Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
Meet Nora, just picked her up from Carmax last night with 896 miles on her. My Instagram handle is onetravelinggerman.
In the works: Alcantara steering wheel, e-brake, shift knob and boot as well as armrest, plus black emblems all from Kim's Garage in S. Korea. Look for him on IG.
Also, 3rd brake light mod with installing a flasher unit.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ooh I like the flasher idea for the third brake light.... I might have to poach that idea and do the same

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, nice find! I searched carmax when I was looking and there were none at the time!

Reactions: VeeTee

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh I like the flasher idea for the third brake light.... I might have to poach that idea and do the same
Thanks dude. I do happen to have another unit. If you're interested just PM your address and pay for shipping and it's yours! :) There's already a youtube video on the install but I plan on taking pics myself as well.
Cheers, Holger.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
3rd brake light flasher module install, also called a strobe, took only 20 mins.
I took some step by step pics here, the only thing not pictured are the wire connectors:
(moderators, if there is a thread for builds please let me know)

Open your trunk and notice the black plastic center piece here:

Get your fingers behind the lip and pull it off left to right. Don't be afraid to pull hard if you have to:

Once it is popped off you'll see this.

My tools of the trade and the flasher unit "GS-100A". *not pictured (bc I forgot) are the red wire crimpers:

I cut open the brake wires to expose the green and black wires:

Cut both wires and strip them. They are 20 gauge and the flasher is already pre-stripped. Attach black to black and green to red. Be sure to test your crimp job and make sure that the wires won't pop out. I then wrapped it with electrical tape (just in case):

Tuck it all away and put the long plastic cover back on:

The final result is this:
2020 Hyundai N 3rd brake light flasher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
VeeTee, I tried that brand before, and I noticed that after about 30secs of the car(enginge) running the strobe would only flicker, as like a malfunction. It only started working "normally" after i shut the car off completely and then back on again. It was like somehow the current/voltage changed while the engine was running long enough to cause malfunction.

I ended up buying a different type that you could program for different speeds and flash types/amounts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VeeTee, I tried that brand before, and I noticed that after about 30secs of the car(enginge) running the strobe would only flicker, as like a malfunction. It only started working "normally" after i shut the car off completely and then back on again. It was like somehow the current/voltage changed while the engine was running long enough to cause malfunction.

I ended up buying a different type that you could program for different speeds and flash types/amounts.
It's the craziest thing, I swear, haha! Sometimes it works just fine, other times just flashes. Ugh...
It should be simple, not this complicated ;).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks great!

How difficult was it to install all of the alcantara bits? I'm interested in picking up some of those before I get my 2021 N, I particularly like the idea of the knob/boot/handbrake/armrest, but I've heard they can be pretty tricky to install

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks great!

How difficult was it to install all of the alcantara bits? I'm interested in picking up some of those before I get my 2021 N, I particularly like the idea of the knob/boot/handbrake/armrest, but I've heard they can be pretty tricky to install
The knob and boot are really simple, all you have to do is yank on the knob to pop it off. The boot is held on by clips and should come off pretty easily once the knob has been removed. To reinstall simply snap the new boot into place and then pop the new knob onto the shifter. You'll probably have to give the new knob a good strike with the butt of your palm to set it into place but it's nothing too difficult. The armrest is fairly easy to cheat, only one screw is kind of awkward to access. The e-brake is a pain in the ass and requires you to disassemble the entire center console to install.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great!

All parts except e brake are pretty straight forward and simple to install, just as SD VeloN has mentioned. You can absolutely do the e-brake as well but be prepared to take apart the entire center column in order to gain access to the bolts etc. ;) I think they look great and feel awesome too and I'm sure you'll enjoy them as well.

For the steering wheel install I followed a youtube video. I posted about it in my thread, have a look.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does this Kim's Garage have a web site to view/price these parts? I follow his on Insta, but wasn't sure where to go for purchases. Thanks. Great looking car!
Hey Copboy4090. Thanks for the compliment.
Mr Kim does not post pricing as it fluctuates with shipping. He is pretty quick to respond however so just hit him up on IG via DM and tell him we talked. My IG handle is onetravelinggerman btw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Meet Nora, just picked her up from Carmax last night with 896 miles on her. My Instagram handle is onetravelinggerman.
In the works: Alcantara steering wheel, e-brake, shift knob and boot as well as armrest, plus black emblems all from Kim's Garage in S. Korea. Look for him on IG.
Also, 3rd brake light mod with installing a flasher unit.
Cheers
Was it hard to remove and replace the center console? I just bought my DCT and thinking of getting those Alcantara parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was it hard to remove and replace the center console? I just bought my DCT and thinking of getting those Alcantara parts.
Sweet baby Jesus, I am sorry it took me this long to get back on here.

The hardest part is a single screw under the armrest which is super hard to get to. Accessibility is tough because of how little room (tight) there is. I left it off after I put the alcantara one on tbh. No issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nora had been out of commission for nearly 2 months when she finally was properly diagnosed: New PCM & BPV. She is now at roughly 5200 miles on the odo.
I then took several weeks of wrapping her with my buddy Bun, also an N owner, and finally installed the VIS racing hood that came after waiting for nearly 8 months.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts