Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I attended the first event of the year for me. It was soooo good to be back after being stuck at home for so long. It was like a therapy! I will use this thread to share my notes and videos from the events.

As I mentioned in my Pagid RST1 thread, I tested out the new pads in this event. Very happy with their performance. Tires are now the biggest limiting factor on both lateral and longitudinal grip. I don't have plans to upgrade the wheels and tires this year. I am going to try to finish the PZeros off and then change the setup. Once I step up to 200tw, my braking distances will drop significantly and I can carry a lot more speed through the turns.

Here is the video of my fastest run:

I was P3 in class (out of 7) - P14 overall (out of 72). 0.816s behind a FBO Half caged Civic Type R with PS4S 285s and 1.099s behind a FBO Civic Si with A052.

Telemetry recording didn't work on TrackAddict. It's a bummer. I used IATs and Ambient temps to compare runs. Luckily, it wasn't too hot and I was opening the hood to let the car cool down. My GoPro also didn't record my fastest run from the first heat. I will upload my other runs later and post them here.

Let me know if you have any comments and/or tips on the video.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I normally should be doing a few Time Attacks this year, will be doing so on OE tyres for now. Casual lapping has started again, but because we have a curfew (yeeeeeah), they dont do the usual weeknight format and so its the weekend when I work. So I dont think I'll be able to do a shakedown to see how the stock brakes do unless the situation changes (it wont).

Wait and see lol. It's getting some camber bolts and some 5w40 next week. Quite hyped to see how it does on track, just got the car (its a 21'), but the little I tested on some on ramps it's looking quite nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am going to try to finish the PZeros off and then change the setup.
Good stuff and oh boy you sure can tell in the video by hearing the tire rollover and vibrations coming through the chassis. Burn those P-Zero's out of commission!
I'm sure you can tell they're the weakest link for track work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FWIW, I did a full day at GingerMan Saturday. Seven sessions of 20 minutes each. I was on track for all of it in my 2021 DCT.

The stock brakes worked well. I had no issues. I checked the pads when I got home and they look like new. Certainly nothing like some Yellowstuff pads I had on my R-spec where they were worn past 50% and could not have done a second event.

I'm running on 18" Falken RT615K+ and tire wear was good. I was NOT burning up the outside edge like I was worried about. I do have the DCT so I have -1.7 degrees of camber stock. I was assuming I was going to have to put camber bolts in, but I may not now. I should probably stay legal for SCCA autocross and time trials.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW, I did a full day at GingerMan Saturday. Seven sessions of 20 minutes each. I was on track for all of it in my 2021 DCT.
Dang, I almost went over there for this event. One of the instructors was casually attempting to get me to head over, but after looking at the weather report and checking account I decided against it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dang, I almost went over there for this event. One of the instructors was casually attempting to get me to head over, but after looking at the weather report and checking account I decided against it.
Five sessions dry, one wet and one damp but drying.

I tested the ESC in sport mode in the damp session and it worked well.

All in all it was great because I got to test all of the goodies in the DCT and figure out what works.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
452 Posts
Last weekend, I attended the first event of the year for me. It was soooo good to be back after being stuck at home for so long. It was like a therapy! I will use this thread to share my notes and videos from the events.

As I mentioned in my Pagid RST1 thread, I tested out the new pads in this event. Very happy with their performance. Tires are now the biggest limiting factor on both lateral and longitudinal grip. I don't have plans to upgrade the wheels and tires this year. I am going to try to finish the PZeros off and then change the setup. Once I step up to 200tw, my braking distances will drop significantly and I can carry a lot more speed through the turns.

Here is the video of my fastest run:

I was P3 in class (out of 7) - P14 overall (out of 72). 0.816s behind a FBO Half caged Civic Type R with PS4S 285s and 1.099s behind a FBO Civic Si with A052.

Telemetry recording didn't work on TrackAddict. It's a bummer. I used IATs and Ambient temps to compare runs. Luckily, it wasn't too hot and I was opening the hood to let the car cool down. My GoPro also didn't record my fastest run from the first heat. I will upload my other runs later and post them here.

Let me know if you have any comments and/or tips on the video.
200TW tires will give you the 1 second you need. After that - seat time to perfect your craft!

-JE

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff and oh boy you sure can tell in the video by hearing the tire rollover and vibrations coming through the chassis. Burn those P-Zero's out of commission!
I'm sure you can tell they're the weakest link for track work.
Yeah. I can't wait to jump on some 200tw tires. Car has a lot more potential. I will be able to use more of the braking power of the RST1s too.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
200TW tires will give you the 1 second you need. After that - seat time to perfect your craft!

-JE
I hope so 😁. I am sure it will take some seat time to get used to the extra grip

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The stock brakes worked well. I had no issues. I checked the pads when I got home and they look like new. Certainly nothing like some Yellowstuff pads I had on my R-spec where they were worn past 50% and could not have done a second event.

I'm running on 18" Falken RT615K+ and tire wear was good. I was NOT burning up the outside edge like I was worried about. I do have the DCT so I have -1.7 degrees of camber stock. I was assuming I was going to have to put camber bolts in, but I may not now. I should probably stay legal for SCCA autocross and time trials.
Nice. I am looking at those tires for a balance between HPDE and track cross. My wallet likes the good wear

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah. I can't wait to jump on some 200tw tires. Car has a lot more potential. I will be able to use more of the braking power of the RST1s too.
I have two events in June and one in July. One event at circuit of the America’s and the other two events at a different track.

Looking forward to using my MANDO and testing out differing theories on the same track for my driving style verse the pre-programmed default modes that come with the N.

I’ll keep you posted on that as well.

peace,
-JE

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two events in June and one in July. One event at circuit of the America’s and the other two events at a different track.

Looking forward to using my MANDO and testing out differing theories on the same track for my driving style verse the pre-programmed default modes that come with the N.

I’ll keep you posted on that as well.

peace,
-JE
Looking forward to it man. COTA is such a bucket list track for me. I love driving it in Assetto Corsa

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looking forward to it man. COTA is such a bucket list track for me. I love driving it in Assetto Corsa
Oh man you should come down sometime. They have events there every month from may till september. It's only 2 hours and 45 minutes from my house for what I consider to be a PREMIER TRACK. Im gonna make a weekend of it and be there friday night till sunday.

Ill also be there also in late fall to watch the F1 race in person. Gonna be epic between HAM and Mad MAX.

Shoot me a message if you ever want to come.

-JE

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot to post this. Prep video for the first HPDE of 2021. I am processing the runs right now. A lot of processing time for these 4k 60fps videos.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the recap video of the event:

TL;DW:
The car did well. Oil temps were 280ish. Pagid RST1s were great. Too much for Pzeros. I wasn't hard on the brakes. I removed the heat shield. That cause the brake line rubber to melt. I wrapped the lines already.

Improved a lot over the weekend. I posted most of the sessions on YouTube. I delaminated the Pzeros. Already changed wheels and tires (more to come on this).

I go over a brake job mistake that cause premature wear on the rotors and develop heat checking cracks. I bought new rock auto Raybestos rotors. R1s are back up rotors for now.

Also intercooler hot pipe came off loose first. Then it popped off completely. I could hear the turbo spin but no air was being pushed to the IC lol. I managed to fix it on track and still do two more sessions.

I got heat stroke and felt like **** because of working under the sun to fix the IC pipe. Still managed to do a personal best lol. All the adrenaline masked all the issues lol. Drive home was extremely miserable.

Anyways, I have a track cross this weekend and HPDE July 4th weekend. Both at summit point. Track Cross is at Jefferson track and HPDE is on Main.

I have some nice upgrades for the event. I will post about them soon

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

New upgrades are in on the car:
  • Forge Camber plates
  • SPL rear arms
  • GTRadial Champiro SX2 RS 245/40r18
  • Konig Ampliform 18x8.5 +35

I managed to use them at TrackCross and HPDE. I will post about my experience from those events.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
June 27th Track Cross:

It went well. I was P1 both morning and afternoon heats. I got some good points into the championship. I am so glad that I got 200tw tires. All the competition is on 200tw and it's mandatory to run if you want to complete.

I managed to get up to speed quickly and put down some fast runs. RST1s paired with stickier tires is awesome. I can brake late and carry more speed into the corners.

It was a super hot day, so car was not running at full power. Since most cars in the class are all turbo charged cars, everyone was suffering lol.

I have a very high backlog of videos to process. I still have May Track Cross videos to upload. So videos to come.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two Day HPDE at Summit Main:

I signed up as a solo intermediate driver. This would give me access to the 2 hour open sessions per day on top of the 3 x 30 minute sessions.

Since it was the first time running with this organization, they put me in the novice group for a check ride. It was too slow in the novice group, so we did a lead follow in the intermediate session with the instructor. He was following me. He pit later and signed me off to run in that group. Rules are passing anywhere with a point by. It was fun!

I overheated the rotors and "warped" the rotors. So I had a lot of vibrations. I pit in right after to check out the car. My instructor took the car for a lap and said that it's just pad deposit on the rotors. It was safe to continue. I powered through.

First day, I clocked in 60 laps. 29 of them were from the open session in the end. I was able to go for about 45 minutes until the fuel was close to low fuel light. I pit in to pack to go home.

Second day, I skipped the first two sessions to rest a bit and spend time with my wife. She wasn't feeling well. I drove to the track for the last intermediate session and the open session. I did a total of 30 laps. Open session got me 31 laps over 50 minutes. I decided to just pack and go home after that. I didn't want to push my luck with the car.

Now to review how the car did over the event:

Car handled the open sessions really well. On the main straights, I wouldn't push the engine all the way to the red flashing lights. So I would short shift in a lot of places. Some spots, I do have to short shift due be able to put the power down better and settle the car. Other places, I just didn't see the value of pushing that hard. I was using these sessions to learn the new setup and experiment new things. I managed to set a 1:27.5 as my personal best. I will have videos out in couple of weeks probably.

Oil temps stayed right at 270-280F. It was consistent. IATs were around 110-120. Engine bay wasn't crazy hot. It gets much hotter in track cross due to idling. Brakes were consistent every run. As long as I braked at the same spot every time. There were runs where I would overtake or give point bys and brake a bit later, that would cause me to go a bit wider into the turns. I never went off. I was practicing on not dragging the brakes too much. That way I can keep the temps lower. I would use shorter by harder brake pressure and once I have enough rotation, I would lift off the brakes.

Tires did overheat when I would run in "hot lap" mode. It's hot to not get into that mode for me. In TrackCross, I am always ready to drive hard out of the line. So I had to manage the tires. So I would keep less full throttle coming out of turns. I would also try to rotate the car more with pedals and keep same steering input.

Anyways, they weren't lying when they said that they tested this car on the ring. Hyundai Germany used RSL2 to test the N cars on track, not with stock pads. So I will be switching to RSL2 for HPDE events for future events. I will continue using RST1 for track cross

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Incoming videos!
Track Cross #3 sessions:

This and Track Cross #4 were on PZeros still.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts