Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2019 veloster n last week. A few days ago, I did a pull in 2nd gear and caused a check engine light to go on. I had to pull over to the side to see what happened. The engine and the exhaust was making struggling sounds while idle. I restarted the car and it went back to normal. The engine light was gone. After that happened, the car still runs okay but i feel like it doesn't pull as hard anymore and i'm getting less fuel economy. On the highway, I'm getting 3k rpms @ 70 mph. It used to be around 2-2.3k at that speed. I also feel a fair amount of heat coming out of the engine from my legs while going at that speed. I know it's hard to say what's wrong with my car without diagnosing or looking at it. I'm hoping to visit the dealer this week \ to see what's going on. If anyone had any experience with this issue, please feel free to share. Thanks!

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
478 Posts
You could read codes from the ECU, but you can also take it to the dealer and have them take a look. 3k rpm at 70 mph does sound high in 6th. If it were the clutch you should smell asbestos. That is the only thing between the engine and the wheels that could slip. I was rehearsing with a string quartet last night and on the way home I was first at a stop light. So I did a pull then hit a highway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you're saying you're now at 3k RPMs in 6th gear at 70mph you definitely have an issue. If I recall correctly, the car sits around 2900 RPMs at 80mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i'm hitting 3k rpms at around 70 mph while cruising on the highway. Normally it wasn't like that.

There's not much of a story. I got to second gear after coming off from a red and i pulled to 5k rpm. Right before I can shift to third, check engine light came on. I went back to normal speed and pulled over to the side. The engine and exhaust was acting up so I restarted the car and everything went back to "normal" except the issues I mentioned earlier. Fuel economy and high rpms on highway speeds

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
571 Posts
My car is also a 2019 and runs extremely hot. Trying to get the dealer to service it now. It isn’t uncommon for the 2019 models to have a few problems and you don’t know how the first guy drove it.

Use the warranty and use your dealership.

Overall these are great cars and the majority doesn’t have any problems - w that being said - always a few and bad accidental apples.

Keep us posted brother.

-JE

·
Registered
413 Posts
My car is also a 2019 and runs extremely hot. Trying to get the dealer to service it now. It isn’t uncommon for the 2019 models to have a few problems and you don’t know how the first guy drove it.

Use the warranty and use your dealership.

Overall these are great cars and the majority doesn’t have any problems - w that being said - always a few and bad accidental apples.

Keep us posted brother.

-JE
For sure a visit to the dealership
Yes i'm hitting 3k rpms at around 70 mph while cruising on the highway. Normally it wasn't like that.

There's not much of a story. I got to second gear after coming off from a red and i pulled to 5k rpm. Right before I can shift to third, check engine light came on. I went back to normal speed and pulled over to the side. The engine and exhaust was acting up so I restarted the car and everything went back to "normal" except the issues I mentioned earlier. Fuel economy and high rpms on highway speeds
Get to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only possible way your engine speed could change in relation to vehicle speed in a specific gear, is if the clutch is slipping. That said, you would notice the smoke and smell almost immediately. The life of a clutch that's slipping at highway speeds is measured in minutes.
That's a good point which actually inspired me to try and learn more about how the clutch actually works (all parts). Found this pretty cool narrated animation if anyone's interested.Clutch animation

·
Registered
84 Posts
The car needs to go to the dealer ASAP. There is another possibility why the car is revving so high besides the clutch slipping. Don't forget we actually have two final drive ratios, one for 1st, 2nd and reverse and another ratio for the other gears. If something screwed up in the transmission you could be running on the 1st and 2nd final drive for all gears. Something else to consider, no scratch that, something for the dealer to look into!

·
Registered
417 Posts
If something screwed up in the transmission you could be running on the 1st and 2nd final drive for all gears. Something else to consider, no scratch that, something for the dealer to look into!
The transmission would grenade before this happened, they are geared separately and it would cause some serious internal damage. This damage would likely render the vehicle unable to drive.

We are missing information, impossible to diag over the internet. Go to a dealer.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Most of this depends more upon the eLSD clutch lock up. If it's not completely locked in straight line it can cause a higher rpm at a given speed. It's not the clutch.

Take it to the dealership and have them go over the engine and drivetrain. Once they have it hooked up with the GDS, they can read the trouble code/s it threw in the process of the CEL. They'll read the EDR and the ECU. You'll know much more then.:)(y)

I'm going to ask you a touchy question, as this sounds vaguely familiar; are you sure you didn't gate 1st gear in the process of shifting to 3rd?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's so much misinformation on this post it is unbelievable lol

No there aren't "two final drive ratios" there's only one final drive ratio and it is determined by the ring gear on the differential. Yes 1st, 2nd, and reverse are part of the input shaft whilst 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th are pressed onto the input shaft. But there's no way you can be in multiple gears at the same time without the trans coming apart.

The lSD is not going to make the revs higher either as there's still a physical connection to one tire at all times, it either sends power to the opposite wheel or it doesn't. You'd have to have broken spider gears to the main drive wheel or something for this to happen, which is a possibility but highly improbable without grenading the entire diff.

·
Registered
417 Posts

there are absolutely two final drive ratios. there are two main shafts inside the transmission which house different gearsets. Engineering Explained did a great visual on this which can be found here:

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's no transmission manufactured like that (prove me wrong) lol Idk where this guy got that info but it's not right...

·
Registered
13 Posts

Now you got me wondering though because there's 2 bearing recesses 🤔 Can anyone that's actually torn one apart confirm this? I just don't believe that an econobox hyundai has a fucking peterbuilt trans in it 😂

·
Registered
417 Posts
There's no transmission manufactured like that (prove me wrong) lol Idk where this guy got that info but it's not right...
Fairly sure EE got their info direct from Hyundai.

It is unlike any manual transmission I have seen, but I am telling you it has two output shafts and two final drives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah you're right about that lol I've rebuilt so many 6mt's I can't even remember them all but hey man you were right 👌🏻 I've literally never seen anything like that except in a over the road truck. That's my bad haha

With that said I don't see how you could be stuck in the other final output without causing catastrophic failure simply because 6th is gonna be locked to its final drive ratio 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 20 of 27 Posts