Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m a new member here. I traded in my 2016 Rally Edition for a 2020 N non PP. When I bought it, it had around 9k miles on it and one previous owner. Everything checked out, and it seemed well taken care of. Other than it not being the PP, I really enjoying driving it.

The other night, I drove it after being parked for a few hours. It was all the way warmed up, I put it in N mode, and when I shifted from 1-2, I noticed a sort of lag or jerk and the same from 2-3, but it fell off going from 3-4. After that, I switched to normal mode and it was fine. The next morning, it didn’t do it on my way to work, but when I left for lunch, it did it in both N and sport mode. I called the dealer, but of course, when I took it in, they could not replicate it. It will not do this in Normal or Eco.

I’ve looked around a lot on this forum but couldn’t find anything that matches my problem. Other than this, the only thing that I have experienced is prolonged starting here and there which seems to be common. It just concerns me that it is sorta random then goes away—it happens when it’s cold and completely warmed up, but more often when it is cold. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Coil Pack going bad, Crank sensor wet or going bad. Both of which are an easy fix.

If it’s happening when it’s cold it’s possibly a leaky FI. To check it, pull each plug one at s time and see if the plug is wet. If it is, it’s a leaky FI. This won’t throw a trouble code.

This sound like more of a moisture or dampness problem in an electrical connector. It can be caused by dampness in a crank sensor connector if it’s intermittent. Pull the connector to the crank position sensor. Clean the contacts and apply some dielectric grease then reconnect.

If you live in a damp climate or are driving in rain, it can happen. The connector are not water proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coil Pack going bad, Crank sensor wet or going bad. Both of which are an easy fix.

If it’s happening when it’s cold it’s possibly a leaky FI. To check it, pull each plug one at s time and see if the plug is wet. If it is, it’s a leaky FI. This won’t throw a trouble code.

This sound like more of a moisture or dampness problem in an electrical connector. It can be caused by dampness in a crank sensor connector if it’s intermittent. Pull the connector to the crank position sensor. Clean the contacts and apply some dielectric grease then reconnect.

If you live in a damp climate or are driving in rain, it can happen. The connector are not water proof.
Thanks for the reply. I live in Indiana, and it’s been wet lately. But even more than that, due to the salt on the roads, I’ve been getting car washes a lot. The car wash that I get also sprays the underbody, so that could be a big factor. The car just seems different these past few days, still running good—it’s just hard to explain. I will check it out this weekend and update the forum.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
It kinda sounds the car was going into limp mode - I know you said it wasn't happening in normal or eco but could just be that it wasn't as pronounced in normal mode. Does it feel like the throttle was cutting out at around 3k?

Did you check if there were any pending error codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It kinda sounds the car was going into limp mode - I know you said it wasn't happening in normal or eco but could just be that it wasn't as pronounced in normal mode. Does it feel like the throttle was cutting out at around 3k?

Did you check if there were any pending error codes?
Yeah, no codes and no check engine light. Everything is running well on it other than it occasionally doing what I described. I’m thinking it might be a moisture issue like RedVN said. I’m dropping it off at the dealer on Sunday. I will keep everyone posted when I find out more. Also, it only does this jerk at around 2000-2500 rpm.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Love the name and am also a HUGE fan of EVH. RIP - Eddie!!! I know who's gonna teach me all the tricks when I pass. :D Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts