Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission in automatic mode doesnt shift out of first. Car lit up the over rev red light three times during one 50 mile drive. Of course the dealer cannot duplicate it. No codes and no TSBs so I'm getting it back with no fix.. great - no wonder they need a 100k warranty. DCT is fun (I could not find a manual) but the DCT is clearly another lousy Hyundai transmission.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What's lousy is people who make accounts just to complain... No one here can help you. Imagine the thousands of N cars w/dct that are beat on daily with no issues. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
2021 Performance Blue VN 6MT
157 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Fred - I hope the dealer can resolve your issue. Are you running stock? How many miles?

I know the 7sp (dry) DCT (used in the Elantra Sport) had issues as well. Yours is the first I've heard with the 8sp wet DCT in the VN with shifting issues, but given that it is also used in the Elantra N and Kona N, I'd think if it was a design flaw, more folks would be complaining about it.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
780 Posts
In all manufactured items there will be a small number of component failures. That is simple statistics. I do hope that a code, or similar, shows-up and you get your car serviced under warranty. I have not heard anything negative to date about the 8 DCT. That transmission was designed and expected to be beat on. Time will tell, but it hope everything works out.

Reactions: VeloturboN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear about this Fred - I hope the dealer can resolve your issue. Are you running stock? How many miles?

I know the 7sp (dry) DCT (used in the Elantra Sport) had issues as well. Yours is the first I've heard with the 8sp wet DCT in the VN with shifting issues, but given that it is also used in the Elantra N and Kona N, I'd think if it was a design flaw, more folks would be complaining about it.
Thank you for that measured response. I doubt enough Elantra, Kona and even 2022 V's have been sold since they have been so hard to find for much to crop up. Thanks again, i will update the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's lousy is people who make accounts just to complain... No one here can help you. Imagine the thousands of N cars w/dct that are beat on daily with no issues. Good luck with the car.
Oh so do you decide who says what? I also have a 2007 Lotus Exige S with 5000 road track miles.. (Virginia International, all 3 Summit Point tracks and Mid-Ohio). How much track time do you have Chief? And yeah my 2012 Genesis transmission went at 62k so yeah I might wonder a little. And I created the account to see if others had the problem so I could tell the dealer I'm not the only one. If it will make you feel better you can run me off the forum. Seems a shame tho, I got some decent responses from drivers here, notl oud pronouncements of "wrong behavior" from the central maven.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh so do you decide who says what? I also have a 2007 Lotus Exige S with 5000 road track miles.. (Virginia International, all 3 Summit Point tracks and Mid-Ohio). How much track time do you have Chief? And yeah my 2012 Genesis transmission went at 62k so yeah I might wonder a little. And I created the account to see if others had the problem so I could tell the dealer I'm not the only one. If it will make you feel better you can run me off the forum. Seems a shame tho, I got some decent responses from drivers here, notl oud pronouncements of "wrong behavior" from the central maven.
Congratulations. All that experience and yet you can't understand that your car is an anomaly. Come on here saying Hyundai has an inherently flawed or "lousy" transmission lol. You are literally the first and only person I've heard bad things about the 8dct, which both Hyundai and Kia use in multiple models for a couple of years now.

I'm not trying to run you off the forum at all. There is a difference between "I'm having issues, is anyone else having issues too?" And "I'm having an issue so cleary this car is junk"

Welcome in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you Mightar. Sorry all i made such a blanket statement about the DCT being lousy.. With my 2012 Genesis I got the same "we can't duplicate it; its not throwing any codes. Finally yes the ZF 040 transmission is bad and has been superceded by the Aisin 050 and you need a new one. Hyundai DID give me a remanufactured 050 and I happily paid $2800 in labor. 40k later it is going strong. EPA idiocy forced everybody to gear up. Our first clue should have been when ZF said "good news, we bumped our 6 speed to 8 and guess what - it is 9 pounds lighter!"

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Sounds like the control module needs to be reprogrammed. With all the sensors and control modules onboard now a days, it’s generally the first place to start. I heard of a similar problem and it was the DCT control module.🤞

So far, the wet clutch DCT in the VN sounds fairly robust but there’s always one out of the lot. I don’t believe it’s a major issue. Proof is what you need. A video of the problem is generally an eye opener for the dealer service dept.

Hope you are able to isolate the problem and they’re able to initiate a proper repair. On the down low, let’s attempt to keep the kerfuffle to a low roar. No need to escalate here.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another member also had issues with theirs. Also a 2022. Looks like it was replaced and is working fine now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations. All that experience and yet you can't understand that your car is an anomaly. Come on here saying Hyundai has an inherently flawed or "lousy" transmission lol. You are literally the first and only person I've heard bad things about the 8dct, which both Hyundai and Kia use in multiple models for a couple of years now.

I'm not trying to run you off the forum at all. There is a difference between "I'm having issues, is anyone else having issues too?" And "I'm having an issue so cleary this car is junk"

Welcome in.
Alright Turbo, I am sorry I got my feathers ruffled Shouldnt make blanket judgements. But you werent in a spanking new N car in traffic leaving a light in 1st gear at 6k rpm.. so maybe you could let me rant a little? And oh by the way, I whined that the DCT is bad BUT the car is as much fun as the Lotus and it is a BAD little piece.. Bierman or whoever that BMW engineer that Hyundai stole is a freakin genius.. I can't wait to get this V onto VIR. To quote the great driver Paul Newman "If there is a heaven on earth, it is VIR." Second the motion Paul. The climbing Esses are amazing..all u can do is repeat Turn, pause, turn, pause, turn, don't pinch 10.. and pucker Baby... Laguna Seca's DOWNHILL corkscrew must be terrifying. At least with the climbing Esses, you got gravity on your side... again Turbo I an sorry..ok? Truly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the control module needs to be reprogrammed. With all the sensors and control modules onboard now a days, it’s generally the first place to start. I heard of a similar problem and it was the DCT control module.🤞

So far, the wet clutch DCT in the VN sounds fairly robust but there’s always one out of the lot. I don’t believe it’s a major issue. Proof is what you need. A video of the problem is generally an eye opener for the dealer service dept.

Hope you are able to isolate the problem and they’re able to initiate a proper repair. On the down low, let’s attempt to keep the kerfuffle to a low roar. No need to escalate here.👍🇺🇸
Will do Red. I asked the dealer about reflashing and they said if there is no TSB and no Hyundai fix they don't want to reflash yet.. that makes sense. And yes, if it happens again I will get video.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Alright Turbo, I am sorry I got my feathers ruffled Shouldnt make blanket judgements. But you werent in a spanking new N car in traffic leaving a light in 1st gear at 6k rpm.. so maybe you could let me rant a little? And oh by the way, I whined that the DCT is bad BUT the car is as much fun as the Lotus and it is a BAD little piece.. Bierman or whoever that BMW engineer that Hyundai stole is a freakin genius.. I can't wait to get this V onto VIR. To quote the great driver Paul Newman "If there is a heaven on earth, it is VIR." Second the motion Paul. The climbing Esses are amazing..all u can do is repeat Turn, pause, turn, pause, turn, don't pinch 10.. and pucker Baby... Laguna Seca's DOWNHILL corkscrew must be terrifying. At least with the climbing Esses, you got gravity on your side... again Turbo I an sorry..ok? Truly.
No hard feelings 🤙

·
Registered
2022 VN DCT
22 Posts
I have a 22 DCT with 6K miles on it now with some mild mods and have had zero issues, driving hard in N mode or just cruising to work in eco. I have forgotten to bump the shifter back into D when taking off from a light and have hit the limiter in 1st before I realized it was still in M. Pretty embarrassing.🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I have a 22 DCT with 6K miles on it now with some mild mods and have had zero issues, driving hard in N mode or just cruising to work in eco. I have forgotten to bump the shifter back into D when taking off from a light and have hit the limiter in 1st before I realized it was still in M. Pretty embarrassing.🤦‍♂️
Thank you VN. I checked that first all 3 times since it is the kind of thing that I easily could do. It might be the car thinks it is in manual mode, because at least once it DID display a large "2".. thanks again, I will make sure of the shifter position - all good info. Thank God for the rev limiter right?
Another member also had issues with theirs. Also a 2022. Looks like it was replaced and is working fine now

Yes, I wasnt picking up speed much either. I'm inclined to think it revved that high just because it was in a low gear but then it should have really taken off.

·
Registered
2022 VN DCT
22 Posts
Another thig that is easy to do and easy to forget about is clicking a shift paddle intentionally or by mistake. This will put the trans in M mode temporarily even though the shifter is in D. The trans will stay in M mode if you are active on the paddles. Once you stop using the paddles the trans will automatically go back to D but this takes what seems like a minute or so. I got into the habit of cycling the shifter from D to M back to D once I am done using the paddles, this puts the trans back to D instantly.

·
Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
149 Posts
The climbing Esses are amazing..all u can do is repeat Turn, pause, turn, pause, turn, don't pinch 10.. and pucker Baby... Laguna Seca's DOWNHILL corkscrew must be terrifying. At least with the climbing Esses, you got gravity on your side...
I was able to participate in Hyundai’s promotional event with the VN at laguna seca. Stock dct VNs. The corkscrew was the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced. Honestly wish my local track had something like that, but at Utah Motorsports Campus the best thing we have are the attitudes. The attitudes are lots of fun, but corkscrew is so much better.

·
Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
149 Posts
Another thig that is easy to do and easy to forget about is clicking a shift paddle intentionally or by mistake. This will put the trans in M mode temporarily even though the shifter is in D. The trans will stay in M mode if you are active on the paddles. Once you stop using the paddles the trans will automatically go back to D but this takes what seems like a minute or so. I got into the habit of cycling the shifter from D to M back to D once I am done using the paddles, this puts the trans back to D instantly.
Considering the statement from Fred I think there might be a good chance that this is what happened. I have a Kona N with the DCT and found out that if you press and hold the right paddle (while the shifter is in automatic mode) this will return the car to auto mode instead of the slightly awkward manual (but shifter in auto) mode. You will know if you are truly in automatic if there is a D next to the gear indicator in the dash (at least on the Kona N). I imagine the VN DCT has something similar.

On a similar note, pressing and holding the left paddle will downshift to the lowest safe gear for the car at its given speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts