Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to make a thread for the funsies and share some mods I haven't seen here yet. Assist spring "delete" and JBR adapter. What I did this weekend...

• Punched out the assist spring in the clutch pedal. Extremely easy and quick. Pedal is far more linear now. Not brutally stiff either.
  • Installed the JBR short shift adapter JBR 2019+ Veloster N Short Shift Adapter [HYUVN-SSA] - $89.99 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance to go along with the forge short shift kit. I only have the main shift plate of the forge set installed because I couldn't get the larger of the 2 to operate without a shifty neutral that causes lockout when going into 1st.
  • Boomba solid bushings for under the shifter frame and under the hood as well.
Results are incredible, completely different car.

Next up on the wish list:
  • downpipe, likely from depo racing 2019+ Veloster N Downpipe with Flex Section Catless can't beat the price but curious what the quality will be like.
  • Intake. Most likely Takeda, universally praised. and the forge turbo inlet tube. Once they come back in stock the throttle body and intake manifold spacers as well from Boomba.
Basically looking to increase sound, and driver inputs.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Ya, the JBR short shifter is GREAT! No complaints. The only thing is I didn't do the transmission items. I just went with the JBR short shifter adapter and their shifter base bushings. Works great! Nice choices you made too. Welcome!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Punched out the assist spring in the clutch pedal. Extremely easy and quick. Pedal is far more linear now. Not brutally stiff either.
Can you elaborate on this one? Where is it located, and is it easily reversible in case I decide I prefer the feel with the spring? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you elaborate on this one? Where is it located, and is it easily reversible in case I decide I prefer the feel with the spring? Thanks!
Sure. It's a common "mod" that 86 owners use(our previous car was an 86, current are STI/Velo) as their pedal for the same reason.

On Veloster N pedal the assist spring is the small spring on the right hand side of the assembly (the return spring, the one you don't want to remove, is dead center and much larger). The end of the spring rests in a cradle and essentially adds more force about 2 inches in to the travel as it pivots which gives a disjointed feeling of varied effort(sort of like falling up stairs is how I describe it). Someone holds down the clutch pedal with a shovel or broom handle and another person pushes it out with a screwdriver. Just leave it hanging it doesn't interfere with anything.

I'll be transparent and say I haven't put it back in before, but based on its design it should be as easy as someone holding the pedal down and the other person letting the end of the spring slide up the same screw driver back into the perch it rests in.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the description! A couple of photos would be appreciate but you already wrote so much, so thank you. Once doing work like that with friends in close proximity is a thing again for me, I might just give it a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, the JBR short shifter is GREAT! No complaints. The only thing is I didn't do the transmission items. I just went with the JBR short shifter adapter and their shifter base bushings. Works great! Nice choices you made too. Welcome!

Best regards,

-Mike
Thanks! I've been lurking a while deciding whether its a forever car and researching how to make it what I want rather than go looking for something else.

Ya compared to the forge set it's significantly more refined and doesn't effect how smooth the shifts are, just a slight increase in effort. I wish I had gotten the Boomba Short throw plate for that little extra weight on the swing of the pivots but you live and learn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, thanks for the description! A couple of photos would be appreciate but you already wrote so much, so thank you. Once doing work like that with friends in close proximity is a thing again for me, I might just give it a try.
Ya it's super straight forward (86 is WAY harder 🤣) but there are some pedal diagrams I'll see if I can find them again. The only reason I could see putting it back in is if you plan to put a heavy clutch in to handle more power and the clutch pedal becomes significantly heavier but at this point there's very little info/experience for mods like that.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
My primary concern is about my commute to work once that's a thing again. I have to deal with heavy stop and go traffic for part of it every day, and I wouldn't want to make the clutch heaviness something I dread. So I think I'm going to hold off on this until a friend can help and there's some established info on reinstallation. I'm 500 miles in and the 1st to 2nd jerkiness has been an unpleasant surprise, and I knew it was the result of how numb the clutch feels before I even saw your post. But as someone new to modding myself, I'm going to be patient and just keep driving and acclimating myself to the clutch with the stock feel. If a couple thousand miles don't cure what ails me, it's nice to know this mod is an option.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone going to comment on that $299 downpipe? It also shows $399 with a hi-flow cat. These pictures look awfully familiar for some reason...

-Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts