Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently passed the 1-year mark in owning a 2020 black base Veloster N. Have logged 17k miles.

That's plenty of time to get past the honeymoon.

I'd love to hear what other 1-year owners think about their VN, especially their perspectives that might have emerged from the longer time frame spanning all seasons.

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My thoughts from the 1-year perspective

• Most fun car I've owned. Period.
  • Going to VTEC on the 8th gen Civic Si is more exhilarating for that moment. But you don't get that moment often.
  • Practical car for me. Carries my wife and daughter just fine. Comfortable enough for a 2-hour drive. Also carries all the groceries I need.
  • I do not get tired of the burble and pops in custom N mode. In fact, I'm learning to stay in custom N mode more often in the neighborhood by staying under 4k to avoid pops, rather than going to boring Normal mode.
  • The black VN is not really a head-turner. Forget about attracting the attention of the crowd compared to a Corvette or other hot sports car. I love the VN, but you have to take off your beer-goggles if you think everyone will love the looks.
  • The interior is cheapened considerably by the plastic. And I don't care. But, again, if wow-factor is a major priority, the interior will blow it for you.
  • My Hyundai service experiences have been great so far.
  • No service or extraordinary maintenance in these first 17k miles.
  • The blink spot on the back is an issue to be aware of. My wife had to yell once (she makes me nervous anyway at times) that I was backing up and another car was approaching a crowded parking lot. I would have seen it easily with my Civic Si.
  • The Android CarPlay is hampered by trying to keep the cable on my phone. Sure, that's solvable, but not worth the hassle, especially with spirited driving. I usually use Bluetooth and for my android music, and it works just fine. You can even call out commands to your phone sometimes this way.
  • My headrest cloth is worn. Probably will get a cover for it.
  • Having the VN during COVID has been a blessing. During brief unemployment and now eternal WFH, it's great to get out on the farm roads close to my neighborhood.
  • Joe Raiti is my favorite Veloster N fan-boy on YouTube. He needs to buy one!
  • Glad to have the Hyundai new car warranty.
  • Don't really regret going with the base to save a few bucks. I pop and burble well enough. I probably would miss the PP package eLSD if I have had it.
  • Still haven't done the track.
  • Somewhat disappointed to hear the Veloster N hasn't sold more.
  • Embrace the unique, quirky, superior experience fully, and you'll be just fine.

Again, big thumbs up.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
January 30th will have me on the two year mark, and so far I've managed to log just over 38k miles. I still never stop enjoying this car, no matter the season.

In the summer, this thing grips hard and there are few commuter cars that can keep up in the corners (Sadly, where I live, Porsche 911's are really common, so, you know.. can't leave those.) But, come the winter time when grip is lessened on cold tires, but air gets colder, this car is still tons of fun in straight lines. I know it's a corner focused car, but it is still properly quick.

I have yet to have any issues with the car yet, though when it is cold, I do experience the HPFP not performing optimally. It goes away when the car warms up but it is still an annoyance. Other than that, it still has zero issues and the only warning light I have ever had is because of the cold weather dropping my tire pressure.

Future Plans: Next year, come summer season, I plan on making tons of handling changes all at once so that I ensure I can feel the difference. All at once, I plan on installing the front strut brace, trunk brace, two-point brace (under car), and 4-point brace (under car). I might even throw in the Rigid Collar kit, Anti-Lift kit from Whiteline, and Camber bolts for a bit more turn in. I'm sure this will have my car in the garage for a couple days while all this is done, but I think it will feel massively different when I'm done.

I cannot wait to push this car more, because I'm sure it has much more to give (even without hardware mods). It would benefit way more from a driver mod which is why I plan on doing track days next year. This car continues to give me what I want with even the ordinary drive to work in the morning. That's the reason I got this car. I know I have to drive to the store, I will always have to drive to work, road trips, visiting family, etc. If our life is dictated by travel, why not make the traveling part amazing? That's what this car does perfectly. My friend drove it and said it makes real life feel like a video game... he drives a Dodge Viper and a WRX for a daily. Other passengers have said it feels like they are in a roller coaster with an exhaust.

Hyundai did this car right.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
Don't really regret going with the base to save a few bucks. I pop and burble well enough. I probably would miss the PP package eLSD if I have had it.
While it lacks the valving of the PP, if you like the burbles and pops, the base actually has the better exhaust. Has a straight mid-pipe instead of the resonator found on the PP, and the muffler goes straight through for better flow than the valved system can manage. Although subjective, I think the base also gets the better looking wheels and a better wheel/tire combo than the PP.

I don't think anyone should be concerned about the "power difference", because all the testing done so far, has shown that Hyundai just underrated the base model and they actually produce the same power. Any real-world differences in the tune are extremely minor at best.

That said, the base does have smaller front brakes, lacks the eLSD and has slightly taller gearing, but I think those being negatives depends entirely on your eventual plans. Keeping the car stock means you probably are missing out just a bit. But if you're adding power, I think the taller gearing is actually better suited for the car. The brakes are neither here nor there. If you really need the braking performance, you're going to go aftermarket anyway and you'll never notice the difference between the base and PP. The eLSD being a plus or negative entirely depends on if/when we see an aftermarket track LSD. As great as the eLSD is, a track LSD is simply going to perform at another level, and I think the base model would actually be best suited for installing it, because the computer isn't going to freak when you remove the eLSD.

Edit: Looks like Wavetrac is already developing an ATB LSD for the N. Given that, I think I'd safely say the PP is a great deal if you want to stay stock. But if you're going to be spending money on modifying your car, you may actually be better off with the base model (in much the same way with a Jeep; most people that super-modify them buy the absolute base model).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While it lacks the valving of the PP, if you like the burbles and pops, the base actually has the better exhaust. Has a straight mid-pipe instead of the resonator found on the PP, and the muffler goes straight through for better flow than the valved system can manage. Although subjective, I think the base also gets the better looking wheels and a better wheel/tire combo than the PP.

I don't think anyone should be concerned about the "power difference", because all the testing done so far, has shown that Hyundai just underrated the base model and they actually produce the same power. Any real-world differences in the tune are extremely minor at best.

That said, the base does have smaller front brakes, lacks the eLSD and has slightly taller gearing, but I think those being negatives depends entirely on your eventual plans. Keeping the car stock means you probably are missing out just a bit. But if you're adding power, I think the taller gearing is actually better suited for the car. The brakes are neither here nor there. If you really need the braking performance, you're going to go aftermarket anyway and you'll never notice the difference between the base and PP. The eLSD being a plus or negative entirely depends on if/when we see an aftermarket track LSD. As great as the eLSD is, a track LSD is simply going to perform at another level, and I think the base model would actually be best suited for installing it, because the computer isn't going to freak when you remove the eLSD.

Edit: Looks like Wavetrac is already developing an ATB LSD for the N. Given that, I think I'd safely say the PP is a great deal if you want to stay stock. But if you're going to be spending money on modifying your car, you may actually be better off with the base model (in much the same way with a Jeep; most people that super-modify them buy the absolute base model).
Wow. That's the most positive post I've read about having the base version!

I have considered the 18" wheel size to be an advantage for a daily driver like myself. I'm no expert, but some reviewers have said the 19" wheels on the PP pose more of risk for wear or blow-out.

If time goes by and I still love the car, I'll definitely consider the LSD options you mention. Especially if I finally go to the track and become addicted to that experience.

As for the exhaust sound, I had never read that the base could actually have a better tone. Again, to me it's great as it is.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the performance blue base N more than a year ago. I don't know where you live, but here in NC I get lots of looks when Im driving by. I think I'm the only one who got N in my region. But I din't get the car to get lots of looks, got it because of the reviews and my love of hot hatch and driving crazy from time to time.

Driving to and from work used to be lame and depressing. When I got my N, it felt like I was a kid, even after a year of owning it. So far I have only done basic maintenance, oil change and trans fluid change. I daily drive it almost everyday. Zero problem, no warning lights. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.

I agree with SamanthaKnowsAll on exhaust. Base N has more base sound than PP. Even if PP is in normal mode. Some people even said that it sounded like a V8.

Overall, I think Hyundai got this thing just right. More years of N fun to come!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've just made over a year with my 2020 VN PP. While my odometer mileage is lower than I thought it would be at this time because of Covid, my daily commutes to the office, 2 long road trips (round trip over 700 miles each), and canyon runs all have been pulled off without a hitch and the engaging and fun to drive nature of the car always shines through. I had every intention of getting it out on the track but C-19 derailed that, though I still may get in on some end of year events. The base VN exhaust sounds very nice but please don't get it twisted how good the eLSD in the PP is. An electronically controlled, multi-clutch LSD is a top notch piece of equipment and it has been beaten to death on track already so it's not exactly just a street unit. Cusco and Kaaz are multi clutch LSDs that many track cars use and Hyundai added electronic control to boot. It's awesome that there is a LSD coming for the base model though(y)

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
An electronically controlled, multi-clutch LSD is a top notch piece of equipment and it has been beaten to death on track already so it's not exactly just a street unit. Cusco and Kaaz are multi clutch LSDs that many track cars use and Hyundai added electronic control to boot. It's awesome that there is a LSD coming for the base model though(y)
It's designed to replace the eLSD; it also just happens to work in the base model. Factory LSDs are almost always a compromise, because they want to reduce the twitchiness found in most aftermarket LSDs. The trade-off is that they don't transfer power as fast and generally leave a lot of room for improvement if you don't mind the changed handling characteristics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's designed to replace the eLSD; it also just happens to work in the base model. Factory LSDs are almost always a compromise, because they want to reduce the twitchiness found in most aftermarket LSDs. The trade-off is that they don't transfer power as fast and generally leave a lot of room for improvement if you don't mind the changed handling characteristics.
Thanks for the information. I've had a Wavetrac in a car I no longer own and i currently have an MFactory in my other car. Because they're both helical gear type LSDs I've never found either to be twitchy like the aggressively set up clutch type LSDs, e.g. Cusco/Kaaz. I have plenty to improve upon regarding my driving before the factory eLSD becomes a problem or a limiting factor:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts