Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

my 2019 N PP with around 40,000 miles has been making this "induction" noise since it was new. I always assumed it was supposed to make this noise, however i have yet to find a single thread elsewhere about it, or how annoying it is. every time the car is on boost, no matter the engine mode, it squeals like a pig. this is rather annoying when you are on cruise control going up a hill trying to drive normally.

my questions are:
Is this normal? it has been doing it since we bought it new in June of 2019
If it is normal, is there any way to stop it? is this the sound generator under the windshield cowl?

video here:

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Yup, sounds like a loose connection someplace causing a boost leak. I'd start by tightening the factory inter-cooler tubing clamps. Also, check the cai connections. Keep us posted.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I looked through the engine bay and didn't find anything obviously loose. Ill be booking an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I bought this car for the warranty and im going use it while I got it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I looked through the engine bay and didn't find anything obviously loose. Ill be booking an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I bought this car for the warranty and im going use it while I got it!
I was about to say, you put up with it for 40k miles?? Bring that sucker to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
It's not normal and you need to take it into the dealership service, to listen and diagnosis the issue. I don't believe this is a boost leak. This ^ I believe is a turbo going bad. I've heard it before and your's is quite pronounced. @MikeMr305 had the same sound and it was a turbo going bad.

Don't wait and continue to run it. Schedule an appointment with your dealership service.

You can disconnect the sound generator but I don't believe this is the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was about to say, you put up with it for 40k miles?? Bring that sucker to the dealer.
What can I say, i thought it was just part of the 'experience' no matter how annoying it was. i always drove around with the windows down and the exhaust valve open so it wasn't ever too bad for me. However my fiancee mostly drives in normal mode and i can hear the noise over the car phone and that was unbearable.

It's not normal and you need to take it into the dealership service, to listen and diagnosis the issue. I don't believe this is a boost leak. This ^ I believe is a turbo going bad. I've heard it before and your's is quite pronounced. @MikeMr305 had the same sound and it was a turbo going bad.

Don't wait and continue to run it. Schedule an appointment with your dealership service.

You can disconnect the sound generator but I don't believe this is the issue.
Scheduling an appointment this morning. I'm sure the Hyundai dealer hates me by now with all the warranty work they have had to cover.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What can I say, i thought it was just part of the 'experience' no matter how annoying it was. i always drove around with the windows down and the exhaust valve open so it wasn't ever too bad for me. However my fiancee mostly drives in normal mode and i can hear the noise over the car phone and that was unbearable.

Scheduling an appointment this morning. I'm sure the Hyundai dealer hates me by now with all the warranty work they have had to cover.
What else has the car needed? Just curious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What else has the car needed? Just curious.
so far it has had:
new set of wheels due to the clear coat peeling at 30k miles - took 3 months to arrive
New rear muffler - took 4 appointments at 3 dealers to final diagnose the rattle (internal baffles broke loose) - took 4 months to arrive. then they forgot to plug the butterfly valve in
shift knob trim broke and knob was replaced
headrest was making an awful squeaking noise over bumps - dont know what they did but it fixed it
driver door handle stopped working from the outside. mechanism was replaced.

not warranty but im about to be on my third windshield.

now:
turbo noise
blower motor rattles on low

it also has an issue with 6th gear half engaging when it is cold out that it has been doing since new. its imconsistent when it does it and no dealer has been able to replicate it.

Its been a fun car and a blast on track but all these problems at 40k miles is really starting to wear on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You say it's done this since new, has the sound gotten louder or changed in any way?
no change, hence why i thought maybe it was just supposed to be some 'cool turbo noise' that i didn't find very cool.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
138 Posts
Sounds like a whistle more than a whine and IME, this is usually either a positive or negative pressure air intake leak at one of the rubber hose boots. You're not going to be able to find it visually. Just check each boot clamp fore and aft of the turbo to make sure it is tight. I'd check the hoses before the turbo first since they are the easiest to get to.

Reactions: Ghost

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
update to this: finally got it to the dealer and they called me back. they said they can hear it but cant find where it is coming from. Claimed they mic'd the engine bay but couldn't locate it. They claim this is the first time hyundai has heard of this issue and are waiting for a call back from hyundai USA's tech line. Service adviser asked if my windshield had been replaced (it had) and that it might be air getting through the windshield seal.... smh. I guess air only comes through the windshield seal when the motor makes more than 5 PSI and gets louder the higher the boost regardless of speed. is everyone else's dealer this incompetent? this is the best one in my area after even more abysmal service from the other two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
update to this: finally got it to the dealer and they called me back. they said they can hear it but cant find where it is coming from. Claimed they mic'd the engine bay but couldn't locate it. They claim this is the first time hyundai has heard of this issue and are waiting for a call back from hyundai USA's tech line. Service adviser asked if my windshield had been replaced (it had) and that it might be air getting through the windshield seal.... smh. I guess air only comes through the windshield seal when the motor makes more than 5 PSI and gets louder the higher the boost regardless of speed. is everyone else's dealer this incompetent? this is the best one in my area after even more abysmal service from the other two.
i have a 2019 non pp and have the exact noise. i hear it when i start to build boost probably around 5 psi. i just put on new tires and going to do an oil change then take it in. hopefully they will give me a straight answer as to what it is. i was thinking its the turbo going out or a broken stud for the exhaust manifold gasket causing the whistle sound. ill update you as to what i hear.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
99 Posts
My car had the exact same noise when I got it back from the dealer after having the LSD replaced under warranty. They messed up the gasket on the metal hot pipe coming off the back of the turbo when reinstalling it. Took it back in, they replaced the seal and all was well. Could be worse, I'm just speaking from a similar experience I had with mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
new update:
the dealer had a hyundai field engineer come out after none of their techs could determine the problem. he diagnosed it as a failing differential, so they put a new transmission in. Big surprise, new transmission went in and it still makes the same noise. so they are back to banging their heads no matter how many times i say look at the turbo. it has now been in the shop for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Still guessing and repair by replacement. What a shame.

Cant hurt to take a look at the turbocharger. The already threw away $3k plus in a new transmission, what’s another $1500 or so?🤣

They’ll get it eventually, let them worry about it. Just drive what they provided.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still guessing and repair by replacement. What a shame.

Cant hurt to take a look at the turbocharger. The already threw away $3k plus in a new transmission, what’s another $1500 or so?🤣

They’ll get it eventually, let them worry about it. Just drive what they provided.
thats the best part! no loaner! thankfully i have 5 other vehicles to choose from

·
Registered
2 Posts
new update:
the dealer had a hyundai field engineer come out after none of their techs could determine the problem. he diagnosed it as a failing differential, so they put a new transmission in. Big surprise, new transmission went in and it still makes the same noise. so they are back to banging their heads no matter how many times i say look at the turbo. it has now been in the shop for 3 weeks.
did you ever got this figured out?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts