Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the quest to turn my N into an absolute track monster that I can still drive on the street, and I'm 90% sure on where I want to go with it, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on parts/tuning.

Here's what I have on the car currently:
  • aFe Twisted Steel Downpipe
  • aFe Momentum Cold Air Intake
  • Eibach PROKit Lowering Springs
Here's what I'm looking at adding (not in this exact order):
  • SXTH Element Intercooler
  • SXTH Element Catch Can
  • Whiteline 24mm Rear Sway Bar
  • X-Force Catback Exhaust
  • GFB Blow-Off Valve
  • Stage 1 Clutch and Flywheel Kit
  • Pure Turbo Upgrade
  • SXTH Element Tune
I'm hoping that this, with the appropriate tuning, will put the car in the 400HP range, and something similar in torque.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’d say after all that do some weight reduction. You can easily shave off quite a bit of weight by changing out the stock battery (40lbs) to a lightweight li-ion battery. Aftermarket wheels can save you another 10lbs each corner easily, and then you can also put on a vented carbon fiber hood, to save another 20lbs or so (and lower IATs). You can fit 8.5 wide wheels for a little more contact patch, and the stock p zeros that come on the car will fit. That alone is about 100lbs of weight savings without compromising comfort whatsoever. If you wanted to you could even install racing bucket seats to drop your weight even further! Hell, if you don’t mind and don’t need it, rip that backseat out too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
And that’s where weight reduction comes in to squeeze more performance out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No one is even close to 400hp that I can think of on stock internals. The pure turbo upgrade with their tune and FBO is getting people to about 360whp. Your going to have to get a larger turbo and then go into the engine and beef up internal parts as well. I would agree that the pure turbo upgrade, FBO, and tune, plus all the lightweight/carbon fiber parts you could find would make this car an absolute animal. Your still talking an almost 20k aftermarket build though.

my build I am planning right now is about 10k(Give or take a few thousand) and that’s just with stock turbo with the JB4.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well LAP3 got their Veloster N to 417HP but they had to upgrade the turbo to a Garrett 2867R.
so i think a turbo upgrade is a must! Also you might want to check out the bisimoto ecu flash tune.
that tune looks promising. oh, Lap3 is also using a stage 2 ceramic Xclutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one is even close to 400hp that I can think of on stock internals. The pure turbo upgrade with their tune and FBO is getting people to about 360whp. Your going to have to get a larger turbo and then go into the engine and beef up internal parts as well. I would agree that the pure turbo upgrade, FBO, and tune, plus all the lightweight/carbon fiber parts you could find would make this car an absolute animal. Your still talking an almost 20k aftermarket build though.

my build I am planning right now is about 10k(Give or take a few thousand) and that’s just with stock turbo with the JB4.
The Lap3 guys apparently have a VN up to 405HP (mind you, they have a meth injection system on it), but from what I can tell, the engine internals are still stock. I don't particularly mind if I can't get it all the way to 400HP, but it'd definitely be pretty sweet.
The parts list I have in the original post adds up to just shy of $7k, but adding the carbon hood, the seats, and wheels, I'll probably be just over $10k overall. I think the meth injection and fuel system upgrade is going to be the last step before I get to tearing the engine down and doing something with the internal components.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh interesting I have not seen that build yet. I wonder how much psi they are pushing and if they are dailying it. Didn’t think stock internals could take 400+, but it remains to be seen how long that motor lasts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I would say the quest for 400whp as kind of pointless. I don’t see our little cars handling it well when your talking about doing autocross or track days. For me ( as this is the route I’m looking at) I am more concerned about weight and making whp carry till redline to make the power band more useable. These cars make around 230whp stock so aiming for mid 300s with a flatter tq and hp curve would be more beneficial.. tuning is going to be the more important factor.. also in the past week I have found a huge weak spot that isn’t supposed by the aftermarket yet .. the intake manifold!!! I spoke with a friend who owns a shop about building me one as well as I different turbo manifold as the stock log style one is also very inadequate..

As mentioned already start ur focus now on weight reduction especially in the front end . Gen racer has some awesome brake upgrades that will be worth their weight in gold if you plan on tracking .. pulling 20lbs out of the front brakes will feel like 50 hp and couple that with some light wheels for another 20lbs of rotational mass and it will feel like a different car ..

With this only being year 2 of production many of us have no clue the diff will hold or how strong the Internals are..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I would say the quest for 400whp as kind of pointless. I don’t see our little cars handling it well when your talking about doing autocross or track days. For me ( as this is the route I’m looking at) I am more concerned about weight and making whp carry till redline to make the power band more useable. These cars make around 230whp stock so aiming for mid 300s with a flatter tq and hp curve would be more beneficial.. tuning is going to be the more important factor.. also in the past week I have found a huge weak spot that isn’t supposed by the aftermarket yet .. the intake manifold!!! I spoke with a friend who owns a shop about building me one as well as I different turbo manifold as the stock log style one is also very inadequate..

As mentioned already start ur focus now on weight reduction especially in the front end . Gen racer has some awesome brake upgrades that will be worth their weight in gold if you plan on tracking .. pulling 20lbs out of the front brakes will feel like 50 hp and couple that with some light wheels for another 20lbs of rotational mass and it will feel like a different car ..

With this only being year 2 of production many of us have no clue the diff will hold or how strong the Internals are..
Yeah, I think my next set of upgrades are going to be the intercooler and catch can (more for lowering temps and preserving the engine), followed soon after by the rear sway bar, motor mounts, and the XForce exhaust.
Once I've done those, I'm going to switch gears and start focusing on weight reduction, those GiroDisc brakes look pretty promising, as well as putting some lighter 18-inch wheels on, I'll get some slightly taller and wider tires on purely for the track days. Then I think the next logical step is the carbon fiber hood and seats. Once all that's done, and I've got a feel for how it is on the track, then I'll get back to putting more power down with the turbo upgrade and tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bisimoto is supposedly building internals, I don't know whats the status on that though as he is a busy guy a lot of cars in his shop. They do have flash tune that's perfect for track (high torque at low RPM tune). Im just waiting until someone makes internals, all the other external components are easy to get and put together as long as you have the greens. You should contact Lap3, their N is over 400HP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I think my next set of upgrades are going to be the intercooler and catch can (more for lowering temps and preserving the engine), followed soon after by the rear sway bar, motor mounts, and the XForce exhaust.
Once I've done those, I'm going to switch gears and start focusing on weight reduction, those GiroDisc brakes look pretty promising, as well as putting some lighter 18-inch wheels on, I'll get some slightly taller and wider tires on purely for the track days. Then I think the next logical step is the carbon fiber hood and seats. Once all that's done, and I've got a feel for how it is on the track, then I'll get back to putting more power down with the turbo upgrade and tune.
Also, just an FYI and with cooler temps in mind, SoCalGarageWorks just posted an oil cooler kit specifically for the N on their website. Not sure if it’s thermostatic or not, but might be nice to have when you’re tracking as I’ve heard reports of high oil temps (and seen them myself) when driving hard. Can’t wait to see what the aftermarket is going to look like for this car in a few years!

·
Registered
21 Posts
carbon hood will work seats are t going to really pull as much as you think. I guess my questions for you are have you tracked or built a car to track?? I ask this as I think money could be better spent hitting a goal as far as making it more track focused but still daily friendly...

Being fwd these cars will tend to push into corners or even at mid corner apex which will pull you off your line .. I would say forget seats for now and look at fenders. Anything you can do to pull weight from the front end will be more beneficial. Hood, fenders, battery, wheels, brakes. You can also look at the apr front defuser to help push the nose into the ground. That will help with not only turn in high speed cornering.

this is just my.02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
carbon hood will work seats are t going to really pull as much as you think. I guess my questions for you are have you tracked or built a car to track?? I ask this as I think money could be better spent hitting a goal as far as making it more track focused but still daily friendly...

Being fwd these cars will tend to push into corners or even at mid corner apex which will pull you off your line .. I would say forget seats for now and look at fenders. Anything you can do to pull weight from the front end will be more beneficial. Hood, fenders, battery, wheels, brakes. You can also look at the apr front defuser to help push the nose into the ground. That will help with not only turn in high speed cornering.

this is just my.02
Your .02 is much appreciated!
The primary reason for replacing the seats isn't so much weight savings, it's so I can actually fit in the damn car with a helmet on. Being 6'2" and all torso means that no matter how low the stock seats are, my head is always a few millimetres off the roof.
I'm looking to have a car that I can still drive to the office Monday-Friday but can go out and have a blast out on the track on the weekend. Having never built a car for the track or been a part of any serious races on the track, I am a man with no information just making the best guesses I can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your .02 is much appreciated!
The primary reason for replacing the seats isn't so much weight savings, it's so I can actually fit in the damn car with a helmet on. Being 6'2" and all torso means that no matter how low the stock seats are, my head is always a few millimetres off the roof.
I'm looking to have a car that I can still drive to the office Monday-Friday but can go out and have a blast out on the track on the weekend. Having never built a car for the track or been a part of any serious races on the track, I am a man with no information just making the best guesses I can.
Gotcha yea the struggle can be real.. if you looking for a fixed position bucket seat then I would say find a nrg carbon bucket . They are between 550 and 700 bucks which isn’t bad for a full carbon seat and they tip the scales at 25lbs ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts