Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned some awesome cars in my life. Maybe my memory is just crap these days, but I can’t ever recall owning a vehicle that ppl always wanted to race or prove themselves against. It’s starting to make me regret my purchase a bit. Several times a week (sometimes more than once a day) ppl will take a right lane beside me at an intersection, even when the lane is ending. They literally leave my lane behind me for zero reason other than to blow past me and cut me off. Tonight I had my ass handed to me by a young guy and his girlfriend in a V6 Honda Crosstour. The guy never made eye contact with me but I knew exactly why he veered out behind me at red light and took the outside lane even though it was ending. I accelerated hard but stopped when I reached the speed limit and he easily passed me. Is this just a thing I’m going to be dealing with now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve owned some awesome cars in my life. Maybe my memory is just crap these days, but I can’t ever recall owning a vehicle that ppl always wanted to race or prove themselves against. It’s starting to make me regret my purchase a bit. Several times a week (sometimes more than once a day) ppl will take a right lane beside me at an intersection, even when the lane is ending. They literally leave my lane behind me for zero reason other than to blow past me and cut me off. Tonight I had my ass handed to me by a young guy and his girlfriend in a V6 Honda Crosstour. The guy never made eye contact with me but I knew exactly why he veered out behind me at red light and took the outside lane even though it was ending. I accelerated hard but stopped when I reached the speed limit and he easily passed me. Is this just a thing I’m going to be dealing with now?
Depends. I've had that sort of thing happen when I've got exhaust to the loudest setting far more often. My first thought reading the title was actually that this car has made me drive a bit like an ass. I have to catch myself frequently because of how nimble and fun it is to drive. It's usually during those times people start stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Used to happen to me when I first got the car. It would always be some idiot on a two lane road that eventually goes into one lane. The first few times I taught them a lesson but after a while it gets old.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying VERY hard not to get irritated or have a road ego but it is super frustrating when everyone seemingly wants to use their vehicle to say "my car is better than yours-- look at how fast I can go". Gonna try driving it in Eco mode for awhile to see if the soft exhaust setting tempers the attitudes of other drivers around me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live near a high school, so there are PLENTY of throttle-happy kids around flaunting their rides. I keep my N in Normal mode just to dissuade any expectations that I need to swing my ...uh... ego. ;) I've had a CTR roll up beside me on the highway a couple of times: I just keep my speed steady, give them the, "Nice car!" nod, and proceed to ignore them. Obviously, YMMV...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm trying VERY hard not to get irritated or have a road ego but it is super frustrating when everyone seemingly wants to use their vehicle to say "my car is better than yours-- look at how fast I can go". Gonna try driving it in Eco mode for awhile to see if the soft exhaust setting tempers the attitudes of other drivers around me.
I have realized that the performance blue draws a lot of attention, and on those tougher days it can be irritating. Interestingly enough I have had people get mad at me for driving the speed limit on my local neighborhood roads. I guess the bright blue low sports car gives them the idea I am hauling a**. More times than not I have had people roll up next to me excited about the car and give me a thumbs up or a smile and nod. Always an appreciated gesture, however it very quickly taught me that tinting my windows would be necessary to retain some privacy. Not racing is the best way to assert your dominance imo!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You drive a sporty car with hot-boy-red accents. Did you expect this NOT to happen?? Just keep calm and don't let others on the road have any impact on your emotional state. Do your own thing man. Just have fun and smile when these things happen. No need for the frustration or the post. It's really a given with cars like this. Just my take.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it makes you feel any better. I currently drive a civic sport hatchback and have similar things happen. The sportiest thing about it is the "Sport" badge but a lot of people love to be stupid so it still happens to me. I have stopped noticing and caring for the most part, just let them pass you sooner vs later and they seem less likely to cut you off aggressively at the end in my experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get this all the time despite my gray (white...) hair. I win most of these. It kind of depends on my mood too. I can usually tell when something is about to go down. Everybody wants to race me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After owning an Ariel Atom for 7 years, I can say unequivocally that I know a lot about getting attention from a car.
My Atom attracted more attention than even your ultra expensive supercars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc), and that owning my N for a few weeks now, I have to thankfully say I get very little attention or challenges from other cars, even though I have the most attention grabbing color performance blue.
If I really want attention, I find the best way to get it is to accelerate in N mode to just over 4,000 rpm and let off the throttle and you will get loud exhaust pops and bangs.
I'm soooooo glad I don't get a lot of attention in my N, as I got so sick of it in the Atom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know, I never understood the temptation to race against other cars on public roads, let alone cars that are a lot nicer than yours. So what if your modded 99' Lexus blows past an Aventador SVJ? I don't care if it's a drag race on a private road, but it is especially troublesome when you're cutting someone off on the freeway or going 100 miles on a residential street.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LOL!! Very, very strange. I was just having this same conversation with a friend of mine. About how this car strangely doesn't have that effect. I've driven cars which have drawn it, including an RSX Type-S. But for some reason, I just don't experience this in the Veloster N. People in my area (Chicago) often drive like A-holes, of course, don't get me wrong, but I don't experience any specific behaviour towards me that's any different than when I'm in my Subaru Outback.

Is it something in how you're driving yourself do you think? I drive fast but not aggressively. Or maybe it's the color? Is your car red or blue? Mine's white, which tends to be a neutral color that draws less attention than high impact colors.

Another thing to keep in mind is that aggressive driving is on the rise generally. I get people passing on my right and blowing by me like I'm driving too slow also (and I usually go 5-10 MPH over the speed limit). But, again, it's no different in the Outback versus the Veloster versus my E36 M3. It's just how people are now. We're in a less civil time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL!! Very, very strange. I was just having this same conversation with a friend of mine. About how this car strangely doesn't have that effect. I've driven cars which have drawn it, including an RSX Type-S. But for some reason, I just don't experience this in the Veloster N. People in my area (Chicago) often drive like A-holes, of course, don't get me wrong, but I don't experience any specific behaviour towards me that's any different than when I'm in my Subaru Outback.

Is it something in how you're driving yourself do you think? I drive fast but not aggressively. Or maybe it's the color? Is your car red or blue? Mine's white, which tends to be a neutral color that draws less attention than high impact colors.

Another thing to keep in mind is that aggressive driving is on the rise generally. I get people passing on my right and blowing by me like I'm driving too slow also (and I usually go 5-10 MPH over the speed limit). But, again, it's no different in the Outback versus the Veloster versus my E36 M3. It's just how people are now. We're in a less civil time.
I can absolutely promise it’s nothing I’m doing to encourage this. I’m very law abiding. I don’t crank up the music with the windows down, rev my engine when in neutral, and my car is gray— (I selected this colour on purpose because I felt it was the least attention getting). Not sure what to say lol. I had a MINI JCW with over 10 grand in performance upgrades years ago— it was the same situation. Once I took the massive M7 diffuser off the back and replaced it with my stock spoiler, the shenanigans all but stopped. I think I’m just hyper sensitive to noticing all these things. Prob a lot of ppl don’t notice or don’t care. Drove the car in Eco mode for the past few days and still had a guy in an Audi S4 try to start something with me by aggressively tailgating (no reason, I was in slow lane and no traffic in other lane) only to gun it and zip by me then cut me off in my lane. It defies logic. Then he got back into the passing lane so he could be beside me at an intersection and proceeded to hand my ass to me when the light turned green. I’m literally listening to talk radio news and minding my business. Oh well! Still love the car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I think this is just how people are now. I've noticed a massive increase in aggressive driving over the past 2-3 years. Tailgating, cutting off at high speeds, driving on the right shoulder to get around traffic, blasting down the highway at triple digit speeds, etc. Sure, that always existed, but not to the level of commonality we see now.

I don't want to turn this into a political thing in any way but we're just so polarized now that people feel they have a license to be an a-hole. There's also a growing sense of entitlement, particularly in younger people. Add those things together and driving is becoming less pleasant on the whole.

You live in Canada so maybe your nation is different. But what you're saying sounds eerily similar to what I've been observing. And again, it doesn't matter if I'm in my dorky 2002 Outback, my Veloster N, my E36 M3, or a RAV-4 rental car. I'm going to experience it in any one of them. Doesn't make it right, but my guess is your car isn't really a magnet for anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can absolutely promise it’s nothing I’m doing to encourage this. I’m very law abiding. I don’t crank up the music with the windows down, rev my engine when in neutral, and my car is gray— (I selected this colour on purpose because I felt it was the least attention getting). Not sure what to say lol. I had a MINI JCW with over 10 grand in performance upgrades years ago— it was the same situation. Once I took the massive M7 diffuser off the back and replaced it with my stock spoiler, the shenanigans all but stopped. I think I’m just hyper sensitive to noticing all these things. Prob a lot of ppl don’t notice or don’t care. Drove the car in Eco mode for the past few days and still had a guy in an Audi S4 try to start something with me by aggressively tailgating (no reason, I was in slow lane and no traffic in other lane) only to gun it and zip by me then cut me off in my lane. It defies logic. Then he got back into the passing lane so he could be beside me at an intersection and proceeded to hand my ass to me when the light turned green. I’m literally listening to talk radio news and minding my business. Oh well! Still love the car!
That's probably part of the problem. I know I was taught to drive defensively. I quickly realized that driving the speed limit and putting my blinker on a bit before a turn just encouraged people to block me out and fly past me/cut me off. Driving assertively but not aggressively has basically cured those issues. I try to always stay away from packs of other cars and although I may drive fast I don't cut anybody off or weave all over the place. Haven't had an at fault accident in over 20 years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's probably part of the problem. I know I was taught to drive defensively. I quickly realized that driving the speed limit and putting my blinker on a bit before a turn just encouraged people to block me out and fly past me/cut me off. Driving assertively but not aggressively has basically cured those issues. I try to always stay away from packs of other cars and although I may drive fast I don't cut anybody off or weave all over the place. Haven't had an at fault accident in over 20 years.
True, and when you do see an aggressive driver (which I can see coming from a mile away), I personally think it's best to let them pass. My rule of thumb is I'd rather have them in front of me than behind me. There's of course a very strong temptation to just accelerate a little and prevent them from going around (and I admit I succumb to this more often than I should, heh), but engaging them just escalates the situation and will usually cause them to do something even more dangerous and stupid than they are already doing. Let them go and drive on, IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts