Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

My name is Mark, I currently live in Pennsylvania, I purchased this car in late July to be my daily driver...Covering all of New England for my company. I have to say that I really enjoy this car and its drivability. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for for oil, I do oil changes at 3-4000 miles. I used Redline 70/75 gear oil for my tranny and I changed it at 11,000 miles. There was very little metal sticking to the magnet so I was happy. The Redline oil made the shifting much more solid. Since I travel so much, I had the dealer add Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 tires...took some of the snappy handling away but I can already tell they will last longer than the summer treads that came on the car...Saved the PZero's for a second set of rims that I'll be getting soon.

I have a couple of observations and questions I would like to share with you...
1. There is a flutter in the Turbo on N/Custom mode (I think caused by the heat shield's vibration on the turbo me thinks. This is after taking everything out of the car that would vibrate). If I am wrong, can someone tell me if this is an issue they have and solutions taken?
2. I am a very spirited driver and the car delivers every time...However, I am starting to feel the car loosen up. I am hearing some clunks under the car (sounds like a loose strut or something) after hitting irregularities in the road... Chassis bolts/ strut bolts, how often should I check them and retourque them down?
3. After long highway hauls in wet weather and never needing your breaks until you NEED them...Check your breaks often to keep heat in them...It's a little unnerving needing your breaks and there isn't much there until you get them warmed up. Anyone else have this issue?

This is what I have seen to date. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to clarify the Turbo rattling...it happens after its good and hot. 80mph for 2 hours or so. When I downshift into 4th and accelerate to 100 or so I hear it. I do not hear it when its not working as hot. I think its the heat shield vibrating on the bolt on the top holding the heat shield folded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very well could be a heat shield but one other thing to consider (depending what it sounds like) is it being the electronic sound generator rattling. I only mention this because you said you only notice it in N or N custom and I would expect a heat shield to rattle in any mode.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I want to clarify the Turbo rattling...it happens after its good and hot. 80mph for 2 hours or so. When I downshift into 4th and accelerate to 100 or so I hear it. I do not hear it when its not working as hot. I think its the heat shield vibrating on the bolt on the top holding the heat shield folded. Any ideas?
I had a weird rattle too and it turned out to be the heat shield.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
430 Posts
With a lot of driving I would recommend rigid collars be installed. They did wonders for my Genesis Coupe. I am installing mine this winter while my cars sits up on jack stands. They will help keep your chassis solid. Really cheap and effective mod IMHO.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I had a weird rattle too and it turned out to be the heat shield.
Sometimes it the heat shield, other times it the Active Engine Sound Generator under the windshield cowl. There's a couple of fixes for both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts