Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have an issue with the shifter getting "stuck" for maybe half a second when downshifting into 2nd gear? It doesn't happen when shifting from 1st to 2nd or when the car is stopped and I do a pretend downshift with the clutch pushed in. It's not a big deal but I figured I'd see if others experienced this and if it's normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Um yep... I'm only 500 miles in on mine and I've noticed that downshifting into 2nd gear, sometimes (not every time) the shifter will hit a brick wall sort of speak. There is nothing I can do to get it to go into 2nd gear. I will either have to go back into 3rd or slow down more to downshift into 1st. I'm wondering if it may be a synchro problem? Who knows. I'm going to give it some time, try doing it more and more and see if I can get it to break in. But if it keeps happening I will have to take it in to the dealer.

Obviously now I'm not the only one so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um yep... I'm only 500 miles in on mine and I've noticed that downshifting into 2nd gear, sometimes (not every time) the shifter will hit a brick wall sort of speak. There is nothing I can do to get it to go into 2nd gear. I will either have to go back into 3rd or slow down more to downshift into 1st. I'm wondering if it may be a synchro problem? Who knows. I'm going to give it some time, try doing it more and more and see if I can get it to break in. But if it keeps happening I will have to take it in to the dealer.

Obviously now I'm not the only one so...
What you just described is significantly worse than anything I've experienced, I've never been blocked out of 2nd gear before. For me, downshifting into 2nd gear is slightly slower than other gears do to this "block" but it's never gotten to the point where I can't get into 2nd or that it's difficult to get into 2nd. I have my first service coming up so I guess I'll bring it up then.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So far all my upshifting and downshifting has been flawless, have not noticed any hesitation downshifting into 2nd.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only issue I have is the transition from 1st to 2nd gear being a little jolting, but that could be my foot on the clutch too. I've just hit 6000 miles on mine and so far no issues with shifting between the gears at all. The downshifts with Rev Matching turned on are buttery smooth. It does seem like the catch point on the clutch is different just a tad sometimes. But once again I'm guessing that's me because this car has a electronic clutch, that switch isn't moving....I don't think you can adjust the clutch???????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...just to be 100% sure... is the following text showing up on your dash when you try to do it?
No that definitely is not the case, I'm not trying to money shift my car :grin:.

Reading over what I originally wrote, I think I explained the situation poorly. "Stuck" is not the right word to describe it, the shifter never actually stops. It's more so that when downshifting into 2nd gear it requires slightly more force to get in the slot compared to any other time, but it doesn't effect my driving experience which is why I said it's not a big deal.

When I wrote this post last night I hadn't driven my car in a few days so I was a little fuzzy on what exactly it felt like.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No that definitely is not the case, I'm not trying to money shift my car :grin:.

Reading over what I originally wrote, I think I explained the situation poorly. "Stuck" is not the right word to describe it, the shifter never actually stops. It's more so that when downshifting into 2nd gear it requires slightly more force to get in the slot compared to any other time, but it doesn't effect my driving experience which is why I said it's not a big deal.

When I wrote this post last night I hadn't driven my car in a few days so I was a little fuzzy on what exactly it felt like.
What mode are you in or is this 100% of the time in all modes? Try N Custom and set the rev match at different levels to see if the blip helps you get in. I keep it in the most aggressive and it makes downshifts buttery. I do notice I have to practice downshifting into 3rd before 2nd with rev match aggressive because I'm used to braking from 60mph and throwing it into 2nd in prep for a turn and obviously not clutching out until some braking gets done or riding in clutched for neutral until I'm slowed before clutching out and the rev match goes nuts because it thinks I'm going to immediately engage 2nd.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue with the shifter getting "stuck" for maybe half a second when downshifting into 2nd gear? It doesn't happen when shifting from 1st to 2nd or when the car is stopped and I do a pretend downshift with the clutch pushed in. It's not a big deal but I figured I'd see if others experienced this and if it's normal.
A lot depends upon what RPM you are at when shifting down to second.:wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have not had that problem at all with any gear. I do remember another N owner that mentioned his car doesn't like to engage into 6th gear at high rpms. I would mention this to my dealer's service department.

If the dealer doesn't resolve it, I would change the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine is giving me the issue of being harder to shift from first to second and second to third. And sometimes there is an audible click kinda I can hear if i have the windows down when shifting these gears the click is not every time. More so if I'm shifting faster or hard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No that definitely is not the case, I'm not trying to money shift my car 😁.

Mine does the same. But it is more on the upshift than the down

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok so I was just playing around out in the car I've noticed the ambient sound with the clutch depressed is getting a little louder. And my shifting problem i found out if i press the clutch i can hear the rotary noise that it making wind down and stop if i wait for that it shifts in gears like butter. If i immediately try to put in gear before the noise goes away its fights me. Anyway. got an appt with dealer 9 am monday. Will update

1 - 15 of 15 Posts