Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
My OCD needs to get this sorted in my mind so if you can help, I’d appreciate it. I have a 2021 Veloster n, I’ve ordered replacement wheels and tires from the dealership. They can’t order the TPMS sensors for my model year as there isn’t a p/n for them yet.
They also won’t use the previous years model TPMS sensors as this would mean some ecu reprogramming which, I’m being told by the dealership, will void my warranty (not prepared to do that)
I’ve already order the wheels as these are the ones I really want for the car, just a little frustrated about the fact that the dealer can’t seem to get what is needed to complete the job correctly.
thoughts?
Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
NO, it won't void you warranty that's a lie. They don't know so they are telling you anything. The TPMS are the same MHz as the previous years and the ECU will register those with the same MHz. I believe I already posted a website you can purchase them from directly at a much less expensive cost. I believe they quoted you over $220.00. Even if they were the wrong MHz, they wouldn't register in the ECU that's it. The second link is the actual Hyundai OEM sensors.
There isn't a part number for them, as your service department doesn't have the 2021 service manual. The rest is typical Hyundai dealership crap o get you to purchase only what they have available. In this case, they have nothing and want you to wait for them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much and apologies for making you add this info again. Its been a little worldwind for me recently, Bought a car that i really wasn’t planning to buy yet but thats fine, had to deal with my wife losing her dad at the beginning of our weeks vacation this week so that added pressure in to the mix.
Trying to enjoy the car and do everything correctly so that i can protect my investment (if you can call a car an investment) This is why, for the first time in 30yrs of buying cars, ive literally done everything at the dealership.
Ill get my head screwed on correctly for next week, take your advice and get the TPMS sensors myself, rather than have the dealership thinking that i some sort of an idiot who knows nothing about cars.
Thanks again for the info, i really appreciate it. If i can ask one more question, I’m breaking the new car in, but even i realize that i drove it harder on all 4 of my test drives prior to me buying the car. Do i “baby” the car now until my first service due at 5k which wont be until next summer (probably) or do i simply drive, enjoy and stop babying a car that has already seen revs beyond 4K rpms?
Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Mike, I suggest you drive the car as normal and not baby it. Stay out of WOT for the first 500 miles varying the throttle, then utilize WOT from 500-750 miles for no more than about 30 seconds at a time, letting the engine cool off between any further WOT runs at lower rpms. This is called "heat cycling" the internal parts and will help the rings seat well. Give it to 750 miles and drive it like you would normally after break in. You want to be sure the engine internals are heat cycled and babing the engine won't help. You can run the engine at a sustained 4000 rpm on open road. Try to stay away from short trips and bumper to bumper city or HWY traffic during the first 750 miles.

Have the first oil changed at 2500 to 3000 miles tops. 3K mileage oil change is for "severe use." It's good for the engine, as they utilize an OW30 synthetic blend from the factory. Viscosity by 3K miles will be nearer to OW20. Make them change it not later than 3K miles on the odometer. If you have the dealership do the oil change, make sure you specify fully synthetic oil. If you don't, they will utilize a synthetic blend motor oil.

Your welcome and if you have any other question don't hesitate to PM me directly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it, I haven’t been anywhere near WOT (Wide open throttle), just testing for understanding) so that’s a good thing. The car has just under 200miles so far so I have a ways to go yet.
It seems that I’m going to be at”loggerheads“ with the dealership as, so far, they are now on strike two. Strike one, TPMS saga (ill leave that there as Ive already talked to the sales guy who is a friend of mine) and he will get that sorted with the link you sent me)
Strike two, so I asked about the first oil change earlier on this week and i was told 5k which did seem like a stretch to me, your quote sounds more like what I would expect, 2.5k-3k max and replace with fully synthetic oil.
seems like I’m gonna need to put my manager hat on and start ”insisting“ instead of requesting🤔
Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yes sir, it's your car and it's what you want decide to do.

Personally I believe the 5K service interval needs to be varied for the VN to a maximum of 3.5K but that's my personal opinion, especially utilizing a synthetic blend motor oil. 5K is fine for a fully synthetic. Not everyone knows they utilize a synthetic blend and never ask. 5K is Hyundai and Kia normal service intervals for every car them manufacture rather naturally aspirated or turbocharged.

Being your in Canada, you have some extreme weather conditions, some of which are severe. Hence the "severe use," service. If they utilize a lower viscosity oil for colder climates, and cars engines oil temps are below 220 degrees, they need to change it more often. 220 degrees is the temp that is required to burn off deposits and water accumulation in the crankcase. So again this is classified "severe use."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Personally I believe the 5K service interval needs to be varied for the VN to a maximum of 3.5K but that's my personal opinion, especially utilizing a synthetic blend motor oil. 5K is fine for a fully synthetic. Not everyone knows they utilize a synthetic blend and never ask. 5K is Hyundai and Kia normal service intervals for every car them manufacture rather naturally aspirated or turbocharged.

Being your in Canada, you have some extreme weather conditions, some of which are severe. Hence the "severe use," service. If they utilize a lower viscosity oil for colder climates, and cars engines oil temps are below 220 degrees, they need to change it more often. 220 degrees is the temp that is required to burn off deposits and water accumulation in the crankcase. So again this is classified "severe use."
This is great info, and I love the technical detail, as it gives me a lead in to do more research. Then I can go and talk to them with some level of understanding. Just something I like to do.
Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please do and insist on what you desire them to do with your VN. Off for a long walk.
Will do. I walk daily too, including the treadmill, started out as a stress reliever, now I actually crave it daily. Take care mate.
Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts

Not that there is anything wrong with being conservative on the oil change interval, but if you aren't racing, I don't think you need to do 3000 miles after the first change. I did a UOA and Blackstone said that 5000 miles would be fine. Are there other UOA's out there that show otherwise?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Granted but with the temps the OEM turbo creates, I'm a firm believer in refreshing oil more regularly. Thermal breakdown is a factor when using the VN hard. I don't believe there is anything wrong with changing oil at 5K, just that it needs to be adjusted for the type of engine and use.

What oil were you utilizing? Alot depends upon the oil utilized. If you were using 0W30, 'll bet if you look at your lab test results, you will see the viscosity was around 0W20 at the 5K interval. Many others others have seen this as well. Fuel dilution is very low as well for the VN.:) (y)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called TPMS.com to get the sensors, they need th part number of the sensor thats currently used on the 2021 model. Dealership says they don't have the 2021 part number yet so, I’m actually done with this, I've wasted a lot of time that i wont get back and resulted in nothing.
At this point, i would be changing the wheels over and our bad weather here in BC woupdated already be changing as we don't tend to get early bad winters. If one of the P-Zeros gets damaged, i have warranty on it so im going to leave it for now.
If there is one thing that frustrates me, its wasting time, i simply don't have it to waste.
Thanks for listening.
Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Mike, don't tell them you want 2021 TPMS. Just order the 2020's and be done with it. This way you're not wasting time. I'm telling you directly the 2020 TPMS will work just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, don't tell them you want 2021 TPMS. Just order the 2020's and be done with it. This way you're not wasting time. I'm telling you directly the 2020 TPMS will work just fine.
Yep man, i totally understand, they wanted the year of the car so i had to tell them, thats when it fell apart. No worries though. I’m placing this at the back of the cupboard now, far too much effort for such a small thing.
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep man, i totally understand, they wanted the year of the car so i had to tell them, thats when it fell apart. No worries though. I’m placing this at the back of the cupboard now, far too much effort for such a small thing.
Mike
I'm also having a bad time with the same thing.. I really don't understand what Hyundai Canada or Hyundai dealer is doing. I even got the original TPMS sensors from Hyundai and went to dealership with the TPMS sensors to install it, but they said they can not install them on my rims because there is difference regulations between Canada and South Korea as well as the sensors made in S. Korea. That's why it won't be working even if the tpms sensors are installed.. This car is made in South Korea, that's why all the parts made in South Korea... I really don't understand and it doesn't make sense at all. USA and S.korea use the same part of the TPMS sensor.. what should we do..?? this is so stupid what they do.. I'm already sick and tired of Hyundai..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don’t even worry yourself about it Aaron. Canadian versions of the Veloster “do not” use the TPMS sensor system. Just keep walking man, nothing to see here lol.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts