Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on ordering a new 2021 Veloster N in the near future, when a new 2020 came up in my area, so I gave them a call.
The new 2021 manual Veloster N will run me $39,524+tax CDN or $30,161 USD.
The new 2020 manual Veloster N will run me $34,500+tax CDN or $26,327 USD.
A savings of $5,024 CDN, which is no chump change, and it's even more savings when you add in the sales tax.
I don't think those new bucket seats are worth $5,024 to me.
If I wanted the DCT transmission then obviously the only choice would be the 2021.
Going to check it out and test drive it tomorrow.
Decisions.....decisions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm those numbers sound a little off. Make sure the N for 26,000 has the performance package. That pricing sounds like just a standard N with out the performance package. The performance package on the for 2020 msrp should be around$ 30,125, US when I bought mine there was $1,000 rebate. The 2021 N gets lot more than just a cool bucket seats, which would be worth the price jump, just so you can easily install four point harness. Which after some rim and tire upgrades the car really needs( I'm loging1.2 g in the corners right now.) you also get Lane keep assist blind spot monitoring and forward collision alert and emergency braking. You may get wireless Apple carplay and Android auto but I'm not sure yet. And the 2021 N all come with the performance package as standard. So if you can get 2020 N with the performance package for 26k the I'd pull the trigger on that, that's close to what I paid for for mine, But I'm a Hyundai employee so I get an additional incentive.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
I second that. If the 2020 has the PP, get that! Spend the extra cash on some improvements to the car. With the extra saving it will give you a head start. Plus, with all those extra electronics and sensors will make the 2021 VN much heavier.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was going to say there is more to the 2021’s, like the driver safety and convenience features. Not just the seats. Also I got my new 2020 VN PP for 26k because they were trying to get them off the lot and I negotiated well. It can be done!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Canada and all we get up here is the top PP model.
I've called many dealers and none of them will budge on the price of the 2020's.
They all say the same thing, your discount is the $2,700 difference in MSRP price between the 2020 and 2021.
And I respond and say, no that the price difference is due to the added content of the 2021's.
They say the Veloster N does not qualify for any discounting, it's a very limited production car... blah blah blah.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am leaning towards a 2020 as well if I can find one for a good price and somewhat local (300-400 miles)

For what it’s worth, I did call my insurance agent and they quoted me $40 less per month for the 2021 than the 2020 Due to the added safety features. It could be an anomaly but that does go a long way in justifying the price if you intend to hang onto it. It’s gonna be 7-8 years before the decrease in insurance covers the increase in cost but hey, something to think about.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am leaning towards a 2020 as well if I can find one for a good price and somewhat local (300-400 miles)

For what it’s worth, I did call my insurance agent and they quoted me $40 less per month for the 2021 than the 2020 Due to the added safety features. It could be an anomaly but that does go a long way in justifying the price if you intend to hang onto it. It’s gonna be 7-8 years before the decrease in insurance covers the increase in cost but hey, something to think about.
My insurance (progressive) just considers it a veloster. They don't care about the trim levels. I kid you not, they only charge me $250 per 6 months to insure this car with mid level coverage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I second that. If the 2020 has the PP, get that! Spend the extra cash on some improvements to the car. With the extra saving it will give you a head start. Plus, with all those extra electronics and sensors will make the 2021 VN much heavier.

Best regards,

-Mike
The last thing the Veloster N needs is some additional weight and though the initial specs released show the manual version as roughly the same weight and the DCT version slightly heavier than previous years I find it hard to believe the safety and convenience features don't come at a weight cost. Plus every lane assist vehicle I've driven has caused an unnerving correction to me at some point of the drive. I trust my coffee more than it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My insurance (progressive) just considers it a veloster. They don't care about the trim levels. I kid you not, they only charge me $250 per 6 months to insure this car with mid level coverage.
That’s fantastic!! I’ll be looking at around $55 per month with the 2022 or $95 for the 2020. I might have to look into doing some shopping around if Progressive doesn’t care at all haha. I’m in Minnesota so I’m not sure how state plays into cost of insurance but I’m quoting at $1,000 deductible, full coverage, with windshield replacement coverage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm also with Progressive. Full coverage in Cali is running me $419.15 for every 6 months. I can dig it.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Ya, I am thinking Progressive next year. 299 a month for me and the wife's car with NO points on anything. I feel like that is highway robbery. I HATE Massachusetts!

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered a 2021 myself. Really do want the seats, other stuff is a nice bonus. Also hoping it gets some refining on the couple gremlins going around on earlier years.

Also, very much doubt the added driving assists add any significant weight, its just sensors. All the wiring was probably already there.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
When the Dodge's added all their electronics that car went from about 3800 lbs to over 4200 lbs. Not saying it will be that drastic to the VN, but you get the idea. This IS a track car and if used like that, weight DOES matter. I am in NO way saying the 2021 is a bad car, it just may end up being a little heavier.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
When the Dodge's added all their electronics that car went from about 3800 lbs to over 4200 lbs. Not saying it will be that drastic to the VN, but you get the idea. This IS a track car and if used like that, weight DOES matter. I am in NO way saying the 2021 is a bad car, it just may end up being a little heavier.

Best regards,

-Mike
Erm, arent you quoting base model V6 weight vs fully loaded SRT weight ?

Honestly dont think it'll change much at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
My friend had a V8 model not the V6. His was just an RT. I mean really on the 2021 VN, what's a 100lbs. right?

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
My friend had a V8 model not the V6. His was just an RT. I mean really on the 2021 VN, what's a 100lbs. right?

Br,

-Mike
I guess we'll know soon enough but looking around atm and stumbling on an official Hyundai PDF, seems like weight is pretty much the same, with the DCT being about 140lbs heavier.

So that tells me, as I thought, all the wiring is already there (dont normal high trim Velosters have all the assists already ?). Adding the sensors is insignificant.

But well, again, guess we'll know when its out and someone puts it on a scale.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess we'll know soon enough but looking around atm and stumbling on an official Hyundai PDF, seems like weight is pretty much the same, with the DCT being about 140lbs heavier.

So that tells me, as I thought, all the wiring is already there (dont normal high trim Velosters have all the assists already ?). Adding the sensors is insignificant.

But well, again, guess we'll know when its out and someone puts it on a scale.
So with an increase of 140lbs +who knows for all the safety tech, getting the 2021 DCT over the 2020 manual, will be like driving around with an adult in the passenger seat.
The extra weight may not be noticeable on the street, but may be noticeable on the race track.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So with an increase of 140lbs +who knows for all the safety tech, getting the 2021 DCT over the 2020 manual, will be like driving around with an adult in the passenger seat.
The extra weight may not be noticeable on the street, but may be noticeable on the race track.
Weight is down low and center-ish so not as bad as a passenger. Its all gonna depend on gearing more so.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys, the decision to buy the 2020 or the 2021 was not as tough a decision as I thought it would be.
A 2020 in performance blue came up in my area just as I was about to pull the trigger and order a 2021 manual N.
I was able to negotiate down the price to dealer cost saving me around $3,094 off the 2020 retail price.
The savings become even larger for the 2021 when factoring in the very hefty price increase.
By buying the 2020 I saved around $5,424 over the 2021 manual, and a whopping $9,295 over the 2021 DCT automatic. Yikes.
They also threw in a set of WeatherTech floor mats, a set of wheel locks, and my first oil change free.
These are all in Canadian dollars.
I included an ad for the 2021 Veloster N DCT.
The price for the N with a DCT here in Canada has in my opinion gotten way out of hand.
$42,994 plus tax in Ontario you are now looking at a $48,583, and that's without any incidental fees like air conditioning tax, license plates license registration fee document fees etc, from which could easily push the price well over $50,000.
I know the N is good, but I'm not sure it's $50,000+ good.
I'm just glad I could score a sweet deal on a 2020 in the color I wanted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts