Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm just shocked that the R&T journo actually admitted that the heel-toe spacing is wide! literally every other review (including an older R&T article) says that pedal spacing is really good for heel-toe. but i love my VN regardless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The spacing is not the best out there. So glad this car has Rev Matching. Road & Track got it right!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I noticed the pedal spacing was quite wide also. Instead of a subtle roll of the ankle to catch the throttle, I find I really have to pivot my heel out to the gas and give it a nice stab to heel-N-toe it. Still workable and satisfying, just have to work harder for it.

I find if I accidentally leave rev match on, I’m always still manually blipping the throttle by muscle reflex. Habit I guess.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I noticed the pedal spacing was quite wide also. Instead of a subtle roll of the ankle to catch the throttle, I find I really have to pivot my heel out to the gas and give it a nice stab to heel-N-toe it. Still workable and satisfying, just have to work harder for it.

I find if I accidentally leave rev match on, I’m always still manually blipping the throttle by muscle reflex. Habit I guess.
Ha. I always forget to turn Rev Matching on and then I downshift without blipping the gas and have a rude awakening. But I love staying in 3rd gear above 3000 RPM's and getting on it!

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing that needs to be said: The VN is the only car on this list I could've taken home to pass off as practical at all to my wife and family.

I was jonesing for an S2000 and a Miata, and my better half vetoed them. It is a true statement that on occasion I'm called upon to drive something needs a third seat and some modest cargo space.

Anyway, again, it's very cool to have Veloster N - the least expensive and the only passably practical car on the list - win the award.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I assume you're super happy with it? The documentation for it on eBay/Amazon is really crappy - the thing says there are two mounting positions? I can't see how that would work unless you just turn the gas pedal assembly and only bolt to two of the holes. Gas pedal spacers I've seen for other cars use long slots for adjustability.

Anyways, I'm planning to try the Brecks spacer once I sort out the clutch pedal extension. The Mustang extender arrives tomorrow but I've got a busy week at work, so we'll see when I get around to trying it out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes it works well. Carl from Breck's is Korean and sometimes there are point, lost in the translation.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Very well deserved. Congratulations Hyundai! We knew you had it in ya!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love this car as much as anybody, but does anyone REALLY believe the PCOTY? Editor's Choice - yes ... best FWD - yes ... best bang for the buck - yes ... best everyman's toy - yes. But c'mon, if money was no issue, would anyone pick our beloved? I've driven some of these cars, I've had several 911's and a Boxter S, and it's just not in the same class ... I'm not sure it's even in the same school. I'll give you a case in point; I can spin the N's tires at just about anytime in 1, 2 and maybe 3, I rarely spun the tires on my Carrera 4S or Turbo. But I will say this, I never saw anyone look at the Porches or take pictures ... but they have on the N!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love this car as much as anybody, but does anyone REALLY believe the PCOTY? Editor's Choice - yes ... best FWD - yes ... best bang for the buck - yes ... best everyman's toy - yes. But c'mon, if money was no issue, would anyone pick our beloved? I've driven some of these cars, I've had several 911's and a Boxter S, and it's just not in the same class ... I'm not sure it's even in the same school. I'll give you a case in point; I can spin the N's tires at just about anytime in 1, 2 and maybe 3, I rarely spun the tires on my Carrera 4S or Turbo. But I will say this, I never saw anyone look at the Porches or take pictures ... but they have on the N!
Yes, I have to agree with you. I love my VN, it is a fantastic car for the money.

BUT if price was not a consideration.... well, then I’d want the VN as my daily driver and one of the other cars (I’d be happy to “settle” for the new C8) as a weekender!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I suppose it depends on the criteria. Most fun on the street at speeds that won't take you directly to jail, sure why not. Regardless of R&T's reasoning I am glad anytime a manufacturer does something like the N, and commits to it like Hyundai did. I hope the recognition encourages other normally conservative manufacturers to do the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's funny to see so many people melting down on YT and other forums to see a lowly Hyundai having beaten out all those fancy flappy paddle cars that are priced in the twilight zone. Of course, for anyone that has driven an N, it winning PCOTY is not surprising at all given the cars level of driving engagement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If money were no object, I'd take a hard look at a Lexus RC or LC. The LC500 looks really sweet. But I haven't test-driven them.

The only "lowly" thing IMO about my Hyundai is the hard plastic interior. Yet I still think the interior makes a positive first impression, especially when you get in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If money were no object, I'd take a hard look at a Lexus RC or LC. The LC500 looks really sweet. But I haven't test-driven them.

The only "lowly" thing IMO about my Hyundai is the hard plastic interior. Yet I still think the interior makes a positive first impression, especially when you get in the driver's seat.
The N's driving experience is far, far superior to the RC F, IMHO. I can't speak to the LC.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts