Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels I'm considering are Avid-1 AV06's that are 18 x 8.5 +35. I see people running both 225/40/18's and 235/40/18's so I'm not sure which works better for a stock set-up. I'm concerned about rubbing. Anyone have this set-up now and do you have any fitment issues? Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
The wheels I'm considering are Avid-1 AV06's that are 18 x 8.5 +35. I see people running both 225/40/18's and 235/40/18's so I'm not sure which works better for a stock set-up. I'm concerned about rubbing. Anyone have this set-up now and do you have any fitment issues? Thanks!
You won’t rub. I’d go with the 235/40/18. However, before you purchase+35 i suggest you read my review of my wheels which are +38.

You also will not be able to lower unless you go with -3.5 camber front and rear.

-JE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You won’t rub. I’d go with the 235/40/18. However, before you purchase+35 i suggest you read my review of my wheels which are +38.

You also will not be able to lower unless you go with -3.5 camber front and rear.

-JE
I read your review of the +38....why do you recommend the 245/40/18 over the 235/40/18 on 18 x 8.5 +45 offset wheels? I really don't want to alter my steering geometry much but all the wheels I like are 35-45 offsets.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I read your review of the +38....why do you recommend the 245/40/18 over the 235/40/18 on 18 x 8.5 +45 offset wheels? I really don't want to alter my steering geometry much but all the wheels I like are 35-45 offsets.
I like wider tires cause you get more lateral grip and I bought this car for cornering and not for straightline speed.

The most important thing you need to know is that your steering geometry is affected most by the offset of wheel you pick, +35 vs +45 will change the car a lot more, than the tire size you run comparing 225 vs 235.

225 will be better in the wet. 235 will be better in the dry and cornering. If both have a +40 aspect ratio (sidewall) then the 235 will give you a little more sidewall and comfort.

+35 wheel with a 225/40/18 or a 235/40/18 will perform worse than a
+45 wheel with a 225/40/18 or a 235/40/18.

What do you want the most? Comfort or performance?

If comfort run a 235/45/18.
If performance run a 245/35/18.
If a blend of the two then run a 235/40/18.

Blessings,
-JE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like wider tires cause you get more lateral grip and I bought this car for cornering and not for straightline speed.

The most important thing you need to know is that your steering geometry is affected most by the offset of wheel you pick, +35 vs +45 will change the car a lot more, than the tire size you run comparing 225 vs 235.

225 will be better in the wet. 235 will be better in the dry and cornering. If both have a +40 aspect ratio (sidewall) then the 235 will give you a little more sidewall and comfort.

+35 wheel with a 225/40/18 or a 235/40/18 will perform worse than a
+45 wheel with a 225/40/18 or a 235/40/18.

What do you want the most? Comfort or performance?

If comfort run a 235/45/18.
If performance run a 245/35/18.
If a blend of the two then run a 235/40/18.

Blessings,
-JE
Thank you!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thank you!
You are welcome. I live in Texas so I went w/ a summer performance tire biased towards dry handling, cornering, and maximum grip. I work from home so I hardly drive anywhere in the rain and that wasnt a consideration for me. If I was living in a place that had more proper seasons then I probably would of went with an all season or touring tire to maximize comfort on the road.

You cannot have it all. You have to pick a direction. This is also always my biggest struggle.

The chinese have a saying "if you chase two rabbits - both will escape."

Also, didn't put it in last message but if you run a 235/45/18 for comfort then your wheel has to be +45 or larger and an 8in rim- 8.5 wont work.(because it pushes the wheel out beyond the fenderwell. Otherwise, if your suspension setting is on soft and you go over a bump the front will compress too much and your tire will hit your fenderwell.

-JE

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you!
I absolutely second @ProjectVeloN in that you might want to reconsider +35. The closer you can get to stock offset (+55) the better in my opinion. I run 225/45/18 with a 18x8 +35 rim on stock suspension and rub pretty hard on major dips and bumps but my assumption is that has a LOT to do with the +35 Offset poking my wheels 20mm which is about an inch off of the stock wheel set up. with your situation you also have an extra .5 inches of width on the rim to deal with... if available get +45! but read the testimonials there are a lot on this page! good luck

·
Registered
587 Posts
I absolutely second @ProjectVeloN in that you might want to reconsider +35. The closer you can get to stock offset (+55) the better in my opinion. I run 225/45/18 with a 18x8 +35 rim on stock suspension and rub pretty hard on major dips and bumps but my assumption is that has a LOT to do with the +35 Offset poking my wheels 20mm which is about an inch off of the stock wheel set up. with your situation you also have an extra .5 inches of width on the rim to deal with... if available get +45! but read the testimonials there are a lot on this page! good luck
Totally agree with what @bjbailer said.

-JE

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think I have decided on a wheel.....KONIG OVERSTEER 18 X 8 +45. Just want to nail down the right tire size as I mostly commute (130 miles daily) and want comfort without sacrificing too much performance. What tire size would you put on this wheel?
Man thats a great wheel. You wont regret it! That's what I wish I did. My gut told me to go with that one but I didnt. I think that size and offset is perfect!

235/40/18. Also, you car will fell more sporty and alive from the weight savings. You should save around 6 lbs per corner!

Watch these 2 videos. This is one of my favorite channels on Youtube. They are long but well worth it. You will get more comfort with an All Season Tire but more performance with a UHP All Season Tire. If you want comfort do not pick a pure summer/performance tire.

-JE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man thats a great wheel. You wont regret it! That's what I wish I did. My gut told me to go with that one but I didnt. I think that size and offset is perfect!

235/40/18. Also, you car will fell more sporty and alive from the weight savings. You should save around 6 lbs per corner!

Watch these 2 videos. This is one of my favorite channels on Youtube. They are long but well worth it. You will get more comfort with an All Season Tire but more performance with a UHP All Season Tire. If you want comfort do not pick a pure summer/performance tire.

-JE
I took your advice and ordered the wheels and 235/40/18 tires. I went with the gloss red Oversteers and can't wait to see them on my performance blue VN. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I took your advice and ordered the wheels and 235/40/18 tires. I went with the gloss red Oversteers and can't wait to see them on my performance blue VN. Thanks for all your help!
Ahhh RED!!!!! That’s interesting! Can’t wait to see what that looks like!

What brand and model tires did you go with?

- JE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts