Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

19x8.5 +45 Konig Ampliform

14K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  PBJames 
#1 · (Edited)
Got the new wheels on the car today, still on stock tires. Have to say, losing about 12lbs per rim/tire has made a VERY noticeable difference. The best way I can think to describe it, is the car just feels more eager, lighter on its feet, literally.

I didn't weigh the wheels myself, but Konig lists weight at 20.2 lbs. Hopefully putting me at 42 lbs per rim/tire. Either way, very happy with the look, very very minimal poke, no rubbing yet, and happy to have shaved 48 lbs in total off the car!

(I am aware that the car is dirty)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

[/QUOTE]
I almost bought these but wanted to keep with 5mm change of OEM. I went with Enkei same size and width. Best improvement dollar for dollar pound for pound. The rotational and unsprung weight reduction effects is amazing! Dropping 10lbs is roughly equates to 100-120lbs sprung weight reduction. So a feel of 400lbs lighter!!! The cars feels amazing!!!!
Nice wheels!!! Not to much poke.

Reactions: SD VeloN
#5 ·
I almost bought these but wanted to keep with 5mm change of OEM. I went with Enkei same size and width. Best improvement dollar for dollar pound for pound. The rotational and unsprung weight reduction effects is amazing! Dropping 10lbs is roughly equates to 100-120lbs sprung weight reduction. So a feel of 400lbs lighter!!! The cars feels amazing!!!!
Nice wheels!!! Not to much poke.
I've seen your posts worrying about the overall change in geometry with a lesser offset. I don't really know anything about that, but while my Rim offset is 10mm off of stock, the rim itself is 12.7mm wider, making the effective offset only about 4mm off of stock due to the additional width to the inside and outside of the hub. It's a little easier to visualize with one of those rim size comparison sites.

Disclaimer:
I have no idea what I am talking about.

#6 ·
I've seen your posts worrying about the overall change in geometry with a lesser offset. I don't really know anything about that, but while my Rim offset is 10mm off of stock, the rim itself is 12.7mm wider, making the effective offset only about 4mm off of stock due to the additional width to the inside and outside of the hub. It's a little easier to visualize with one of those rim size comparison sites.

Disclaimer:
I have no idea what I am talking about.[/QUOTE]

The offset changes your scrub radius. In our case, we've added positive scrub radius which in FWD increases tq steer effects overall steering feel by increasing weight. I positively have increased tq steer. Where the car had very little almost unnoticeable it is much more prevalent now. The effective offset does not factor in king scrub radius but king pin (offset) angle does. I wanted to preserve the OEM steering feel as much as possible as it is very very good.

#9 ·
It's manageable but its there. Probably on short quick direction changes under wot will be more noticeable as in autoX. On road course not as much. All i know is a 5mm change and positive scrub radius under hard street driving it has definitely increased tq steer on my car. Albeit, i have quicker acceleration, larger contact patch and a flatter body through corners.

Reactions: Spartan.N
#12 ·
Down the road I am thinking about going with the same width but at 18". I will be tracking the car. First track day coming up, really want to know how to car handles with the factory setup and what limitations I will find.
About torque steer, I wonder if it's due to the car's eLSD and TC setup for the factory wheel/tire combo.

#13 ·
I've never really experienced much torque steer on good roads. If the road isn't great though the car can wander a bit under hard acceleration, but that's more the combination of a bad road and FWD.

I love the way the car feels now and would not go back to 30+ lb rims. I also notice my front tires have wear all the way out to the sidewall under normal driving now, so what lateralgrip mentioned is holding true, I have a larger contact patch for sure with the wider rim.

#16 ·
Down the road I am thinking about going with the same width but at 18". I will be tracking the car. First track day coming up, really want to know how to car handles with the factory setup and what limitations I will find.
About torque steer, I wonder if it's due to the car's eLSD and TC setup for the factory wheel/tire combo.
I just ordered a set of bronze Konig Dekagram wheels 18x8.5, +45mm. Quoted weight per wheel is 19.4lbs. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/konig-dekagram I won't be tracking the car but planning on autoX. I'll let you know how it goes when it comes next week.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.