt70. The biggest difference was the swapping of the transmission fluid, I think the stock fluid just sucks and makes shifting feel kind of clunky.

Edit: a word.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen all the threads on 6th gear. If I remove the boot will checking the adjustment cables be pretty obvious? I'll have to look up how to change transmission fluid, I didn't realize that could have an impact. I really appreciate you sharing your experience!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've seen all the threads on 6th gear. If I remove the boot will checking the adjustment cables be pretty obvious? I'll have to look up how to change transmission fluid, I didn't realize that could have an impact. I really appreciate you sharing your experience!
You'll have to check the adjustment where the cables attached to the shifting mechanism at the transmission. You'll have to pull the airbox and intake at minimum to get to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

When I got my car I expected shifting problems with the 6th gear as reported by others, but for me 6th gear was smooth as silk.

For me, 5th gear was very notchy and not smooth like the other gears. Like others have said, I suspected a linkage problem.

But then I decided to change "how" I was shifting into 5th.
Like other manuals I have owned, I would push the gear shifter "all the way to the right" to get into 5th gear. That's is when I always experienced resistance engaging the gear. So I experimented with different styles.

The 5th gear shifting pattern that works the best for me is to move to gear shifter "only slightly to the right" of the center position. Now all gear shifts are smooth.

Try experimenting.... maybe it will work for you also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I got my car I expected shifting problems with the 6th gear as reported by others, but for me 6th gear was smooth as silk.

For me, 5th gear was very notchy and not smooth like the other gears. Like others have said, I suspected a linkage problem.

But then I decided to change "how" I was shifting into 5th.
Like other manuals I have owned, I would push the gear shifter "all the way to the right" to get into 5th gear. That's is when I always experienced resistance engaging the gear. So I experimented with different styles.

The 5th gear shifting pattern that works the best for me is to move to gear shifter "only slightly to the right" of the center position. Now all gear shifts are smooth.

Try experimenting.... maybe it will work for you also.
I love your approach, im gonna do exactly that. This is my first manual so I certainly am more aggressive shifting far to the right to avoid going back into third. This is like physical therapy before surgery and I much prefer it lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts